So, how was the convention for you?

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Another thing to consider besides the economy, is that, except for a handful of big name players, all the players that I would spend a fortune on and travel so far to see, are all dead or they don't play any more. I'm sure I would enjoy most everyone performing but the draw is just not there for me any more.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Richard, I get what you're saying. So, stay home and don't support it.
Tommy Gibbons, disaster? Not hardly, not even close to accurate.
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

My apologies
Last edited by Sid Hudson on 3 Sep 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill L. Wilson

The Big Show.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

In Mr. Sinklers defense, he did say he would enjoy most of the performers. Personally I like to go to these types of shows to look at parts and used stuff. The Phoenix Show had a small set-up of vendors selling used goods and it seems to work for them. I have never stayed to hear the pickin', I just mosey in, see if there's anything I can't live without. So really, the pickers as good as they are, (and everyone of them can play circles around me), are not really a draw for me either. I play every weekend, and enjoy it so much that I hate to miss even one night, to go watch someone else play. And it's not even the money, cause there ain't none, it's just the love of Steel Guitar, and gettin' to pick it.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Good on Lynn and Tommy and Rusty, a diverse trio who have all contributed in their own peculiar way to the titillation of the steel guitar. I first met Tommy in the 70’s at some club he was playing in Nashville and he invited me up on stage to check out, and even play, his guitar on break. The first time I met Lynn was at Deeman’s Den and he turned to me with this great big black oval thing about 10 inches across in his hand and asked me if I wanted to split his last pill with him. Never met Rusty, but I reckon he’s a good ol’ boy, too.
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Richard Sinkler

Deleted
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 3 Sep 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

My apologies
Richard Sinkler

Sid... No problem.
Samuel Vance

A Great Introduction to Steel Guitar

Post by Samuel Vance »

Preface: I cannot comment on how this year's convention compares to years past and make no attempt to do so.

My Two Cents:
I am a total newbie to steel guitar (Keyboard player) and I bought my first steel guitar this weekend. (Carter D-10) I was welcomed into the community with open arms.

I have no business interjecting into this conversation with the likes of Tommy White, Lynn Owsley and others chiming in, but the perspective of the convention from a total newbie was great. Everyone was more than willing to answer my questions.

Looking to the Future:
I think that the steel guitar community must think about how it carries itself and how it appears to the beginner. This forum can be intimidating to a beginner, but putting faces with names and getting important tips and tricks from experienced players is great and can only happen at a convention like this.

I'm 27 and saw very few my age at the convention. The community must figure out ways to attract young musicians or the art of steel guitar will die. It seems to me that downplaying or griping about the convention is counterproductive. If you don't like it, you have a vote; don't come.

-Sam Vance
Wally Moyers

Re: A Great Introduction to Steel Guitar

Post by Wally Moyers »

Samuel Vance wrote:Preface: I cannot comment on how this year's convention compares to years past and make no attempt to do so.

My Two Cents:
I am a total newbie to steel guitar (Keyboard player) and I bought my first steel guitar this weekend. (Carter D-10) I was welcomed into the community with open arms.

I have no business interjecting into this conversation with the likes of Tommy White, Lynn Owsley and others chiming in, but the perspective of the convention from a total newbie was great. Everyone was more than willing to answer my questions.

Looking to the Future:
I think that the steel guitar community must think about how it carries itself and how it appears to the beginner. This forum can be intimidating to a beginner, but putting faces with names and getting important tips and tricks from experienced players is great and can only happen at a convention like this.

I'm 27 and saw very few my age at the convention. The community must figure out ways to attract young musicians or the art of steel guitar will die. It seems to me that downplaying or griping about the convention is counterproductive. If you don't like it, you have a vote; don't come.

-Sam Vance
Amen!
Joan Cox

Post by Joan Cox »

I had a great time as always. This was my 37th consecutive year to attend. Yes, a lot has changed. I will continue to go each year. I see lots of people in St Louis that I don't get to see at any other time of the year. There are still lots of great players to be heard. I look forward to the show each year. Joan Cox
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sam, I know many of us. including Scotty would be all ears to hear any suggestions you might have on attracting more twenty-somethings to the convention. Any thoughts?
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

I'm sure that Sam has some good ideas and has hit the nail on the head. In one of my businesses we design and install large Audio, Video and Lighting systems for churches all over the country. The reason the mega church spends this kind of money (sometimes 4-5 million) is to be relevant (closely connected or appropriate to the matter at hand.) In other words, they want to be appealing their target audience. I believe we need more young or young minded players at these shows. They may not be as good of players as the ones playing now but they may be more relevant to the young players. I'm not saying replace the old guys (I'm 60 myself) but try to add and be open to some more modern styles of music... I was going to steel shows in my 20s but at that time they were playing more modern music (actually, some of the same music you here at the shows now). Buddy Emmons was using guitar synths, and loops and pushing the envelope... Thats what needs to happen now... I love classic country music as much as anyone and it should always be at the center of these show but there is way more the instrument can say...
Jeff Scott Brown

Post by Jeff Scott Brown »

I am 43, have been playing for 10 or 11 months and this was my 2nd consecutive year at the St. Louis show. I had a great time. It is the only time I get to be around a bunch of other PSG players and talk tech. Mike's Seminar on Friday was a great time. I enjoyed it so much that I am scheming to try and meet Mike at his place in Nashville this coming Friday for more of the same.

The St. Louis show happens to be in my home town (close enough anyway) but that is incidental. I travel to see concerts all the time and will probably travel to go to PSG shows moving forward. My 2013 concert list will include only 3 or 4 shows at home, most out of town and several out of the country. If the St. Louis show were not in St. Louis I would still attend.

I heard a lot of talk this weekend related to folks saying that the Texas show seems to be doing better than the St. Louis show. I have not been to the Texas show yet so I don't know what that is like but it sounds like they must be doing something different.

The bottom line for me is that I don't know what the St. Louis show was like in years past because I wasn't there but that aside, the 2012 and 2013 shows were a whole lot of fun for me and I am looking forward to the 2014 show.
GFI Ultra S10 Keyless
Peavey Nashville 112
Goodrich L120, BJS, Peterson StroboPlus HD
Paul E Vendemmia

Post by Paul E Vendemmia »

Dear Tommy White
Maybe your right when you said my comment is unsupportive and detrimental to steel guitar.
But I ask you, do I have the right to ask for a list of players and venders to be posted maybe 30 days before the big show? You see I had to pay to attend the show.
For me to come out, it cost me somewhere between $1,000 to $1600 to see the big show.
Do you feel I'm asking for to much? I like to think I'm fare person. I always spend around $400 to $600 with the venders and players. I have to CD collection to prove it.
I did enjoy the show however,I feel it could have been better in some ways.
How about having the pro players that play twice over the weekend play a different set list.
And I really don't think its to much to ask that a pro player come prepared.
You see maybe we can all be a little more supportive in different ways can't we!
Thanks its my two cents Paul
Samuel Vance

Twenty Somethings...

Post by Samuel Vance »

To reply to Jim Cohen....

That's a tough question to answer and I won't propose an answer, rather some impressions I had to get people thinking.

1. Tradition: The convention is steeped in tradition. Tradition is great, unless you want to move forward. I'm not suggesting throwing out all tradition and reverance for the greats, but maybe a little more attention on the 'now' could help.

2. Advertisement: How many twenty somethings knew about the convention, or moreover, what a steel guitar is. Perhaps some targeted advertisement at Guitar Centers. Perhaps a 6 string guitar clinic by a big name Nashville picker would bring in some new blood.

3. Accessibility: Why not invite local or regional young band members (of all musical genres) to attend for free. Let young musicians talk with steel guitarists.

I hate to mention this but it is the truth; price of admission.

4. Variety: The jazz room is great as it provides variety. As Wally pointed out, Emmons pushed the envelope in his time. Invite some good players that push the envelope. Also, maybe a good idea to have some rock or other non-typical steel guitar rooms. Invite lots of talented musicians of different genres.

5. Country is Okay: Country music is not dead, I know many my age that love it. However, they like Alan Jackson and George Strait, not Ray Price and Leroy Van Dyke.

Again, I'm not suggesting the above thoughts as fix-it-all answers, just sharing my impression of what I saw and hopefully getting the creative juices flowing for others to chime in.
Jeff Scott Brown

Re: Twenty Somethings...

Post by Jeff Scott Brown »

Samuel Vance wrote: I hate to mention this but it is the truth; price of admission.
I can't believe that the price of admission is a big factor. For some the cost of the weekend is a lot but the admission isn't that big of a piece of that. When else do you get to pay that little for 2 days of performances and effectively a backstage pass to talk with anyone and everyone on site including not only the folks who play these things but also the folks who sell them, design them and make them. Value seems like it is over the top.
GFI Ultra S10 Keyless
Peavey Nashville 112
Goodrich L120, BJS, Peterson StroboPlus HD
Samuel Vance

Re: Twenty Somethings

Post by Samuel Vance »

Jeff,

I agree with you it is a good value, but I was asked how it is percieved by newbies and younger people.
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

Paul E Vendemmia wrote:Dear Tommy White
Maybe your right when you said my comment is unsupportive and detrimental to steel guitar.
But I ask you, do I have the right to ask for a list of players and venders to be posted maybe 30 days before the big show? You see I had to pay to attend the show.
For me to come out, it cost me somewhere between $1,000 to $1600 to see the big show.
Do you feel I'm asking for to much? I like to think I'm fare person. I always spend around $400 to $600 with the venders and players. I have to CD collection to prove it.
I did enjoy the show however,I feel it could have been better in some ways.
How about having the pro players that play twice over the weekend play a different set list.
And I really don't think its to much to ask that a pro player come prepared.
You see maybe we can all be a little more supportive in different ways can't we!
Thanks its my two cents Paul
Paul,

To my knowledge, none of the pro players play instrumentals for a living. Most work for artist and to even have the time to work up one set of music is a daunting task... To play at the level needed to play those shows takes a lot of work.. If you don't believe me, try it sometime... Also all the players I know that do the shows of Tommy's stature actually loose money from their usual playing jobs doing sessions, working with artist or playing the Opry in Tommy's case, just to do the shows...
Wally Moyers
Jan Collier

Post by Jan Collier »

Hello Jim! Missed seeing you at the convention this year. Love your playing and singing. The highlight of the show as always is seeing all the friends I've made over the 30 years I've been coming to the convention and of course the playing. The steel world has become like a family to me. I don't know of anything that can make me cry (listening to myself practicing) or laugh as much as the steel. I feel blessed and priviledged to be a part of it all. I heard people this weekend complain about attendance being down. They didn't think they would be coming back. Sorry for your loss buddy. I'm not there for the attendance. I'm there because I love the steel. Get over yourselves people and start promoting this thing instead of wasting your energy complaining!! I started to notice years ago when we still had the shows on Sunday that the venders were starting to break down on Sun. morning. By late morning it looked like a ghost town. Now it's my turn to complain. To me that is just plain rude. Ron Elliot, Jean Hughey, Mike Sweeney are all open until the show is over. I've seen, due to this, Ron Elliot play to an almost empty house at the end of the convention. Now with the economy as bad as it is maybe it's time to bring back the Sun. show and have it on Fri, Sat., and Sun. where people don't have to take so many days off from work to attend. My 2 cents.
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

Samuel Vance wrote:To reply to Jim Cohen....

That's a tough question to answer and I won't propose an answer, rather some impressions I had to get people thinking.

1. Tradition: The convention is steeped in tradition. Tradition is great, unless you want to move forward. I'm not suggesting throwing out all tradition and reverance for the greats, but maybe a little more attention on the 'now' could help.

2. Advertisement: How many twenty somethings knew about the convention, or moreover, what a steel guitar is. Perhaps some targeted advertisement at Guitar Centers. Perhaps a 6 string guitar clinic by a big name Nashville picker would bring in some new blood.

3. Accessibility: Why not invite local or regional young band members (of all musical genres) to attend for free. Let young musicians talk with steel guitarists.

4. Variety: The jazz room is great as it provides variety. As Wally pointed out, Emmons pushed the envelope in his time. Invite some good players that push the envelope. Also, maybe a good idea to have some rock or other non-typical steel guitar rooms. Invite lots of talented musicians of different genres.

5. Country is Okay: Country music is not dead, I know many my age that love it. However, they like Alan Jackson and George Strait, not Ray Price and Leroy Van Dyke.

Again, I'm not suggesting the above thoughts as fix-it-all answers, just sharing my impression of what I saw and hopefully getting the creative juices flowing for others to chime in.

Some good thoughts Sam.

Well,,,,, maybe not the Leroy Van Dyke part……..Lol

As a business man for the last 28 years I look at every through simplistic eyes. I constantly change the business model of each business to move with the ever changing and evolving times.

My youngest daughter on occasion will ask me to go the range with her because she is having trouble with her golf swing. There are two phrases of advice I also repeat.

1. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again with expectation of a different result.”
2. “If want something to change, you have to change something.”

I believe these simple theories apply to almost everything.

Now I haven’t spent any time thinking about this but a few things just off the top of my head would be:

1. Free daily seminars from multiple Pro players on topics ranging from How to play E9 to how to become a professional road or session musician.

2. Have a Rep from PG Music give daily free seminars on Band In A Box.
3. Have a Rep from Pro Tools give daily free seminars on all aspects of Pro Tools.
4. You can get all the ideas you need from the California NAMM Show.

The details in putting something like this together are just that. Simple negotiations and details.

If you want something to change, you have to change something or, you can do what Circuit City did.

Ride it till it’s over.

One final thought:

You can shower a great idea with money but, if you can’t garner the support of others, you’ve got a looser on your hands.

So, find a way to play a supporting role. Write the Scott family a letter and tell them what want to see. Tell them what you want changed. Tell them want you don’t want changed.

Scotty is an old man now and I doubt that it is in him but I suspect that his family plans on carry the torch forward.

I wish all good things for the ISGC.
Samuel Vance

Twenty Somethings...

Post by Samuel Vance »

Thanks for your kind, wise words Sid.

I had a wonderful time at the convention, and though I have offered some ideas for improvement, I'm thankful that there is such a thing as the convention and will be back in the years to come.
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

Sid Hudson wrote:
Samuel Vance wrote:To reply to Jim Cohen....

Some good thoughts Sam.

Well,,,,, maybe not the Leroy Van Dyke part……..Lol

As a business man for the last 28 years I look at every through simplistic eyes. I constantly change the business model of each business to move with the ever changing and evolving times.

My youngest daughter on occasion will ask me to go the range with her because she is having trouble with her golf swing. There are two phrases of advice I also repeat.

1. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again with expectation of a different result.”
2. “If want something to change, you have to change something.”

I believe these simple theories apply to almost everything.

Now I haven’t spent any time thinking about this but a few things just off the top of my head would be:

1. Free daily seminars from multiple Pro players on topics ranging from How to play E9 to how to become a professional road or session musician.

2. Have a Rep from PG Music give daily free seminars on Band In A Box.
3. Have a Rep from Pro Tools give daily free seminars on all aspects of Pro Tools.
4. You can get all the ideas you need from the California NAMM Show.

The details in putting something like this together are just that. Simple negotiations and details.

If you want something to change, you have to change something or, you can do what Circuit City did.

Ride it till it’s over.

One final thought:

You can shower a great idea with money but, if you can’t garner the support of others, you’ve got a looser on your hands.

So, find a way to play a supporting role. Write the Scott family a letter and tell them what want to see. Tell them what you want changed. Tell them want you don’t want changed.

Scotty is an old man now and I doubt that it is in him but I suspect that his family plans on carry the torch forward.

I wish all good things for the ISGC.
All great ideas!
Greg Vice

Post by Greg Vice »

Just some thoughts I enjoyed all players only wished I could every be as good, congrats to all inducted to hall of fame. Just making observations of the traffic in the hallways or lack of it. I will continue to support and try to encourage local fellow players to attend. I think keeping steel fresh and not just limited to country, the jazz room blew me away the fist time I was there. Bobby Black, Reece, Dan Tyaack, Jim Cohen, and Dave Easley.
I was at doctor last winter before Dallas show for neck and shoulder locking up after a couple min. playing, told him I played steel guitar, he said he was at Eric Clapton concert that Robert Randolf opened for. His son works at a guitar store and they were blown away by his playing and enjoyed it more and they thought a steel was only used in country.
Scott Akers

Post by Scott Akers »

I wasn't there, but I did enjoy the radio feed when I could listen.