New Guy In The Neighborhood

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank De Vincenzo

New Guy In The Neighborhood

Post by Frank De Vincenzo »

I can hear the collective sighs and moans as I write this, but I can't help myself. I need the advice of people that are savvy to this instrument.
I am a pretty good guitarist. No, I need to rephrase that. I was a pretty good guitarist till a lifetime working in kitchens delivered a double dose of carpal tunnel syndrome to both hands. I have since had surgery but the feeling in my fingertips is virtually nonexistent in my fretting hand now. I do, however, have about 50% feeling in my picking hand.
My question is how much of a learning curve is there from a six string to an S10 3/4 setup pedal steel?
Is there hope for a transitional player such as me?
I refuse to accept that the creative/musical part of my life is no more.
Thank you in advance
JusticeJudge
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

You will get a bit of a break learning the E9 neck as the "E" position chords will be on the same frets. Also an understanding of theory and chord progressions will be of some help. You will be learning to pick with your right hand in a strange position while holding a bar in your left hand trying to stay in tune while stepping on pedals with your left foot, pushing levers with both knees and operating a volume pedal with your right foot. Having made the transition myself, i can tell you that you are entering a brave new world that can be incredibly satisfying. Dealing with the bar could be perhaps a little difficult with your left hand issues and maybe I'd inquire as to whether picking with the right hand could exacerbate the CTS before jumping right in. Other than that, were it me I'd find a teacher to get started in the right direction. There is a ton of free instruction on the net and a lot of really good instructional videos. You also have an incredible resource of fine people on the forum who can provide a lot of useful information. Finally, you need to be patient, practice a lot and understand that it could take a while to get comfortable with the instrument and learn he basics. Good luck with your endeavor.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
Frank De Vincenzo

Thank you very much, Mr. Steinberg. Your summation stated exactly what I was expecting to hear. "An incredible resource of fine people" is how you said it and I am looking forward to getting to know you all!
Thank you for your candor and personal perspective.
Never give up, never surrender.
JusticeJudge
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Frank,
I suffer a similar problem, but my nerve damage is in my left elbow, which has numbed my ring and little fingers on my left hand.

There is a learning curve, but if you are pretty fluent in chords and chord changes, it's doable. I started with a C6 lap steel in February, graduated to a Marlen D-10 in 2 months, then downsized (Marlens are HEAVY!) to a GFI E9. I'm good enough to "play along with the band" and beginning to get good enough to "shine" a little on songs I know well. (Not necessarily know well on steel, just know the tune well.) A lot of it is ear training.

I'd say go for it. It's work, but if you hang in there, you will find you will enjoy it!
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Howard and Scott have given you good advice.

I played 6-string for years and then decided to learn pedal steel. That was 30-some years ago. I still play both instruments professionally. Guitarists often as me questions about pedal steel. I understand what they're asking. That is, they want some sort of perspective or starting point to connect their instrument with this often strange thing that has 10 strings (or 20) and a bunch of pedals and knee levers.

Actually, the similarities are few. For E9th, the fret positions are the same. Going from the I to the IV chord is as easy as pushing the A&B pedals down together, just like going from, say, A to D with the two major bar chords that every guitar player knows. There are a few other similarities but that's about it. Yes, the more theory you know the quicker you'll learn.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to sound negative. Just realistic. Go for it. It's a killer instrument. But you'll have to do a lot of woodshedding. Luckily, pedal steel is also addictive, so the time you spend behind it goes fast.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

You can do it Frank. I'm in jersey as well so let me know if you need some help.
I just smashed two fingers today. By tomorrow I'll be holding the bar.
You WILL play steel! You WILL NOT go out & play after school! You will stay home and practice-practice-practice.
You will be better on steel then you EVER were on guitar.
Just do it ! :)
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I f you plan on moving your chops over to PSG from your guitar you need to start thinking in terms of clusters or grips, associated pedals and levers combinations which is like something from outer space.
But if you learn that and some good bar hand, picking hand and blocking technique…then practice till it becomes like walking or running ( you don’t have to think about it you just do it ) you are well on your way to a life of being broke, misunderstood and insignificant. :lol:

Here is an example of what I’m speaking of.
The melody line is a chromatic run from the 5 thru the b7 with a 1 and a 3 as harmony,

Notice how the tab presents it’s self on the PSG appearing written by aliens compared to the guitar tab.
Jeff Metz Jr.

Stop it!

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Come on Guys
Lets inspire another brave soul to join our league!
I may not be known enough, or good enough to get the respect that some of the "heavy Weights" receive, but I will not dissuade another potential steel player.
I have played the six string for over 11 years. I am pretty comfortable with theory and it defenitly helps with the pedal steel. I think that you will be fine depending on how you look at things.
I personally find little memory patterns that help me navigate the steel.
Here is one that I am sure most steel players that also play guitar have used.

1) On six string you can go from the one chord to the four chord by moving your position up one string.
In pedal steel you can get your four chord by pressing the A+b pedals.

That works up and down the neck just as it does on the guitar.
If I sound like an idiot to the veteran steel players its because.....Im an idiot when it comes to steel! Thanks and good luck! Grab a pedal steel and try it out! You won't regret it!
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
John Swindle

Post by John Swindle »

Welcome, Frank
I suppose you noticed -- no moaning or sighing. I've always found this bunch to be supportive and helpful.

Something you may not have thought about yet is that the financial risk is pretty low. Pedal steel isn't cheap, but I bet just about everyone who plays it agrees that the cost of the instrument and amp and whatever other goodies you'll "need" are pretty much unimportant compared with what you'll get out of playing your steel. But since you have some significant issues, it should be pointed out that if it turns out that this instrument doesn't work for you, you can just about count on getting most - or even all - of your investment back if you need to sell your stuff. Shipping a PSG long distances can be costly, but if you're fortunate enough to find what you want locally, you won't be risking much. Keep an eye on Graig's list, if there's one in your area. This forum's For Sale section will probably turn up some nice stuff close to home from time to time. And checking out the ads here is a lot of fun.

Good luck, Frank.
Frank De Vincenzo

Wow. I am inspired by your positive attitudes. The fact that you were interested enough to answer my request says a lot about the PSG community. I will continue to read as much as I can about this wonderful instrument so that I am not totally in the dark when I do pull the trigger and purchase one. I will certainly be soliciting opinions from you good souls as to what direction I should be looking at that time. Thank you again and good playing to all!
JusticeJudge
Scott Duckworth

Frank, there is a lot of good instruction material available on the Internet for free, and some great "pay" stuff.

Mickey Adams "Beginner's Guide to Mastering the E9th Pedal Steel Guitar" is a good one.

Also "Alfred's Teach Yourself To Play Pedal Steel Guitar" is good.

Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Hey Frank,
Just 54 weeks I ago I started my time as a pedal steel player after almost 30 years a six stringer. I never learned theory on six string electric, it just bored me and seemed to confuse the issue, so I learned by ear and watching other players.

With pedal steel, I've found theory not only much easier to learn and apply , but also much more engaging. It opens up the fret board considerably and while my focus is to play three chord country, you can't help but learn all sorts of other stuff along the way. It is totally addicting and once you start getting those sounds out of the amp that are waiting there, its about all you start thinking about. My Telecaster is collecting dust. Never thought that would happen!
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Scott Duckworth

Another suggestion for the new pedal steel player... not every pedal steel "fits" every player...

When you get your own, tune it first. Then as you begin to play (and this may take days, weeks, or even months) figure out what doesn't feel right as it pertains to pedal height and knee position. Then take the time to adjust the pedal up or down and knee left or right position of the guitar.

I recently did a re-adjust of mine, and found it helped my playing ability greatly. I have problems with my ankles, in that I can turn them inward much further than I can outward (75 degrees vs 15 degrees), so the AF and BE combinations were at some times painful to do. Since I have done some further adjustments, it's now far more comfortable to play, and I can "hit" stuff I wasn't hitting before.

That said, my pedals are all level with each other, and rest about 1-3/4" off the floor, and my LKL and LKR slant further to the left than other players would have them.

So, in other words, "Make it you own!" It really should feel as comfortable as sitting at the table to eat... now, go chomp on some chords, scales, and runs!

Frank De Vincenzo

You fellas are killing me with kindness and generosity of your time, experience and knowledge. I can't wait to get started on this new chapter of my life. I've heard it said many times before and am now a believer, THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
Thank you all once again,
Frank
JusticeJudge
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I just think it’s good to know right up front the issues a person faces after he or she rakes up the money and buys one of the vulgar displays of wealth.
You can’t take it personal. The thing will humble you. Lighten up.
Start off by making a big sign that says “This is NOT going to be EASY” and keep it in front of you.

The Steel unlike the guitar is a fretless instrument and you have the brand new challenge of placing the bar over the fret marker and use your ear to move the bar to where the note sounds in tune.
Where as a guitar player much to the dismay of the PSG player never gave a thought to that.

The technique for playing PSG is much more disciplined than guitar.
To change one note in a chord on PSG you may have to change fret position and pedal and levers. Where as on guitar you just stretch your little pinky out and go for it.
It’s that cluster syndrome I was referring to. The old soldier would call it a “Cluster F….”

The reward is if you stick with it …you will feel as though you conquered the universe and you now have the right to become an arrogant pr’k.
Let’s face it I don’t think there is a PSG player out there that doesn’t know he’s smarter and is a better musician than the guitar player. :lol: