Tinnitus & Technique Determines Qualitative Tone

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Just what I was thinking... Image
Bill Fulbright

Post by Bill Fulbright »

back to the subjuect

good thing I can read...

this ringing in my ears seems to come and go...it is always there just seems like in varying degrees.

Is it because of my attention on it?
Or because my blood pressure is up?
OR because I ate to much salty food?
Or is it because I am tired?
Or is it simply because I have played way too much music?

Does it really affect my tone or ability to "blend"? I always thought I sounded really good and blended really well!!!

I guess when the volume is up and we are cranking along live, I hear the music more than the ringing!

------------------
Bill Fulbright
Mullen D-10 8x7; Gibson ES-165; Peavey Vegas 400;
ICQ# 2251620 My Music Site

Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

<SMALL>the inability to profess lengthy and reliable renditions of tone management</SMALL>
does that = 'can't play'?
<font size=1>I'm thinking of publishing a Hanktionary and Hankosaurus (not a long extinct reptile)</font>

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

My eyes are glazing over now.........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by b0b on 23 June 2003 at 05:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

F. M.,

Quote, "The greatest of faults, I should say,is to be conscious of none."

One of life's greatest challenges Is trying to rise above a mediocre mold. -B.Hankey

B.T.W. Herb S., I recognize the impact of your excellent writing skills. I have total respect for your ability to convey your thoughts, after observing your effortless management of the English Language. I enjoyed the input from everyone so inclined to add to this thread.

Bill H.

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

There ya have it, folks. This year's winner of the Bill Hankey Prize for Literary Elocution goes to... Herb Steiner! (Crowd cheers here...)

That, and $2.75 will getcha a grande latte at your local Starbucks... Image

Congratulations, Herb. You're a god.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 23 June 2003 at 04:15 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 23 June 2003 at 06:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
James McPhail

Post by James McPhail »

Yes, and caffeine will exacerbate your tinnitus.
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

please, can someone give me a list of cautions of Tinitus?
Stress?
High bloodpressure?
To much and to long loud sound?
Bad cold maybe?

is this serious? To much salt, caffeine?
Like to know Image
Thanks, Johan
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 24 June 2003 at 12:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

This link explains it all. Basically, the answer is 'all of the above'. My mother has a severe case, presumably caused by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs like ibuprofen) she was taking for joint pain.

------------------
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Tinnitus is a disrupting affliction, brought on (I believe) by a partial breakdown of the hearing processes. One might assume that by lowering blood pressure, some relief would be realized. I personally do not believe that this approach will be substantiated, and can easily be confirmed through utilization of a B.P. cup. The incessant ringing becomes exceedingly bothersome, immediately after an over-zealous romp on the volume pedal, which constitutes an undue interruption of a damaged inner ear, with its intricacies instinctively rebelling against further damage. Forget all about consulting publications that allude to an explanation, or cure. By the same token, don't tie up your care giver, with questions relating to tinnitus. To my knowledge, there is no satisfaction to be found through those processes. There are however, just a few rare physiological concerns relating to causes, which could indeed involve a more serious condition. A visit to your local library, or search on the web would reveal the rare possibilities.
Milk will in some cases cause an increased risk of a prolonged ringing. There isn't a chance that I would consider excluding milk from my diet. There is some evidence that short power naps in a sitting position, may prove to be somehow connected to an unwelcome intrusion of tinnitus. I feel secure in the belief that the delicate nature of our sense of hearing, could effect a permanent decline in providing the blessed ability to hear a pin drop, or a leaf cracking under tiny feet, on a still forest floor.

Bill H. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 24 June 2003 at 03:28 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 24 June 2003 at 04:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

<SMALL>There isn't a chance that I would not consider excluding milk from my diet.</SMALL>
WOW! A TRIPLE NEGATIVE. That ascends to a heretofore unexcelled level of obfuscation.

The reference I quoted above is an excellent listing of causes -- I certainly don't promote the product but feel certain that the background information on causes of tinnitus is accurate. It was written by a medical doctor. Conventional medicine has no established cure for this symptom and the homeopathic approach is worth investigating, IMHO.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 24 June 2003 at 03:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry B.

Honestly, I spotted the inadvertent grammatical error, moments before reading your reply. Thank you for the reminder, to spend more time double-checking written messages.

Bill H.

Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Bill Fulbright

Post by Bill Fulbright »

After further review of the aforementioned dissertation on the possible originations or causes preempting the onset of sustained high frequency ringing, my proclivity is to pursue the prevention of such by the abstension from substances and behavioral inclinations that exacerbate the condition.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
Mullen D-10 8x7; Gibson ES-165; Peavey Vegas 400;
ICQ# 2251620 My Music Site

Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Wish I coulda said that . . .
. . . then I wouldn't. Image

------------------
William Steward

Post by William Steward »

...let he who is without tone cast the first tin!