Tinnitus & Technique Determines Qualitative Tone

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Tinnitus & Technique Determines Qualitative Tone

Post by Bill Hankey »

When tinnitus becomes a daily episode in our lives, and shatters our ability to recognize discernible differences, tone checks can be frustrating. Vibrating string values can range over a broad spectrum, depending solely on the performer's respective hand positioning in relation to the strings. "Cupping the palm" (original expression) has proven to elicit certain qualities that are effective in managing tone. Going from one position to another on the fretboard, with an assertive display of bar movement, vastly improves tone. Awareness of quality workmanship and materials of the past, is more evident, with the upsurge of the mad scramblings on e-bay. I learned long ago, that pick-ups, and speakers determine whether or not good tone is possible. Manufacturers of musical equipment are on a different wave length. It is my belief, that inadequate measures are taken, in the production of musical equipment, to assure consumers of a quality, which allows for making discriminating adjustments, to enhance tone.

Bill H.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 22 June 2003 at 02:41 AM.]</p></FONT> <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 22 June 2003 at 10:38 AM.]</p></FONT>
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

OKAY.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

EH?
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Dennis Boyd

Post by Dennis Boyd »

More Hankey Pankey?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

The brevity trio,

The brevity speaks for itself. Never was there a more intrepid competitor of generalized thinking, than one who practices silence.

It reminds me of a quote, "What is not in a man, cannot come out of him surely."

Bill H.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Lee B.,

You are so right, and I'm amazed to say the least. Thanks...

Bill H.

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

If I remember my history right, and I'm NOT going to do a "google search". Goethe actually "sat out" a long period in the "rennaisance" as a "protest" to what he thought was unworthy thought. It had a large impact.

I think any person is at the height of is "influence" when his silence has as much of an impact as his participation.

I'm still not quite at that point myself.

I'm still trying to figure out why the implications of superficial reference to quantum physics, being used to justify the belief that our universe is randomly unfolding, don't just "jump out at me" if they are indeed "obvious".

It'll come to me...

EJL

OK. I can see the "begged for" response now. Hopefully if he's sharp enough, from my "Confederate Friend":

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>I think any person is at the height of is "influence" when his silence has as much of an impact as his participation.

I'm still not quite at that point myself.

-Eric West-</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno Eric. Don't sell yourself short. Give it a try....

(SG?)

(sometimes I'm my own best or worst adversary..) <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 22 June 2003 at 02:51 PM.]</p></FONT>
Cory Dolinsky

Post by Cory Dolinsky »

moved to the "Bartletts book of quatations section"
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Of course, brevity is the soul of wit, but... Image

I personally entered my response of "hmmm..." because I was ruminating over the litany of seemingly apparent non-sequitur (from the Latin "it does not follow") from our esteemed colleague from the Bay State, the gentle persona that others, admittedly, yet in the spirit of humor, as well as your reporter, have variously referred to as the Pontiff of Polysyllabism, the Vizier of Verbosity, the Officiant of Obfuscatory Oration, the Prince of Profundity, et. al.

I performed the above-referenced ruminations not with any feelings of disapprobation or objurgation, but rather to perhaps obtain clarity regarding the statements alluded to previously, all with the utmost respect vis a' vis our learned constituent's obvious erudition as well as his musical weltanschauung.

So, in the interest of obtaining the greatest degree of clarity for our fellow devotees of the Pedalist's Pursuit, allow me to offer this humble translation based on my limited access to the vast ocean of knowledge afforded us, the cumulative Sea of Informational Tranquility contained in the combined world experiences of this vaunted multitude, i.e., the Forum.
<SMALL>When tinnitus becomes a daily episode in our lives, and shatters our ability to recognize discernible differences, tone checks can be frustrating.</SMALL>
When your ears are ringing due to loud playing, it's hard to focus on tone characteristics.
<SMALL>Vibrating string values can range over a broad spectrum, depending solely on the performer's respective hand positioning in relation to the strings."Cupping the palm" (original expression) has proven to elicit certain qualities that are effective in managing tone.</SMALL>
Changing the way you hold your right hand can really affect your tone. "Cupping the palm" (a phrase I came up with) seems to be a way to hold your hand to get good tone.
<SMALL>Going from one position to another on the fretboard, with an assertive display of bar movement, vastly improves tone.</SMALL>
Moving the bar with a flourish really makes the sound better.
<SMALL>Awareness of quality workmanship and materials of the past, is more evident, with the upsurge of the mad scramblings on e-bay</SMALL>
There seems to be lots of people spending big bucks on older instruments on eBay recently.
<SMALL>I learned long ago, that pick-ups, and speakers determine whether or not good tone is possible. Manufacturers of musical equipment are on a different wave length.</SMALL>
I've known for some time that the pickups and speakers you use make or break your sound, but the builders don't see it that way.
<SMALL>It is my belief, that inadequate measures are taken, in the production of musical equipment, to assure consumers of a quality, which allows for making discriminating adjustments, to enhance tone.</SMALL>
The builders are just not making instruments good enough to let us get a good sound.

Did I get it close, Bill? Image

BTW, when a guitar builder makes an instrument that can alter the effects of tinnitus, I'll be the first to buy one. But I believe that task is best left to the medical profession.

As far as tone goes, I agree with you. It's in the hands of the player, the position he uses to play, and the quality of the guitar and amplifier. But this ain't exactly news, bubba. Image Image

Regarding what the builders are putting on the market today, a player will get a variant of a good sound regardless.

A picker can either play the horn, or he can't. And once he's on the bandstand, just about everyone listening with any experience can tell one way or the other.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 22 June 2003 at 03:47 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 22 June 2003 at 03:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Pretty good, You?
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Wait a minute. Herb, did you say flourish?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

"Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
I don't know who said this originally, maybe some Norwegian, EH, Eric?
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Brother Lee
It is my heartfelt belief, upon reflection and subsequent to my post-compositional review for the requisite corrective procedures of both syntax and spelling, that in fact, I did utilize the noun of which you speak, albeit in a more adverbial context.

Seriously, now...
I played a private party last week with Bush in Mission, a quick down and back trip, and a couple of musicians at the party spoke quite highly of your picking. Thought I'd let ya know. Image

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 22 June 2003 at 04:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Herb - I thought you were using the adjective. "Those biscuits had kind of a flourish taste. Did you bake 'em long enough?"

So, who had the private party, where was it, and why wasn't I invited?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Lee
It was a 50th birthday party for a fella named Steve in the oilfield bidness, at a joint called "Solid Country," owned by a guy named Leonard... he and another guy were the ones who said he liked your picking. I think they asked you to play with their band at one time but you turned them down.

Why you weren't invited to the party, I haven't the faintest idea, other than sometimes life just ain't fair. Image But you were there in spirit, and your spirit really liked the fajitas. Image

------------------

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Well, I can honestly say that this thread has, without a doubt, and without any distinct reservations, and in my own considered opinion, except with the obvious disclaimers and not alluding to circumspect investigation by those who, by wanton neglect, and with the possible exception of the aforementioned subjects, but also not including any other analygous areas of interest, and with several inputs, not including those of the more astute participants who have, on occasion, covered all possible the theories, that, along with my own observations, and can say without a doubt that they fully concur with all the aforementioned, notwithstanding any possible exception of material that they might, otherwise, disagree with.

I feel better now, having been perfectly clear.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Well played gentlemen, well played.

Brad Sarno
Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

I feel like I just had a mental vowel movement! ~~W.C.~~
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<SMALL>Well played gentlemen, well played</SMALL>
You mean you understood that shit?

<font size=1>(Oops! Sorry for the slip o' the lip)
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jim C.,

I'd rather, the most irresistible of all, that bestows pleasures,such as listening to your proven high-principled renditions on the steel guitar.

I am a far cry from possessing the skills to defend this thread in the face of an eloquent critique.

However, I do try to cling to the age-old adage, "The pen is mightier than the sword."

Bill H.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

At the risk of arousing the ire of every one on the forum, by posting a reply and raising the subject back to the top of the list, I just have to tell you I've gotta' go take a pill!!! This ringing in my ears is killin' me!! Image

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 23 June 2003 at 06:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Ringing in the ears can also be a sign of demonic possession.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

David M.

The obdurate qualities which are well known by those who experience tinnitus, could very well produce values, which produce a demonizing and catastrophic aftermath.

Tinnitus is one of the most detestable afflictions of mankind, associated with degrees of loss of hearing, and its causes are virtually unexplained by the best heads in medicine. Tinnitus intensifies when amplification is utilized, within the confines of any musical
practice session. It is by far the most relevant bedevilment, that compounds the inability to profess
lengthy and reliable renditions of tone management. Tinnitus, with its agressive manifestation of variables in terms of minimums or maximums, throws the regulating of any semblance of individual confidence, into utter chaos. Tone preferences could easily be termed, and characterized as, exaggerated imprints of individual tastes.

Bill H.