Bobby Preston

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ray Campbell

Bobby Preston

Post by Ray Campbell »

My best friend Bobby Preston passed about 11 p.m. last night in Rolla, MO. Wife Linda has not had time to make any arrangements but I thought his musician buddies should be made aware. Bobby was a great guitar player and worked with many down through the years. He was also the guitarist on at least one old rock and roll hit back in the 60s. He more recently made music with steel guitar forum members like Larry Prater and David Tunnell and others. I will keep you informed. Bobby was 76 and in ill health for the past couple of years.
David Graves

Post by David Graves »

When I got the message from Linda that Bobby had taken a turn for the worse yesterday, I was afraid that this might be it. Bobby was truly one of the nicest most giving people I have ever met in my life. When I first came to Missouri as a 16 year old kid, Bobby and all of the local musicians took me in just like their own son. Bobby ran the music store during the day and made sure I always had anything I needed to go play music that night. They all helped mold me as a musician and an entertainer and I couldn't be more blessed for the friendships I have. Bobby was an outstanding guitar player and he was eager to share anything he could. He literally knew every song in the world word for word and note for note. I still think about our daily jam sessions at Ike Martin Music. People like Bobby don't come along very often. He will be greatly missed.
St. Blues 1984 "Holy Grail"
Take the time to introduce someone young to music... and play a few songs with someone old.
David Graves

Post by David Graves »

Bobby Preston. I miss him already.
St. Blues 1984 "Holy Grail"
Take the time to introduce someone young to music... and play a few songs with someone old.
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

RIP...........
may the Lord welcome you w open arms.
bruce & lynn
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

I had the pleasure of playing with Bobby several times,what a gentleman to play with,he was a very good guitar player an a good friend to many. Prayers go out to his close friends an family.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I just now read this post. Years ago I picked several times with Bobby and some were all night jam sessions. I really enjoyed his playing and we had a lot of laughs.

Prayers for his family and friends. A Great guitarist and guy!

Thanks Ray for posting this. Your invited to come and sing with us on our next steel show October.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood