Derby SD-10 3x5

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Todd Brown

Derby SD-10 3x5

Post by Todd Brown »

Listing my Derby SD-10 w/ a full 3x5 setup. Emmons setup on the pedals. E's lower on the RKL. Raise 1 & 2 and drop 6 with the LKR. Vertical lowers the B's. Kind of a dark Midnight Blue. Tooled vinyl pad. George L E66 pickup. Polished flags. Plays and sounds great. Really a great sounding solid guitar. Emmons style case with wheels. Serial # 230.

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it is.

I'll switch the E's to lower on the right or set it up any way you want as long as no extra hardware is needed. I'll also ship it anywhere(overseas) as long as you're paying the extra shipping costs!!!

$2300 shipped in the US. PayPal fees and shipping included. PayPal or Postal money order or Paypal preferred.
Bill Howard

GREAT Guitar

Post by Bill Howard »

Todd I just got a Derby from a man in California.
and to be honest this is the BEST playing and sounding steel I EVER owned and I owned one of the most sought after on this forum.The tone just blows me away rich and full my playing improved so much from just the ease of playing. the levers and pedals are like a fine machine and accurate. The sustain should be against the law:). Mr Stepp really built these to sound,play and last.I was not sure since I had never played a Derby, Ask anyone who is fortunate enough to own one We love them someone will get a true Gem!
Dean Richard Varga

Derby

Post by Dean Richard Varga »

Yeah- The first thing I was going to say was "That is a drop dead gorgeous guitar", and BTW- I am a recent new owner of a Derby and I am equally as impressed. It is the easiest to play instrument and I feel Derbys are the best kept secret in the PSG world.

BTW Bill-If your guitar is a 2004 Black SD-10, I believe it originally came from Arizona. It was here in Gilbert Az in a music store back in 2006.

Someone grab that thing!
Darrell Birtcher

Love Derbys!

Post by Darrell Birtcher »

I'll second everything said here about Derby steels!
Bill, you got my old Derby that I sold to Mike and it is a real gem.
Sounds like he used my packing material too! I loved that guitar and only sold it to get a D10. It's tone was pure magic. Charlie built a real winner of a guitar. Someone needs to jump on this deal.
Dick Sexton

Best kept secret of the steel world...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Lot of pics around with some of our hero's playing Derby steels. And I once heard, Mr. Emmons had some input to the original design. I've had owners of some of the most popular steels of today, check out mine because of the way it sounds. It, not me. Haha!

Wonder how many Charlie built and where they all are.
Bill Howard

Derby

Post by Bill Howard »

Darrell, I owned an Emmons LL2, to many Sho Buds last one after the great POT metal knee lever fell off in front of 5 or 6oo people (sold it next day!). and a marlen and 2 other guitars that were good but I will not mention the name here....but this Derby is the best I ever heard or played Everyone is always looking for that sound I found it... the accuracy is incredible
Half pedals are a breeze with this also don't spend all night tuning it...I love blue if I had the money I would buy it!!. Darrell Mike sold it because he just lost interest in learning a pedal steel nothing to do with quality
BTW Dick Bob told me about 500 or so Derbys were built mine is serial 4--
Dick Sexton

Thanks Bill...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Mines #44-... If 500 were built, looks like we're in the last 100. I sure do like mine.
Darrell Birtcher

Post by Darrell Birtcher »

Bill, that's too bad that Mike lost interest but I'm glad you got that guitar. You're right about it holding tune and it had an incredible sound, as you know. I have a new friend that moved here from Indiana that has an almost identical Derby so at least I get to see and hear his every now and then.
Bill Howard

Burn it up

Post by Bill Howard »

Darrell Birtcher wrote:Bill, that's too bad that Mike lost interest but I'm glad you got that guitar. You're right about it holding tune and it had an incredible sound, as you know. I have a new friend that moved here from Indiana that has an almost identical Derby so at least I get to see and hear his every now and then.
Darrel I played it Thursday night and saturday night people bragged on the tone that were not even steelers
I love it,I will post some videos soon on you tube hope to do some Chri--mas videos (sorry don't want to offend anyone:).
Skip Mertz

derby sd-10

Post by Skip Mertz »

hi i'm in fay nc right on I-95 are you looking for anything in trade or partial I have o very large big boys toy (hobby) store in fay my cell is 910-580-5389
thanks skip
Todd Brown

Post by Todd Brown »

Thanks for all the nice comments about Derby guitars, guys. This one is just as great. I was surprised by the tone and playability of this guitar. Just the overall professional quality of the build of these guitars is great.

As of right now, I've got a deal pending on this guitar.
Steve Faulk

Post by Steve Faulk »

Is the derby still for.sale . Thanks Steve
Mike May

Post by Mike May »

>>>>>>
Last edited by Mike May on 2 Jan 2018 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike May

Post by Mike May »

Todd Brown wrote:Listing my Derby SD-10 w/ a full 3x5 setup. Emmons setup on the pedals. E's lower on the RKL. Raise 1 & 2 and drop 6 with the LKR. Vertical lowers the B's. Kind of a dark Midnight Blue. Tooled vinyl pad. George L E66 pickup. Polished flags. Plays and sounds great. Really a great sounding solid guitar. Emmons style case with wheels. Serial # 230.

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it
I'll switch the E's to lower on the right or set it up any way you want as long as no extra hardware is needed. I'll also ship it anywhere(overseas) as long as you're paying the extra shipping costs!!!

$2300 shipped in the US. PayPal fees and shipping included. PayPal or Postal money order or Paypal preferred.
Last edited by Mike May on 1 Jan 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike May

Re: Derby SD-10 3x5

Post by Mike May »

Todd Brown wrote:Listing my Derby SD-10 w/ a full 3x5 setup. Emmons setup on the pedals. E's lower on the RKL. Raise 1 & 2 and drop 6 with the LKR. Vertical lowers the B's. Kind of a dark Midnight Blue. Tooled vinyl pad. George L E66 pickup. Polished flags. Plays and sounds great. Really a great sounding solid guitar. Emmons style case with wheels. Serial # 230.

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it is.
PM sent...

Mike May

Re: Derby SD-10 3x5

Post by Mike May »

This guitar is setup standard height right now. But, the rear legs are 1" under standard. So, take the rod extenders off and switch the front and back legs around and you've got a 1" under standard guitar. Or leave it the way it is now and it's standard height. This makes the guitar interchangeable the way it is. I'll switch the E's to lower on the right or set it up any way you want as long as no extra hardware is needed. I'll also ship it anywhere(overseas) as long as you're paying the extra shipping costs!!!

PM sent
Mike May

Derby Sd10

Post by Mike May »

I sent you a PM
Mike May

Derby Sd10

Post by Mike May »

Can we talk ??? 336-366-7147
William Johnson

Derby Sold?

Post by William Johnson »

Is the Derby SD-10 w/ a full 3x5 setup sold?
Thx,
Billy
William Johnson (Billy)
Statesboro, GA

Sho Bud Student / Emmons DB E9
Sierra DB E9 / ZUM DB E9 / Derby DB E9 Marlen E9 / BMI E9

Mosrite Ventures '69 / Gibson Cherry ES345 / Custom 'Billie-Tele' Telecaster / Gibson '78 J45 / Custom 'P-Strat' Squire Stratocaster / Epi Parlor

Fender '69 Deluxe Reverb / Peavey NV400 + Peavey TubeFex + Goodrich 7A MatchBox & Pedal
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Mike & William - The original posting is more than four years old. The guitar was sold.