Tab for easy tune that shows how the knee levers work

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Leonard Imbery

Tab for easy tune that shows how the knee levers work

Post by Leonard Imbery »

I've been playing for awhile and I admit that I've been faking it using just AB pedals almost all of the time and I want to get into using more of the levers etc...(I've got ABC and 5 knee set up in standard Emmons config) Looking for a tune that sort of would be a good one to learn that demonstrates how they're all used. Is there such a place to start like this?
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

check my youtube out over 150 videos of stuff that may be helpful
http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeBarcus
Leonard Imbery

Post by Leonard Imbery »

Thanks...I've subscribed...just was looking for a single tune that went through most of the usual changes all in one???
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

most of my stuff are intros and breaks but it makes use of pedals and knees
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Hi Leonard, I started off with Winston and Keith's "Pedal Steel Guitar" and that book has a lot of tab and explanation for use of knees and pedals using the Emmons set up. Also comes with audio CD. I also found that Scot's "Anthology of Pedal Steel" to be a lot of fun to work through, and it has "Bars of Steel" by Lloyd Green tabbed out there which uses a lot of knees to good effect.

Check out Mickey Adams going through Bars of Steel...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh14VbdyDPc
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

I would not get to wrapped up in the Tab thing to much its more important to take the time to understand the "why things are used" such as why the E's are lowered and what chords could they be used for example would be strings 4&5 at 8th fret with the E's lowered. it could be a Em . it could be a G Chord or also a G9 add string 6 into the mix push B pedal then its a G7th. things like that gives you a better look at the Why's
Matthew Beall

Knee Lever Instruction

Post by Matthew Beall »

Hi,
The Up From the Top series by Jeff Newman has separate courses for the two most used knee levers. They are worth the cost. I'm sure you can search this on the forum; many forum members have attested to the value of Newman's instruction. I'm new to pedal steel and am currently using these courses: again, they are worth the bucks. Best of luck to you!

Hope this helps,
Matt