Martino Monster Lick

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kurt Graber

Martino Monster Lick

Post by Kurt Graber »

Tonight I was practicing to a Emmons/Pennington CD "40's to 80's"and when I got to track 15 "Nothing's changed, nothings new", Buddy took a ride and I believe this is his "Martino Monster Lick" that is posted on his Web Site. I laugh out loud everytime I hear this solo...It is so original, so different, so unbelievably cool and so unplayable after viewing the tab. How does he come up with this stuff? This has to be one of my favorite emmons riffs.
Sam Minnitti

Post by Sam Minnitti »

By meeting up with these guys about 25 years ago.

------------------
www.samminnitti.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Sam Minnitti on 01 June 2003 at 08:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rich Gibson

Post by Rich Gibson »

I have copies of the Pat Martino 6 sting guitar studies that this lick is derived from.I used to use it as a warm up on 6 string but I never tried -and probably couldn't play it on steel.I will send copies to interested parties or better yet send it to someone with the chops to post it.Pat is deep...
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

I thought Buddy did a fantastic job on Pat Martino's "The Great Stream." I haven't heard Pat play this tune.

Roger
Jim West

Post by Jim West »

"Buddy took a ride and I believe this is his "Martino Monster Lick" that is posted on his Web Site. I laugh out loud everytime I hear this solo...It is so original, so different, so unbelievably cool and so unplayable after viewing the tab. How does he come up with this stuff?'

It's simple, Buddy Emmons is a true musician. He is the most musical player I have heard on the instrument.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim West on 02 June 2003 at 06:43 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Buddy plays the Monster Licks flawlessly and for the longest time. (Listen to the Live '77 cut of The Preacher.)

Gregg Galbraith showed me this at the convention last fall. It's the twin part to the lick in C. They played it together to end a tune on one of the Swingin' albums.
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>
1--12----------9-------------------------14--------
2-----------------13-----11----------12------------
3--------------------------------------------10--9-
4----------12---------9----------------------------
5----------------------------12--11----------------
6------11------------------------------------------</pre></font>

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 02 June 2003 at 10:04 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Reeves

Post by David Reeves »

That's not quite the way I saw it, Sam.
<center>Image</center>