Advice, Remington Damaged in Shipping

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Daymon,
Call me if you need to. I'll help you as much as I can. Best of luck to you with this ordeal.
BB
281-856-9453 hm 281-382-9661 cell
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Always pack guitars myself. I just don't trust others because it's my responsibility to do everything I can to protect the buyer's investment. This always includes:

- double boxes
- blocks between the pedal rack compartment and case wall
- bubble wrap inside the case to make sure the guitar can't bump around
- peanuts or bubble wrap between the case and cardboard
- insurance for full value
- gobs of packing tape

It costs a little more in time and money, but I rest easier while it's en route.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I too have shipped many guitars over the years and have had very good luck using home insulation material from Lowes (the blue sheets, the white material crumbles when cut and causes a real mess). It is available in sheets 1" thick and in most cases, one sheet is sufficient to safely pack a D-10 guitar. I normally place one thickness around all four sides of the case and double the pieces (2") on the ends. In addition, I also employ many of the useful methods stated in Tony Glassman's post, have not lost one yet.
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Seller should stay on top of UPS claims like an annoying old man, He usually holds the insurance reciept , UPS will pick it up from buyer and be inspected by a higher authority, then it will be returned to buyer, the buyer has the right to get his money back from seller and the seller has the right to recieve the insurance money,
"Beware" UPS will fight you tooth and nail on the packing job and was it marked FRAGILE OR ELECTRONICS, THIS SIDE UP W/ ARROWS
Just saying this because it happened to me as a buyer and luckily enough my seller was willing to work in any way , even to the point of giving my money back on the purchase.
It can only work the UPS way with claims, so try to understand it and make em pay for it, In my opinion if it matters , The seller got screwed by the packing co.

Good luck
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Jack Stripling

Herb Remington...

Post by Jack Stripling »

Hello:

I have heard that Herb isnt building guitars anymore, and Im not sure he has a shop anymore...

Im not 100% sure...
Daymon LaPoint

Post by Daymon LaPoint »

Thanks for the comments guys.
Bobby, there you are! Thank you and I'll give you a holler in the next couple of days. I'm sure if it's fixable you're the fixer. :D
Steel Learnin'

‘71 Emmons “James Blonde”, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets
Ray Thomas

shipping

Post by Ray Thomas »

I have shipped quite a few guitars, we have a ups packing and shipping station in our town and I usually let him pack the guitar, I know the owner and he lets me watch him pack it. He does an excellent job and wants nothing to come back on him. Never had a problem, it cost a few extra bucks but I say go for it. I agree its the shippers responsibility.
Ray Thomas
Livesteel Strings Dealer
Call 919-920-5482
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
Lyndle Gregory

Post by Lyndle Gregory »

Daymon:I am fighting with the store. First they the extra moneyI I paid was because I did not have it wrapped. Then I let them know that they told me that they would de
Definantly package it and that s what the money was for. I would not have insured it for an additional $1000 if they was not going to package it properly. They agreed to look into it further.let me know if I need to file a claim with ups. I will do whatever it takes to make this right even if I have to sell my new guitar to pay you off. I feel really bad about the comments on the forum about how stupid I was I have a good name and want to keep it that way.This is the last post on this forum about this I will contact by email from now on Thanks again Lyndle
Last edited by Lyndle Gregory on 2 Aug 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Gregory

Damaged guitar

Post by Gil Gregory »

Good luck on your claim. I WENT THRU THE SAME THING WITH UPS. YOU CAN'T WIN.
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

UPS offers a "special care" deal whereas they charge $15 and tell you they will give the shipment special handling and that you don't need to package it. LOL Yeah, right. I bought an MCI that was shipped that way once.It had a metal case, yet when it arrived, the guitar was sticking out of the side of the broken case!!!!! UPS was downright arrogant about their not wanting to take responsibility for it. In the end, the guy who owned the shipping store paid for the damages out of his own pocket, even though it wasnt his responsibility--a true professional businessman--much more than I can say for the UPS organization--a company run a muck by union thugs who have destroyed their credibility.

I own a trucking company,and we've contracted with UPS at different times over the years, and if I took the time to tell you some of my horror stories, you'd be reluctant to ever ship an instrument with them. We work for the government as well, and believe me, there is nothing as corrupt, wasteful and inefficient as the government, yet I would ship with the US Postal Service before I would ship with any of the others. They are cheaper and I've never had a claim with them.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

UPS good luck - I have shipped ONE steelseat to a UPS employee and first it was lost and then damaged. I have not gotten any settlement to this day and it was 2 years ago.

I have heard of very many that even use UPS (called oops)

I have shipped several hundred seats FedEx and had one problem - after contacting them the picked it up - sent me photos for an estimate and I called them with an estimate - I had a check in the mail in 10 days that was larger than I had estimated and they credited the original shipment, shipping cost back to me and then back to the customer.

They also credited me basically 3 shipments free on top of that.

Just my experience

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Lavon Chappell

Post by Lavon Chappell »

UPS will not pay unless it has 2 inches of padding around it ( pnuts or bubble tape)I learned this with an amp puchase.
Daymon LaPoint

Post by Daymon LaPoint »

Lyndle you've been WONDERFUL. No hard feeling at all. This is NOT your fault at all. I didn't haven't and won't think that for a second. You'd paid a store to do their job. They failed NOT you my friend. This post was intended to let people know shipping places can and will do this so we all need to be aware and plan accordingly. Don't think for a second I'm unhappy with anything you've done. It'll all wash out and everything will be fine. Holler at me when you can.
Steel Learnin'

‘71 Emmons “James Blonde”, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

You are right they will not consider paying unless they pack it at a store.

Then it still takes forever.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Paul Foster

ups shipping

Post by Paul Foster »

I shipped a 5 string banjo UPS, in the case, in a box, packed with "Noodles" it arrived with a broken neck!!! Never again, FED EX next time and all future shipments!!!
Gary Schlotterbeck

Lyndle

Post by Gary Schlotterbeck »

Lyndle, from what I'm seeing here, you've done everything right so far. If the store gives you too much of a hassle, do like I said in my earlier post... Call your local Television News Consumer Hotline. That is where TV News stations help people with consumer problems; just like this one. The bottom line is; if a Television News Crew shows up at the UPS store (pronounced OOPS), they'll make it right much more quickly to avoid bad publicity. I was once a Radio On Air Personality who did this very thing; it works. If need more information, call me at (415) 971-7096, I'll help as much as I can.
Al Vesel

Freight Damage

Post by Al Vesel »

Daymon,
Sorry to hear about this. I've gone thru this a time or 2. Here is your dilemna. If Lyndle shipped it via a UPS Store, hopefully it is a UPS Store that has the "Pack and Pay" signed agreement with UPS. Not all of the UPS Store's have signed that agreement. And if it a UPS Store that has not signed the Pack and Pay Promise, you could have a long haul in getting your money back Lyndle and Daymon. I know because I went thru this. I purchased a steel from a UPS Store in Florida and unfortunately they were one of the UPS stores that did not have the Pack and Pay agreement with UPS. What that is, is exactly what it says. If you bring it in and have them pack it and ship it, if there is freight damage, UPS will pay the claim with no questions asked. If it is a UPS Store that is not affiliated with that Pack and Pay promise agreement, then UPS will not pay the claim if it is not packaged properly. I went thru this. They came to the house and said it didn't have enough packing material and denied the claim. They said I would have to go after the UPS Store. That is when I found out that not all of the UPS Stores sign that agreement with UPS. Unfortunately, the store that packaged the guitar I bought, did not sign that Pack and Pay Agreement with UPS.

I threatened the owner of that UPS Store and he said he was self insured and he packaged it fine and that he wasn't going to pay anything on the claim. He said I would have to sue him and when I contacted UPS , they said it was between that individual store and me.

Fortunately, as a last resort I checked with Paypal and since I had paid the guy I bought it from with Paypal, I was able to claim the entire amount thru Paypal stating that the guitar was not in the same shape as when I purchased it, because of the freight damage. So because of that, they refunded my money, included the initial freight charge. I had to pay freight back. And this was not an Ebay purchase. Unfortuantely for the seller, he was then left with dealing with that UPS Store, since I was fully refunded thru Paypal.

So keep that in mind, for your best chance of getting money back from freight damage, always pay via Paypal when you can.

So to summarize, if using the UPS Store system, to get your best warranty that you will be refunded your money, have your seller ship via a UPS Store with the Pack and Pay Promise and also pay via Paypal.

As far as your best warranty, no matter what freight company you use, if you pay via Paypal, and there is freight damage, you will be refunded thru Paypal.

A lot of people think that the UPS Store's are owned and operated by UPS. They are not. They are privately owned companies that just ship via UPS or other freight companies.

As far as Fedex or anyone else I do not know their policies.

Good luck.

Al
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
John Brock

Post by John Brock »

check out the you tube vid of the fedex people throwing peoples packages..sick
GFI S10 Nashville 400 Epiphone J200 Kentucky BM650 Mandolin Fender 112 Alvarez 5018 12
Rus-Ler Deluxe
Dwight Lewis

Packing and shipping

Post by Dwight Lewis »

Wesley Medlen wrote:DWIGHT HAS IT RIGHT I BOUGHT AN EXCELLENT BMI SD10 from Dwight about 4 yrs. ago it was packed extremely well I don't know if he or UPS did it but it would be hard to damage it. I also received another one from Ohio boxed with bubble wrap it was done well and shipped by Fed Ex
Wesley, I did all of the packing myself. After seing some things( I wont say :eek: ) I wanted to make sure anything I sold got there like it left my house. Thats too much money to be playing around with. So I do an overkill type wrap/pack job so that a buyer is happy with what they bought and not greiving. Thank you for the kind talk. Steel on people.

Dwight
Dekley (PRS-10C), BMI S12
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

One time when I was at the UPS hub in Bolingbrook, IL, I watched as the conveyor jammed about 3 stories up and large packages slammed all the way to the ground. Quickly, I go the attention of a couple of administrators who were walking by, they looked at me, looked at where I was pointing, ignored me and kept walking. Those packages, some of them large enough to be a pedal steel or even an 88 key keyboard, still laid there when I left about 45 minutes later. If that was an isolated incident, it would have evoked admins to summon someone to at least clean up the mess. Upon receiving a package ALWAYS inspect it for damage and get it documented before the delivery person leaves.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Daymon LaPoint wrote:Seller used a shipping store to pack and ship, they failed miserably. I still can't believe UPS accepted it unpacked and with shipping label simply taped to the case. Sad deal, but it'll all work out.
If he used a "UPS shipping store" to pack and ship, I'm pretty sure the responsibilty should belong to UPS, insured or not.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
autry andress

Small claims court

Post by autry andress »

I would take the UPS Store (The guy who packed it)
to small claims court. I don't think they would want to be In Judge Judy's Court Room. Ha Ha.
Good luck.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

as a side note: where does a person go to find a decent box?
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Tom, just drop by a furniture store and ask for a large box. Then cut it down to the size you need. That's worked for me.
Best regards,
Mike
Bill Howard

UPS got it RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Post by Bill Howard »

My new Derby got here yesterday NARY a scratch!!.
I think Mike meyer paid UPS to pack it it had honeycomb box inside with Foam around outside of case I was really impressed. looks like the box cost as much as the steel :)