1960 Fender Vibrasonic Amp with JBL D130 SOLD PLEASE CLOSE

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
John Kally

Post by John Kally »

Hi guys,
Just added a mess of pics at this link and some better details :
http://s604.photobucket.com/user/jkchro ... ic[b]PRICE LOWERED TO $1650 INCLUDING Fedex shipping, CONUS.[/b] Here's something that Fender designed with steel guitar players in mind, and top of the line as far as the brown amps offered that year. 40 watts, with an original 16 ohm JBL D130 (NOT D130F, which came out a little later) with the same output transformer used on the Showman, 16 ohms here but 8 ohms with the Showman. Wish it was all stock, but here are some changes: the power transformer was replaced with a genuine Fender replacement part with no cutting or hole-drilling apparently required that I can see. Because this transformer had a tap for a tube rectifier, one of the two metal hole covers (this amp shared a chassis with another amp that had four power tubes, so those two holes were just covered up but accessible) was replaced with a tube rectifier socket so that a tube rectifier could be used. Note: if you prefer the solid state rectifier, I think the original "bridge" rectifier is still there but not sure, look at the pics, I can provide a plug-in solid state rectifier so you have two options which would be easier still. The handle was previously replaced with a blackface style but the correct reissue dogbone is back on now. Amp was serviced awhile back before I got it. The brown tolex is kind of dirty and rough in a few spots but not bad, grille is original AFAIK, speaker cone is original, no drilled holes. Note that this amp has tremelo but no reverb, and I don't have the footswitch but probably I have something laying around that would work. Amp includes a nice reissue Victoria cover. Power cord is a heavy-duty three prong replacement as the original was just a two-prong. Even considering everything (oh, and it sounds great), this is a pretty rare amp. Here are a few pictures, not the best as I was taking these from my air conditioned storage unit, and the lighting is not great there. I can get more pics on request if there is serious interest. Date code is JJ (I previously though JI) and it's on both the tube chart and chassis. A few weeks back I purchased several more Fender amps and am in kind of a space crush at the moment, which is prompting this sale. Email me at jkally3@cox.net for questions, offers, etc. PM also works, but I am not always able to get to those right away. Paypal OK, although money order would be preferrable due to the fees but I won't charge you extra for those.

Last edited by John Kally on 24 Jul 2013 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Kally

1960 Fender Vibrasonic Amp with JBL D130 PRICE DROP

Post by John Kally »

Bump for the price drop.
Steve McAvoy

Post by Steve McAvoy »

Fantastic seller here. If I can unload one of my other brown amps, I'll definitely be getting in touch with you about this one John. I don't think folks here realize just how exceptional these amps are...
John Kally

Post by John Kally »

HI Steven,
Thanks. Yes, the brown amps have always been kind of overlooked in the Fender amp scene compared to the tweeds and blackface. I've owned a couple of Supers, Concerts, a Deluxe besides this Vibrasonic and they all have been fine amps. The Vibrasonic was really built for steel players, one of the first amps to be designed for that market I think. My only other brown one right now is a 1960 Concert with center volume, and that one is a "keeper".
Paul Brainard

Post by Paul Brainard »

What's the difference between this and a brown Pro? I have one of those & it's my favorite steel amp ever. Looks like it has the same controls, is it the 3-tube tremolo as well?
John Kally

RE: 60 Vibrasonic

Post by John Kally »

Hi,
Some differences, brown Pro would have had a different speaker and a somewhat smaller 8 ohm transformer, and I think those had a stock tube rectifier but I am guessing there as I have never owned a brown Pro. I think it's a three tube as there are 6 preamps, one for each channel, one is a driver so that leaves three for the tremelo. Does that make sense?
John Kally

Post by John Kally »

Paul Brainard

Post by Paul Brainard »

My Pro has a solid-state rectifier circuit on a little board mounted over the chassis hole where a tube one would be (and a piggyback a/c outlet in the hole as well.) I've always assumed that was original. Mine has a D-130F, which I also thought was stock (or at least a stock option.)Think it's a '62 or '63. Would be very curious to compare it to your Vibrasonic!
John Kally

Post by John Kally »

Hi Paul,
I did some checking about the Brown Pro vs the Vibrasonic. The differences are apparently primarily in the transformers, and also the tremelo circuit depending on the year. Compare how many preamp tubes you have to what I have, which is 6 (three for the tremelo circuit). You're right, both had JBL, the Pro had the D130F which came out after the D130 on mine. The vibrasonic is a slightly heavier amp and it was quite a bit more expensive when both were available, and then the Vibrasonic was phased out when the Vibroverb came along. FYI, mine has the rare 6G13 circuit, which came out right before the 6G13-A and was only used for a few months. There is apparently some "magic voodoo" associated with this version but maybe you can find out more about that on the web.
John Kally

Post by John Kally »

Amp sold to a listmember. Donation on the way.