Attendance?

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Being a " regular " performer at The I.S.G.C. since 2006 I would like to comment here about the redundancy factor mentioned.
I don't consider myself in the league of Buddy or Lloyd or any of the other greats who have graced the stage in St.Louis. But, if anyone has seen my sets out there from year to year they know it is never the same. I change my set list every year because I feel the crowd deserves to hear something new out of me.
That being said. I've seen people walk out on a player a few years ago because his approach was not in their words country enough. I thought what he did was refreshing and cool. So it's a double edged sword.
Another thing to think about is this. John Hughey could not play a set without playing "Look At Us". Yes it is a great song that with his stamp on it will stand the test of time. But when you keep getting the same requests year after year, What are you supposed to do?
I also hear the statement, " It's the same old thing so I'll just hang out in the side rooms". My question to that is, If you're not inside, how do you know what's being played inside?
Just my two cents worth. Take it for what it is.
Zumsteel steel guitars, Telonics and Peavey amplifiers, GHS strings.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I wasn't attempting to leave anyone out. I was just using Buddy as an example. Mike, I've listened to every detail of your sets in Waterloo Iowa and in St. Louis. You bring the jazz, big band and country variety to your set. And, tribute tunes and styles of players such as Chaulker and Green. I'm there when you play. Very inspiring, refreshing and complimentary to listen and watch.
I've played the Iowa shows for several years and "attempt" to change my sets and give variety every year. There's a lot of time that goes into that process. I've heard compliments and negatives from listeners with regards to my choices, depending on their taste in music. It goes with the territory. I choose to stay on the edge instead of playing it safe. I'll always be in front of the stage listening to those that take a risk.
Dennis
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Terry Winter

Post by Terry Winter »

Been reading all these posts and I guess this year being our first ever to attend, even the same old will be new to us! :D
Jerry Berger

Attendance

Post by Jerry Berger »

Terry..... I'm with you. I have never been to the ISGC either and I can't wait to listen to all that great steel music and to meet all those talented players! Christmas is coming early for me!
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

I wasn't trying to make this about me Dennis. I just wanted to make the point that it's not always the same and sometimes when it's different people complain. The old rock and a hard place.
Zumsteel steel guitars, Telonics and Peavey amplifiers, GHS strings.
Bob Snelgrove

Paul Franklin

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Whatever it would take to get Paul back wouldn't hurt! Sorely missed for how long now? Plays the Texas show every year , I think?

bob
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Schedules mean a lot. PF is working quite a bit between the TJs ,Studio, and road with Vince. Maybe if Scotty booked Vince?? Just a thought.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Maybe if Scotty booked Vince?? Just a thought.
Joe, it's a GOOD thought!
Bill Howard

Post by Bill Howard »

Joe Casey wrote:Schedules mean a lot. PF is working quite a bit between the TJs ,Studio, and road with Vince. Maybe if Scotty booked Vince?? Just a thought.
or maybe lowered admission price to where you don't need a second mortgage to attend:)..
Anyone ever think that could be a cause for low turnout?,I have talked to at least 2 maybe 3 steel builders who have trouble paying the cost of going...
and Paul Franklin was never at all of the conventions in the 80's he played with Mark Knoppler and didn't go every year he is always busy,I went many times and didn't see John Hughey he was with Conway then it was great back then the greats showed up sometimes without being booked, Speedy West Julian Tharpe,Winnie Winston of course Hal Rugg Buddy Emmons Herby Wallace the great years
Doug Rolfe

Post by Doug Rolfe »

I have never thought that Scottie's prices were out of line for all the expenses he incurs. Putting on the Gospel steel show for 16 years gave me a lot of insight as to what it takes to do these shows, both money and work. I understand that the attendance is down some, but I don't think that it's due to the cost of getting in. Our problem was that we quit doing the GSGA show and as a result are not producing DVD's from those events and therefore have little to sell to offset our expenses for going. When you consider the cost of a booth, room, food and travel expenses our minimums were well over $1,000.00 for the 3 days and we just couldn't recover that much. I do miss the convention and wish Scotty and family the best as they continue to produce this show.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Sounds like we're over thinking this a bit.
All I can do is look at it from my perspective which is:
Hmmm....lets see who's playing at ISGC this year....
Then if enough names I recognize who aren't known for playing the same set list every year are booked, then I go.
Last year, for example, Sara Jory was booked, I booked, she cancelled, I cancelled.
It costs me (and others who fly in) a good $1000 between airfare, hotel , food and admission. So, we're looking to justify the trip with fresh performances....that's all.
Hey it's always a good time but you need fresh faces to keep interest in these shows....not to mention fresh vendors!
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

If I knew 100% that Sara Jory and Tommy White were going to be there, I would go again this year. I haven't seen either play since the 90's but you never know until you get there and they are canceled or not. I went last year and was disapointed at the crowd. Just didn't seem the same. Hope this year is a big success.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I'd say Tommy is a pretty good bet, since he's being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. If there was ever a year when he'd show up for sure, that's got to be it. As for Sarah, I dunno...
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Yee ha! That's what I'm talking about!
Awesome perfect clip Joe, .....captures Sarah instant appeal.
Don Lanier

Sara Jory

Post by Don Lanier »

I believe Sara Jory is coming this year, along with Rusty Young of POCO fame, Tommy and Rusty are being inducted to the Steel HOF...and there are a few other nice additions to the HOF fundraiser show Thursday night...Barbara Fairchild, Leona Williams and of Course Jimmy and Starla show....