Lloyd Green on Charley Pride (Panther Hall and more)

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Thanks for posting all of the historical perspectives on that great album. I have it on vinyl and one of the CD reproductions-- theo one they cut two tracks from. I added the two missing tunes back from my vinyl copy. :D

That same Bob Knight is a friend of mine and he introduced me to Lloyd at Scotty's and then snapped our picture together. In it, I'm holding my copy of Lloyd Green Revisited. Think I'll spin that one up here at the desk right now!
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Guido Hausmann

Post by Guido Hausmann »

...just want to thank for the advice for this great album!! got one vinyl lp these days!
Sho~Bud Pro II, Sho~Bud LDG, Fender '79 Vibrosonic 1x15 JBL, Fender '72 Bandmaster Reverb + Custom 2x12 Vintage Alnico Cab, Fender 75 1x15", Randall Steel Man 500, Peavey Session 500, Goodrich L120, Sho~Bud Pedal
www.facebook.com/guido.luckylola
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

basilh wrote:...my reference to quad 8 WAS about 8 track, the QUADRAPHONIC ones...
I still have a Quadraphonic 8-track player. In theory, since 8-track uses 1/2" tape compared to the 1/4" of cassettes, and runs at 3 3/4"/sec, compared to the 1 7/8" of cassettes, it should be capable of better results. Its main drawback is that you can't rewind, so if you make a test recording you have to fast forward to the start of the tape before you make your final cut. Also, if you over-run the length of the tape you end up recording over the start of your recording.

(Which has nothing to do with Lloyd Green, but I thought it worth adding.)
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Alan,

The width of cassette tape is 0.15" (about 1/7 of an inch) vs. the standard 1/4" (0.25") tape width of 8-track tape. Each track on an 8 track looks to be 0.021" (0.53 mm) wide; each track on 4-track (stereo) cassette tape is almost exactly the same (spec'd at 0.6 +/- 0.025 mm; 0.6 mm is about 0.24")

IMHO, I think the main drawback was the tape head shifting 4 times for each album. It's almost impossible to keep the head aligned for each track and therefore they'd hiss and lose sound on the edge tracks and would flutter bad when you go over bumps. Plus light foam rubber would pinch the tape to the head. :\
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Danny: you're right. On the quad cassettes there isn't so much moving back and forth with the heads as on the stereo cassettes, but it is a fact that realignment of the heads every time you push that button is a problem. I think the only thing 8-track had going for it was that it was continuous, so you could set it up on an elevator or a shopping mall and it would play for ever without stopping. :roll:

Ironically, when I tell people nowadays that I'm recording on 8 channels everyone equates it to 8-track, even though I'm recording 8 channels on reel-to-reel or minidisk. :(
Guido Hausmann

Post by Guido Hausmann »

the sound of this album, especially lloyd's is one of the nicest sounds i've ever heard...!
and it's even a pleasure for the eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQdR0ciwYg
Sho~Bud Pro II, Sho~Bud LDG, Fender '79 Vibrosonic 1x15 JBL, Fender '72 Bandmaster Reverb + Custom 2x12 Vintage Alnico Cab, Fender 75 1x15", Randall Steel Man 500, Peavey Session 500, Goodrich L120, Sho~Bud Pedal
www.facebook.com/guido.luckylola
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Guido Hausmann wrote:the sound of this album, especially lloyd's is one of the nicest sounds i've ever heard...!
and it's even a pleasure for the eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQdR0ciwYg
I believe that is THE tone most would love to achieve. Effects gear probably won't help much, either.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Thanks for that link Guido. You made my day.

Lloyd's playing is great and his fills sound wonderful. almost like a string section.

Lloyd's the man and that's "THE TONE" 8)
Thomas Butler

panther hall recording

Post by Thomas Butler »

there is a music site named "bitsarah.com" that has the Panther Hall recording available for down load. It's a bit torrent site.

and it's complete with album art
LDG and a Twin Reverb - what more does a guy need?
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Boy, those were the days.We were kids back then.My good friend Tim Harmon played piano for Charlie Some years later and did the cut on Crystal Chandilier.We were at panther hall before Charlie took the stage and Tim looked out and said nervosly,There must be 10,000 people out there.I said yep thats 20,000 eyeballs looking at ya.Thanks for the memories guys.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Robert Fleming

Lloyd Green on Charley pride(Panther Hall and More)

Post by Robert Fleming »

Sometime ago I bought an amp stand from Ernie Cawby and he sent me a few surprises with it. The Panther Hall CD as well as a Lost Show CD with Don Helms. Listening to Panther Hall as I read this facinating post.For those great CDs as well as the amp stand Ernie thank you so much!
Stage One PSG, Old Deluxe Reverb,Peavey Session 500,Nashville Telecaster, Alvarez Yari DY62 Cedar Top acoustic, Alvarez AJ-60-12 acoustic 12 string, Larivee OM-3 Acoustic, Harmony MOTS lap steel, Magnatone MOTS lap steel, Gibson BR-9 lap steel, Andy Hintons coated picks, Ernie Cawby's amp stand, Sharp Covers Nashville Amp and Guitar covers
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

James Morehead wrote: I believe that is THE tone most would love to achieve. Effects gear probably won't help much, either.
You're so right James! I nearly die when Lloyd gets into the bottom of frets.
Red Kilby

New Picture of Panther Hall LP

Post by Red Kilby »

Hi Everyone, here is a really cool picture I took of the Live at Panther Hall LP with my digital camera using the flash at just the right angle, as you can see there is alot more in this photo that you can see, like the neck of Lloyd's Fingertip Sho~Bud, and the Crowd.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Red sure had good taste. I sure miss him. :(
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

http://youtu.be/LiQX6FHGs7w Now you'll see what Lloyd was talking about!
Christopher Wray

Post by Christopher Wray »

Nevermind, started a new thread. Go here if you want to download of the album.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=222834
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Charley was certainly a landmark in country music, and Lloyd was right there with him. Around 1980, another black country singer named Cleve Francis came along. I had always hoped that he would be as successful as Charley, and carry the mantle that Charley had created, but it was not to be. By the mid '80s, country music has morphed into little more than background music for line dancers, and Cleve, despite a few good country songs, sorta faded away off the airwaves (though he still performs around D.C.). The group Alabama almost single-handedly wiped traditional country music (and the steel guitar) from the airwaves. There was a brief respite around 1990 with the popularity of Randy Travis, but that too faded away within a few years, and those simplistic classic country sounds (with the exception of an occasional George Strait song) were just about gone for good from the airwaves.

I saw Charley only 3 or 4 times, but was always impressed with his warm, down-home personality, and his genuine love for classic country music.
Tim Tweedale

Post by Tim Tweedale »

Bumping this message to the top, due to awesome historical Lloyd Green / Charley Pride content.
Geoff Cole

Post by Geoff Cole »

Just imagine if there was DVD of that show in existance.WOW.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Man, somebody's got to get a hold of the rest of those masters from the Panther Hall show and release 'em. They can restore audio tape and film stock that is in ribbons these days. If somebody gives me a location, I will do the rest....bwahahaha!(not-so-evil laugh).
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Man, somebody's got to get a hold of the rest of those masters from the Panther Hall show and release 'em.

Agreed. Somebody with some pull, pull some strings . . . please.

[hr]
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

I’m guessing that the 90 minutes of unreleased Panther Hall material is lost to history. Here’s the story.

After reading the original 2009 post from Lloyd concerning the unreleased material I contacted Lloyd to see if could find out more info. The word was that there existed three tapes in the RCA vault. I contacted a longtime acquaintance at RCA that at that time worked in legal and business affairs. They would have the ability and authority to search for any of RCA’s historic recording...... including the underground tape vault in Pennsylvania. Three tape were found in that vault and were FedEx’ed to Nashville for verification. Here’s what came from the vault.

Barcode 649609 - 15ips Protection copy for side “A” “Charlie Pride in Person”

Barcode 350160 - 15ips Protection copy for side “B” “Charlie Pride in Person”

Barcode 665557(02) - 14 track master “Charlie Pride in Person” - songs not in same sequence as record (master for 8 track cassette)

If there were any additional tracks recorded that night at Panther Hall, and surely there would have been, RCA does not have them and they must have ended up at producer Jack Clement’s studio (Cowboy Arms Hotel & Recording Spa). These additional minutes or recording ultimately would still be the property on RCA records and should have been returned. But sadly, Jack Clement’s studio burned in June 2011. If Jack still possessed any of those lost tapes, they probably “burned like a campfire marshmallow” as Jack said. Jack Clement passed away a few months ago. :cry:
Jerry Jones
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

Plus.... every time I'm in a vintage record store I usually pick these up for a few bucks. :)

Jerry Jones
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Bummer, I didn't know that Jack Clement passed away. I spoke with him a few years ago, what a kind and friendly person he was.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

The master tapes from that show are not lost. Forum guy Gerald Menke did a bunch of work and found them. This was about 6 years ago. The corporation that owns them wants quite a bit of money.

It may be time to try again and maybe do a kickstarter or something for them. From what I have heard it was a wild night and it is all on tape.
Bob