Best Reverb and/or delay unit?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Luke Schneider

Post by Luke Schneider »

If we're talking about the absolute best reverb TONE i've ever heard in a pedal, it is without a doubt the strymon. BUT it is also the tweakiest pedal i have ever used in my life. It just takes too long to dial in, isn't user friendly imo, and its expensive. But i promise it is the highest fidelity, most state of the art digital reverb chip that exists in the world.

I'm using the TC Electronic Nova Reverb. Easy to change settings on the fly, and it sounds 90% as good as the strymon. Its much better than the RRR, the Electro Harmonix reverbs, and the digitech. I tried the T-Rex and it wasn't for me. different strokes. For reference, I play a '67 cuttail push/pull through a '68 drip edge twin with a JBL D130.

I haven't tried the WET but my interest is piqued.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Luke Schneider wrote: I'm using the TC Electronic Nova Reverb. Easy to change settings on the fly, and it sounds 90% as good as the strymon.
Probably much better than the Hall of Fame, right?
Leonard Imbery

Post by Leonard Imbery »

Picked up a HOF today since the closest store to my house happened to have one in stock....very happy with it and I'm sure it will suffice me for all my reverb needs!...question...is the battery still drained by having the leads plugged in, or only when the pilot light is lit as in on position?...I assume that the ac adaptor can easily be picked up at a Radio Shack etc?
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Leonard Imbery wrote:is the battery still drained by having the leads plugged in, or only when the pilot light is lit as in on position?
Yes. You must unplug it to stop the battery drain... I'd obtain that power supply, that pedal will eat batteries pretty quickly I'm guessing (what with the computer inside and all).

I just looked... max consumption is 90mA... a Duracell has about 800mA hours in it, so the pedal should go for almost 9 hours, or less than one overnight plug-in. Two gigs per battery... you decide.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Luke Schneider

Post by Luke Schneider »

Not sure if the Nova is better than the HOF tone-wise. I havent personally played with a HOF. Im intrigued by the HOF because of the size and it doesnt need a wall wart like the nova. From what ive read, the HOF isnt quite as hifi as the nova, but like i said i dont know for sure. Its probably a case of splitting hairs. I use the plate setting on the nova, and there is 3 different kinds of plates on it! Rather than just one on the HOF.

TC makes great reverbs and delays. Im not crazy about their ither stuff, but they do reverb and delay that is world class, and darn near studio rack quality.

I have compared the strymon and the nova head to head. The strymon is best tone-wise, but after a month i found myself preferring to use the Nova. Like i said, its 90% of how the strymon sounds, but makes up for that small difference (and then some) with its ease of use.
Leonard Imbery

Post by Leonard Imbery »

Stephan or anyone...
I just found I had a wall wort that's 1000ma/9v....would that work even though the HOF is rated at 100 ma?...or would it blow it up?
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

I would think as long as the polarity of the power supply was correct for the HOF, it should work fine. The circuit is only going to pull what it needs. I used a single "One Spot" @ 1700ma to run 3 boxes. Again, if the polarity is correct, I think it'll be fine.
Terry Sneed

reverb

Post by Terry Sneed »

Don't think you can beat the Lexicon 100 or 110 for reverb/delay. They are rack units though, not a pedal.

terry
Leonard Imbery

Post by Leonard Imbery »

Dickie Whitley wrote:I would think as long as the polarity of the power supply was correct for the HOF, it should work fine. The circuit is only going to pull what it needs. I used a single "One Spot" @ 1700ma to run 3 boxes. Again, if the polarity is correct, I think it'll be fine.
I found a total of three adaptors that are rated ok for the pedal...only one had the correct polarity, so I'm ok there...
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

Boss RV-3 if you can find one!!! They rock for sure!!!
PRR
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Ok, I'll bite on this one.

Wet Reverb pedal. I knew it was different 2 seconds after playing through it. Simple operation with 2 knobs. GREAT reverb sound.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I have to admit I have a handful of reverb pedals. The Boss 65 Reverb pedal with the COSM technology is pretty close to a Fender Spring Reverb, IMO and don't we all use the Fender reverb as a benchmark? I like the RV-5 plate and I just bought the TC pedal whatever the model name is and I havn't tried it yet.

I like a touch of reverb unless it's a real slow crying song then a bit more with delay.

My take.....
Warren Tavernia

Post by Warren Tavernia »

hi gents just joined the other day so here goes I play a mullen G2 and just baught the Emmons lagrand 2 from bobby boggs in SC waiting for it to arrive this week. For effects I use wompler pedals and a sonic maximizer stomp box thrue a fender steelking and about to upgread the speaker with an eps15c. I realy like the sound of my setup and can switch to my tele without any knob changes. warren tavernia from Pa. :)
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Leonard Imbery wrote:Stephan or anyone...
I just found I had a wall wort that's 1000ma/9v....would that work even though the HOF is rated at 100 ma?...or would it blow it up?
Leonard, I understand you've got an adapter that's working... for future reference, it's OK to use an adapter that has *more* current that required, *unless* the supply is unregulated. Most warts are regulated these days, but you can't just tell by looking at them from the outside. The best bet is to use your voltmeter (you *all* should have voltmeters) to check the voltage with no load. A regulated wart will have very near the nominal voltage output with no load, where an unregulated one will climb way high, perhaps dangerously... it's meant to have rated voltage at rated output *only*. Check 'em to be sure!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Tommy Boswell

Post by Tommy Boswell »

Paul Redmond wrote:Boss RV-3 if you can find one!!! They rock for sure!!!
PRR
You can find one!!! I've got one for sale.
Tommy