Janee Keener with Martina McBride

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jim Saunders

Janee Keener with Martina McBride

Post by Jim Saunders »

I realize this is a steel forum, but I just saw Janee Keener with Martina McBride doing the 4th of July show here in Houston. I first saw Janee in St.Louis at the ISGC, I think in 1999. She was just 16 and unknown, but she got on that stage and blew us all away! She later performed at other steel shows in Dallas and St.Louis, then, I believe, went on the raod with Terri Clark. She was playing rhythm guitar, fiddle and singing backup to Martina tonight.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Jim, we are proud of the fact that Janee grew up playing "The Little O' Oprey" in West Fork, AR. She started at around 6 years old I think. I have been on the show almost 23 years and introduced her to the Tulsa steel club many years ago and she has (is) fulfilling her dream. She is a great musician and a very nice lady.
http://www.littleoprey.org/
Jerry
Doug Rolfe

Post by Doug Rolfe »

Jenee first came to the gospel steel show here in Indy when she had just turned 13. She blew everybody away then. She is a beautiful lady and a fantastic musician. She did our shows until we stopped in 2008.
Larry Schoppe

Post by Larry Schoppe »

I saw her with Terri Clark a few years ago. Terri let her play a fiddle tune & she got a standing ovation almost stealing the show from Terri.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I met Jenee in '98 at Carl Dixons steel show in Atlanta. She was keeping up with Hal Rugg, Herby Wallace and everyone else she played with. I think she was about 14 then. What talent!
Joe Glavey

Post by Joe Glavey »

Doug Rolfe

Post by Doug Rolfe »

Thank to Jerry Roller, she began coming to steel shows and gained a lot of attention by many musicians. I Believe that Carl saw her at our gospel steel shows in 1995, 1996 and 1997 if I'm correct on the years. He, like many other promoters, knew she was a great talent and booked her as a part of the staff band in Atlanta during his shows. She is just as sweet as she is talented. Thank you Jerry for bringing her to our show.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

It's funny how things come full circle at times. I was just telling someone about Janee the other night-- about her playing at Scotty's for several years, starting college at Belmont University and then being hired by Terry Clark. I didn't know she was working with Martina.

Remember, she did a solo CD called the Fidlist, with steel guitar greats Joe Wright and Hal Rugg, and our friend Gregg Galbraith on guitar.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Janee is also playing with Blake Shelton. I saw her on several recent late night shows as well as "The Voice".
Jerry
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Jenee also played the Smoky Mountain Steel Guitar Jamboree quite a few times