A herd(flock, gaggle, bunch) of steel players

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

billy tam

A herd(flock, gaggle, bunch) of steel players

Post by billy tam »

Last night in a little club I play at least once a week we set a new record for steel players. There may be photographic evidence to follow. The club is The Jones Boys Hall of Fame in Denham Springs, Louisiana. Last nights band was the Clifton Brown Band with Hal Higgins on steel, Lamar Posey on guitar(he is also a fine steel player) Jim Lindsey, Tommy Shown, George Turner, Mickey Adams( who played great for a set on Hal's Fessy and me Billy Tam. I don't think I left anyone out but I believe that makes six. I dare say that short of a steel show that was a new record for steelers in one place for an un-announced gathering. I'll be there with the house band tonight but don't expect all the others to be there. I struggled for the right verbage for a S#*@load so I could use some help there.
Billy
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

A stainless of steelers? Sorry,that's all I got right now.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

A 'tuning' of steel players
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

A plethora of professional players

An excess of excellent entertainment

A surplus of super steelers

Tons of ten & twelve string talent

An overabundance of amazing ambidexterity
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

To Steel or not to Steal!!!
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Jimmy Lewis

Post by Jimmy Lewis »

Billy Lamar called me at 2:00am this morning and told me about that. I wish I could have been there. I hope to come see ya'll some time soon.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

"Mob" or "gang" is pretty accepted for other "stealers"...so it ought to work for us, too! :lol:
billy tam

lots of steelers

Post by billy tam »

Jimmy I wish you had been there, a couple more players may have set a record outgunning even some steel shows.
Thanks guys for some "pithy" ideas concerning this conundrum. Hmm a conundrum of steelers or maybe even a cacophony(sp) of steelers would be more appropriate.
Billy
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

jimmy crawford already used 'a ton of steel'.
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

A cell block of steelers.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

"A harmonic convergence...."
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

a boatload of strings
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Here is the answer:

A Motley of Steel players
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Multi metallurgical muscians -no,
musical metallurgical mob -no,
breed of string busters - no,
musical metal string stretchers -no,
aww jeez, I need to go to bed,
How about - a stride of string snappers -no thats not it either..
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

How about a pick of steelers or a bar of steelers, both would seem good for different reasons, there is always a copedant of steelers or a volume of steelers or a neck of steelers :) :)
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Roy Heap

Post by Roy Heap »

A Fretboard of steelers ? :roll:
Bryan Garvey

Post by Bryan Garvey »

Billy - Six steelers in one place.

I see six steelers

C6 of steelers

Cheers
Bryan
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

This could very well be the beginning of a good thing. Thanks to Mickey for treating us all like family in his club. I was blessed again with several new friends...Sheldon, Billy, Tommy, Mickey, Hal Lamar, and I got to see my friend Jim Lindsey too...all in all this was a great trip! Now back to my plane and off to Austin, McAllen, then Santa Fe for a week....I'm gonna miss the crawfish too!!!!!

ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Where I come from, we might say something like "a passel of pickers....or pedalers."
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Posse of Pickers.

Arch.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Our LSGA First Meeting?

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I'm not sure, but I think we just "unofficially" had our first meeting of the LSGA (Louisiana Steel Guitar Association) ... :D ... Mickey called me on Thursday and said he was coming into the area for the weekend and asked if Hal Higgins was going to be playing somewhere ... so ... I called Hal and asked him and found he was going to be at the club in Denham Springs on Friday. I told him I'd be out to see him, but did not mention that Mickey would be there (grin).

Then I called Billy Tam, Tommy Shown and George Turner and told them that Mickey was coming in and we'd be out to the club that night. None of us told Hal what to expect (bigger grin here).

We first ran into Tommy when we arrived at the club. As we entered the club, my nephew, Sheldon, and his wife, Carol, arrived. We went in and got settled and soon I heard Hal's familiar voice welcoming us and then he saw Mickey sitting there ... if only I'd have had my camera ready! Hal had about 30 seconds of immobilized shock and then his grin was so huge it was like sunshine just exploded in club. As we were talking, Billy Tam arrived and there we were ... five steel players having a great time and already talking like the mad scientists we all turn into when two or more steel players get together.

Lamar Posey, the band's guitar player (who is also an accomplished steel player) arrived and suddenly there were six of us steel players. Naturally, the cameras came out and we started taking pictures.

Mickey, if you don't mind me borrowing your photos for just a moment here, I'd like to "identify" us for anyone who might not know exactly who all of us are in the photos ... left to right in this first picture is Hal Higgins, Tommy Shown, my nephew Sheldon Elledge, yours truly with the Mullen cap on and, of course, Mickey Adams. :D

Next photo, left to right, Tommy Shown, Hal Higgins, Mickey Adams, Jim Lindsey, Billy Tam, Lamar Posey and Sheldon Elledge.

Of course, we had to check out Hal's beautiful Fessenden ... very nice guitar with tone to the bone.

Hal did some fabulous playing and then Mickey took his turn at a set and did a fabulous job, too. During the night we had another arrival when George Turner, another steel player friend of ours, and his wife showed up. Seven steel players in all.

The club owners, Mickey and Jack Jones, all love steel guitar and they were ecstatic having so many steel players in their club that night ... only problem was, there were seven players and only one steel guitar! :lol:

Next morning Mickey and Hal both showed up at the house and the three of us went through that steel guitar mad scientist thing, grilled some hamburgers and brats, got all nice and full and then Mickey and I went back out to the club last night to see Billy Tam play ... we all had a great time again and the Jones brothers were still ecstatic about our steel guitar invasion Friday night.

Mickey, don't be a stranger ... come back soon and let's do this again! We'll have to arrange a crawfish boil for you. And, I agree ... let's turn our first "official" LSGA meeting into a reality as soon as we can! :D
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

The “We all took a wrong turn in Albuquerque” of Steel Players. :lol:
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

My wife just saw the photos. And has dubbed us as the MOTTLY CREW!!!!!!!!!
Tommy Shown
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

A Rumble of Steelers.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

a half-ton of tone!