Gibson Console Grande Wiring -- What does the switch do?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Stephen Bedell

Gibson Console Grande Wiring -- What does the switch do?

Post by Stephen Bedell »

Hey guys,

About to repair the pickup leads on my Console Grande. The wiring was cut about an inch out from each pickup, and I figured out how to rewire it.

But, before I get going, what do the different positions on the switch do?

Its a three way switch. I guessed one position is one neck (up for the upper neck), middle was both necks on, and one is the other neck alone.

Is that right? if not, can anyone tell me? Thanks, I don't want to start soldering until I hear from you guys.
Stephen Bedell

Post by Stephen Bedell »

I am new to this, and realized that I wasn't sure what the "usual" use of a console steel switch was for. :)

To elaborate, I know how to connect the pickups, but I am trying to make sure I dont end up with the switch wired backwards (up for the lower neck, and down for the upper neck if I get it backwards).

Looking at the switch isn't painfully obvious what is doing what.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

It should be an on-on-on, with both necks on when in the middle. Think Les Paul-style or Tele switch.

With an ohm-meter you should be able to suss out the switch. Which way it points when on is entirely up to you... whatever makes sense.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

If that is the original wafer switch, I can supply you with a diagram of the way Gibson wired it.
Yes, the three positions are Top Neck, Both Necks, and Bottom Neck.

The center position will give lower volume because both pickups will be in parallel and you may notice
a difference in tone.
Stephen Bedell

Post by Stephen Bedell »

I can't believe it didn't occur to me to use a multi-meter!?!? Thanks Stephen.

Blake, I will send you an email with my email address. Thank you so much for the diagram. Thankfully, my harness is totally untouched other than the cut pickup and ground leads about an inch away from the pickup. I would still like to see your diagram just to make I have figured out the grounding, although, Im pretty sure I have. Thanks again.