About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Theresa Galbraith

CMA Festival 2013

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Alot of good picking this week!
Time Jumpers tonight 3rd & Lindsley & Players Tuesday night
Alot happening in Nashville this week!

Please post with other events around town for the week of CMA Festival.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I'm sure Kid Rock will be there. The question is will reall country music be heard? I doubt it. CMA = Rock show(Run by Manhatten and L.A.)
Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 3 Jun 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I was going to go to the ROPE breakfast and then stay for a day or so but the hotels doubled and tripled their room rates. So, I'm not going.

But I agree with Kevin on the "country" music.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jerry Humphries

Post by Jerry Humphries »

I heard more traditional country music on the voice tonight than you will here at the cma's this week. I have heard several new artist do new material that was in the original country styling. But if they ever get a major record deal with all that carries with it, the nit wit producers in Nashville now, will having them doing the same old crap they are known for producing. The true country music lovers need some movers and shakers (money people) to step up and hire some real country producers, and I know they are still around, even if it means moving out of Nashville and starting a new label.
Bill L. Wilson

Can't go to the festival.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Would love to hear the Time Jumpers, but I can't miss playin' at Roosters Chicken Shack & Honky Tonk, for a few bucks, and all the fried chicken I can eat!!!!!!!! I have my priorities. Besides that the Nashville Cats would say that I play to loud, and my steel playin' sucks.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Come on does every thread have to end up with whining about good old country music. Look to the future an d appreciate the past, for it ain't ever coming back. I think Blake Shelton has done a wonderful thing for country music. Try to look at he brightside for a change. Geez! :)
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I always look at the bright side But it gets harder when it's always dim. :oops: :x
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

I think young people singing great songs of Patsy Cline and Merle Haggard on one of the most popular TV programs is fantastic. As young people are exposed to the classics it can have an influence on their future. Don't be driving through life watching the rear view mirror is all I am saying. I am excited for the future of Music and the Steel Guitar. I plan to be part of it and I hope everyone reading this does also. Teaching, sharing, performing, arranging and supporting there are many ways. Moping in the corner whining about the way it was in 1974 isn't going to get it. Just my thoughts. :D :D :D
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Don't take it to heart, Neils. Each of these posts, including yours, is only one man's opinion. I'm thinking there must be something to all the "whining and moping" or else it wouldn't persist the way it does..
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

No worries on my part. I think it is a typical attitude of many people as they age. Some age with grace and chose to contribute and well others chose a different path. I just encourage people to take a positive approach.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Ditto Niels! :)
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I think it is a typical attitude of many people as they age.
Neils, you are assuming then that the perceived "negative" posters here are, by default, older? Some could call that stereotypical..
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Not necessarily according to the Calender, as much as the attitude. Hell to many I am Old, you are only as Old as you act. Perhaps I intone Old, as I hear this, good old day malarkey a lot when I visit the "Senoir Wharehouses".
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Looks like another Hijacked thread . I believe Theresa asked to post about other events around town ..... just saying ...... some might want to know about them .
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Well said Neil ! Country music continues to evolve, and if you want to remain involved with it, you should evolve as well !
your mind is like a parachute - it's not much bloody use if it isn't open :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

For what it is worth, we have seen a noticeable increase in turnout the last 6-9 months. Gene is selling out nearly every venue we play, 500 - 2000. If it's not a sellout, such as festivals/outdoor shows, then the buyer is ecstatic that it is "the most people we've had for this show". We hear that over and over.

Our dates have increased quite a bit, with several more to come. There is definitely something in the water :):)
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

edited
Last edited by Fred Glave on 5 Jun 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

The only gripe I have with modern country is that the steel guitar has been almost completely eliminated. I think that's something to gripe about don't you? But if you want, I'll try to be postive about it. That said, I'd still like to be in Nashville for CMA week.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

I am opened minded on most music. Sure i love the old stuff. My take is more about the production and all you hear is screaming guitar that is way to distorted to hear it. I agree there is going to be some great music in Nashville during the CMA fest. You can pick your choice of music. Enjoy it embrace it and support it if you love. If not there is an off button.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

I try not to resist change. Change is inevitable. But this music is just bad. I can enjoy any style as long as it is good. Songwriting, vocal performance, production, it stinks. I no longer listen in any capacity other than to keep track that it is not getting any better.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I guess when one has been involved in working and making a living in either traditional or the "New" It's 100% OK to champion either. Certainly Country music is different now and what music isn't? Country music as it's still called is more popular in every State now than it ever was during my tenure. Am I saddened by that? Heck yes. However I'm still proud of what I had a chance to accomplish. Things were not always easy. If we were lucky there was a 500 watt Country Station you could tune to from your car. Now you don't have to search very far its all over the dial. The up stuff was usually called crossover and all Artist wanted to have a crossover hit. Now Rock has crossed over to Country and Country is the new Pop. How can that be bad? We were in an era where genres were pretty cut and dry except Country music. It was either C&W Hillbilly or S--t kicking music. Now it's bigger than sliced bread even in New York and Boston. What we did then was right for us, What's going on now is right for those that are doing their own thing. The music was a pleasure for us and our followings were there to support us. That of course was the Key ,Support. Now the support is there big time for others. To complain there isn't enough steel in the music is not a valid way to judge if it's good or bad.
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

What Jack Strayhorn said X 20%!!

For me, IMHO: This show was simply "Awful"!! :(

Sorry, not looking to poke anybody in the eye.

I agree with and admire those recommending an open mind approach. I really did try, It is what it is. :eek: Just one man's opinion.....TX

Rgds,

Ron
JCFSGC member 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Fender Stringmaster D8,
"83" Emmons LeGrande 77L SKH D10 8 & 5,
"67" All Original Telecaster & Original Owner
"86" Peavey Factory Modified NV 400,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10"s, RV-3, Upgraded chip set GE-7 EQ, CH1 Chorus, DS-1, Hilton, BJS Bar.
Larry Dering

Using your ears

Post by Larry Dering »

If you just used your ears, would you continue to listen? I for one am not impressed by eye candy. I no longer watch any of the award shows. That said, I now use Internet radio, or one of the local AM radio stations. No FM. No TV for me. Just sayin.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

For Fred.
If you listen to some other genre's of music, you would see there is an increase in the use of lap steel and pedal steel guitar. Listen to some "Americana" or on Pandora go to National Steel Radio and listen for a while. Steel Guitar has a great future!
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

In yesterday's Tennessean it said "A record-setting crowd is gathering, traveling to Music City from 27 countries". [For the CMA Music Festival.] In today's paper it says "Less than seven years after Schermerhorn Symphony Center opened its doors, the Music City civic landmark appears headed for the auction block".

Ironic, ain't it? Music City. Maybe the Symphony'd draw better if they dressed the violin (oops, I mean fiddle) players in raggedy jeans and cowboy hats, reckon?

It takes a certain level of intelligence and musical sophistication to understand and appreciate symphony music, but to grasp today's Top 40 Country it takes, um... an iPod?
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville