How to tell what scans and updates are running?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

David Mason

How to tell what scans and updates are running?

Post by David Mason »

Is there a way to find out when something is running in the background? Sometimes my system just starts running horribly slow, like maybe 1/3 to 1/4 speed, and I'm sure it's some scan or backup thing. I try to be careful when I update stuff - as I'm sure you know when you "need" to update Abobe or "flash plugins" or something they're always try to sneak something in. I just want to know if there's some way to tell, when it's running slow, why and what is doing it right then. I know I don't need every single anti-virus program out there.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The "Task Manager" is a good place to start.

On most Windows OS', CTRL/ALT/Delete (press all three at the same time) will either bring up the Task Manager or give you a menu that will have the Task Manager as one option.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

Ctrl+Shift+Escape brings up the task manager directly...
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Once you open Task Manager, click on the Processes tab. To sort by CPU usage, click on the CPU label. The worst offenders will move to the top, then drop down as they release demand to other processes. System Idle Process should normally be high and represents the opposite effect as other processes that consume cycles.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Thanks Wiz, that takes me two steps further than I already knew. I just never know which ones I can safely dump.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro