Earth Drive problem

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kelvin Monaghan

Earth Drive problem

Post by Kelvin Monaghan »

Well my best friend my Earth Drive has started acting up,to be precise the signal both direct and overdrive have been fading in and out.
Having a reasonable idea of electronics I did some trouble shooting and found the culprit ,the footswitch ,its obviously not making proper contact ,click it a few times and its a toss up whether it works or not.
I was able to find an exact replacement it turns out its just a common easy to obtain switch,so I thought it would be a simple matter to replace.
The problem after trying a solder sucker and some solder wick it almost impossible to desolder the original without damage to the circuit board,so I reassembeld hoping somehow it may miraculesly work ,no such luck same as before.
So my Question how do I fix this switch,my ED is an early one no38 the old green colour.
Any of my other pedals I wouldnt care but nothing replaces my ED.

Cheers
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

The switch must be replaced... If it is beyond your skill then someone else must do it.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

I think you should send it back to the person who built it. He'll take care of it.

B
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I agree, Brad has great items and service. Any part in anything can have a problem
so like the man said, send it back to the guy who made it.

Lenny
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

That was perfect Brad !
Billy Nelms

Post by Billy Nelms »

Brad Sarno wrote:I think you should send it back to the person who built it. He'll take care of it.

B
Seems like sage advice from a very informed member!! :D
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

If I had an ED problem, I'd skip the home remedies and go straight to the doc. Dr. Sarno that is. : )[/list]
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Kelvin Monaghan

I was aware I could probably send it back to Brad to have it repaired,but living in Oz its a long way .
Anyway I percervered and got the switch out and the New one in ,all back to normal.

Cheers
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Ahh yes, you are quite a ways away from me. Sorry bout the switch problem. Glad you got it working again. Those switches are a bugger to replace!!

B
Kelvin Monaghan

Thats an understatement Brad ,desoldering doesn't work so I took the switch apart and with a fine Razor saw I slid it between the red switch lugs and the circuit board and slowly cut thru all 9 lugs,it took forever .
With the switch removed I simply put my soldering iron on each lug and from underneath pushed each lug thru the board ,Simple Ha
Cheers
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Speaking of exotic far away places Brad, I was using my Earth Drive on Norfolk Island last week ... wonderful mate !! and my switch still works fine hehe ....
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.