Songs utilizing A-B-C pedals only

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nick Anderson

Songs utilizing A-B-C pedals only

Post by Nick Anderson »

In the past month, I have started back with the steel guitar, E9th tuning. Right know, I only have a Fender 400 8 stringer. I have A, B and C pedals, with the forth lowering the "E's."

I'm practicing some early Mooney stuff, since the Fender 400 fits that pretty good. "Under Your Spell Again" is one I'm working on now.

I'm looking for other songs, that would utilize the ABC pedals only. Just simple stuff for inspiration.

If you guys have suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks,
Nick Anderson
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

On one of my Newman courses A&B pedals Another Bridge to Burn and Don't You Ever Get Tired Of Hurting Me . The first songs I learned. 8) You can also lower your E's to flavor them up. ;-)
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

You can play most songs, just not the way you might if you had more pedals. I played for years with only the three pedals and no levers and before me there were plenty of great players who made wonderful music with NO pedals. Just keep playing what you have and finding the cool stuff in there; when you get more pedals you will already have toolbox to expand upon.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Jimmy Day album "Steel and Strings"
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Tom Brumley's "Together Again".
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

To really progress on the pedal steel, you need to add some knee levers or trade up to a different guitar.
I would be lost without the A pedal and F knee lever combination. It just opens up the E9th neck.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

May I suggest that you play the seventh string (F#) along with the B+ C activated strings, because this is the root note for this minor chord.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

You can play everything, maybe not as recorded or as performed. But we'll enough for the average drunk. Go for it. Learn some theory and find out there are no magic pedals.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Red River Valley
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Find a teacher that doesn't "stutter" when playing without knee levers.

They're out there. ;-)

I have a 400 myself. They're simple, but still a blast to play! 8)
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Didn't Neil Young's steel-player, the late and great Ben Keith, only have one knee-lever on his Emmons Push-pull? Ben's playing was characterised by its economy, placement and a unique, almost haunting sound. You should be able to do pretty much most of Ben's stuff with just three pedals, especially if you're doing any Neil Young songs.

Jerry Garcia's steel on "Teach Your Children" is also pedals-only playing.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Ian Sutton

Post by Ian Sutton »

If I recall, "Rainy Day Woman" would also apply to this list.
Some gear.
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Erv Niehaus wrote:To really progress on the pedal steel, you need to add some knee levers or trade up to a different guitar.
I would be lost without the A pedal and F knee lever combination. It just opens up the E9th neck.
Yes! It provides the first inversion of the E chord at the 3rd fret, with the second inversion at the 7th fret, A&B pedals down. It also gives you a "pocket" at the 3rd fret to play around. I played professionally for years on an S10 ShoBud with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. That's all I needed (with help from Jeff Newman on playing C6-like on an E9 neck). - Jack
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Erv Niehaus wrote:To really progress on the pedal steel, you need to add some knee levers or trade up to a different guitar.
Yes! It provides the first inversion of the E chord at the 3rd fret, with the second inversion at the 7th fret, A&B pedals down. It also gives you a "pocket" at the 3rd fret to play around. I played professionally for years on an S10 ShoBud with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. That's all I needed (with help from Jeff Newman on playing C6-like on an E9 neck). - Jack
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Man, I really wish Nick lived in my area. :(
Nick Anderson

Post by Nick Anderson »

Thanks everybody. It looks as if I'm on the same wavelength here. A lot of the songs listed are on my "to do" list.

This is not my first rodeo with pedal steel. I gave it up for seven years, learning some Dobro instead.

The Fender 400 was a project that I had not finished in a while. A local player started to offer lessons, and I thought that it would be great to learn a little A-B stuff again. I finished the Fender 400 and now learn(relearning correctly) A-B pedal work.

In the mean time, I have ordered a Stage One steel. I'm thinking that it's better to progress with what I have, no matter how basic it is, and then move on to the Stage One. Once I get the better Steel, I can start to expand.

Thanks again,
Nick