Black box position

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Nelms

Black box position

Post by Billy Nelms »

Getting my black box tomorrow and I'm curious about how it will land in my chain. Right now I have MSA D12>Buzz Tone>strobo flip>vol pedal>amp. I know the black box is intended to go directly after the pickup to "see" it properly, but then I loose the ability to switch the buzz tone on/off easily if its not right there on the apron.

Any suggestions???
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Mount the BB on the guitar legs and plug the buzzer into the box output?
Billy Nelms

Post by Billy Nelms »

Thought of either that, or mounting a bracket on the side of the seat so I can reach it...
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

There was a discussion on where to put the Black Box here very recently and most the guys recommended to not put it on the the guitar legs. I think they said you would get a buzz. Most agreed the floor was best, but I bet just as long as you don't get it too close, like on your seat, would be fine.
Billy Nelms

Post by Billy Nelms »

I saw that. Guess it will just have to be trial/error once it arrives and see where it all ends up. Just curious if anyone else had dealt with this issue before.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I haven't gotten that critical concerning my effects chain and always have the bosstone plugged in to my steel and then to BB. I haven't discerned a considerable amount of tone diference worth justifying a different setup to put the BB directly from steel. I prefer the ease of use of bosstone being at fingertips. YMMV
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I don't think you are going to hurt the Black Box either way. Just use your ears and see what works for you. Brad Sarno is very good to answer questions. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in.