Garageband settings for recording via Peavey Nashville 112?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Botofte

Garageband settings for recording via Peavey Nashville 112?

Post by John Botofte »

I just bought an iTrack Solo for iPad and laptop. I connected my Peavey NV 112 to it (from the preamp output on the amp's back to the device's guitar input) and then record via Garageband. My question is for people who record via GB: To get the best recording closest to live performance, should I duplicate the real amp's settings in GB's amp settings, should I use the NV's settings only and turn the settings in GB off - or the opposite? What is the "professional" way for the best recording?
Thanks - and sorry if it is a stupid question.
John
GFI SM10-SD 3x2 Pedal Steel,
Georgeboard 8-string, 6-string DL travel lap steel, Gretsch 6-string, Gretsch Jim Dandy Parlor Guitar, Peavey Nashville 112, Boss RV-5
Zoom R8

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

John - It's not a stupid question.
The "professional" way to do it would be thru some kind of warm pre-amp. $$$
That being said, the NV112 is made to be played thru the speaker. The speaker & the amp, thats where the "live" sound is. With that amp, I would use a microphone.
You can certainly try to get a good sound using the EQs going straight out of the 112 pre-amp.
I would think your settings would change if you take the speaker out of the loop so you will have to experiment. Who knows, maybe you do the pre-amp out thing and you just love the sound. Gotta try stuff out and see what works for you.
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
William Hughes

Recording on Garage Band

Post by William Hughes »

I recently got a Blue Spark Digital Microphone.It plugs directly into an IPad's 30 pin connector or via adapter into the new lighting connector. Sounds great.
John Botofte

Post by John Botofte »

Thanks for suggesting using microphone instead. I must admit it sounds ten times better than the cold tone when recording directly to GB. Does it matter very much where the microphone is placed in front of the amp?
GFI SM10-SD 3x2 Pedal Steel,
Georgeboard 8-string, 6-string DL travel lap steel, Gretsch 6-string, Gretsch Jim Dandy Parlor Guitar, Peavey Nashville 112, Boss RV-5
Zoom R8

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965
William Hughes

Recording on Garage Band

Post by William Hughes »

I think it's a matter of preference on mic placement. The middle of the speaker will be brighter than the edges. Experiment and have fun.