lessons without tab available?

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
Leonard Imbery

lessons without tab available?

Post by Leonard Imbery »

I just downloaded a whole DVD of dobro lessons where they teach by video of slowly playing phrases and playing along with a guitar player...all without any tablature (works best for the way I learn)....unfortunately the company only deals with acoustic instruments so don't have nor plan on having any instruction on pedal steel....
Anyone know where I can get something of this nature?....probably not much higher level than a beginner as I have to unlearn years of old mistakes and want to get going using the knee levers...(something I never really got into using much)
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Iknow Mike Archer uses this method on his DVD on Down To My Last Cigarette. I suspect his other instructional DVD's are similar.

You should also check out Dave Anderson's pedal steel instruction here:

http://www.onlinelessonvideos.com/home.php?cat=271

His stuff can be paid for and downloaded online for immediate gratification (well... learning is NEVER that, but you know what I mean), and are very reasonable. He has samples on Youtube, so can check out his instructional style to see if it works for you.

Those are the two I know of. Good Luck!

Doug
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Dick Sexton

With out tab...

Post by Dick Sexton »

My friend Greg did a few of those...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ght=newbie
Leonard Imbery

Post by Leonard Imbery »

Thanks for those pointers...I should be very busy now....
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hi, Leonard, all of my current instructional materials are audio on CD in the "talk tape" style. I purposefully chose to avoid tablature as it engages the auditory side of memory and recall, just as we do when playing in a group or by ourselves. Loads of licks and style courses, but you might really enjoy the theory and number system course, which really tears apart the E9 tuning, or the rock and blues course for some ideas of how to play outside the country realm.
More here: http://www.markvanallen.com/store_books.html
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Leonard, Paul Franklin's old "Talk Tape" audio cassette series had quite a few lessons (30 or so) , all of which were without tab. Perhaps post an add in the WANTED section, as these tapes are no longer being produced .Paul has some recent material as well but these old courses were great. Also, run your ragged going through Steve Paulousek's Emmons Video cassette series. I think there were 10 tapes each about two hours each. have fun steve t
Leonard Imbery

Post by Leonard Imbery »

Thanks for all the referrals, I've found a plethora of material....and most of it downloadable too...
IMHO, this way is the way to go now for instructional material....Downloadable video along with taking payment by Paypal.... I don't think people selling old DVDs and expecting checks in the mail can compete as this way of getting the merchandise to the buyer is so much faster and convenient....especially with out of country sales since I don't have to put up with shipping charges and customs fees/delays.
Mike Archer

bump

Post by Mike Archer »

bump
Last edited by Mike Archer on 26 May 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons SKH legrande/ Nash 400 amps
Tele and deluxe amp
Joey Ace

Tab

Post by Joey Ace »

You shouldn't avoid any DVD or CD lessons that interest you because they use TAB. Just because they include it doesn't mean you have to use it.

Though everyone is different, I believe learning without TAB is best for your progress. It might take longer but the results are worth it.

You can replay small sections so much easier than we could with records and tape when I was learning, before "the turn of the century".

When Al Brisco and I were making the Mooney/Bakersfield Sytle DVD my plan was to have him explain every move in detail and not use TAB. That's what we did, but quickly found out the sales were greatly limited because many wanted TAB.

So a TAB booklet was added to the product, but I still believe you're best without it. The Pause and Rewind are your friends.

I'm not against TAB. I sometimes use it. It's a tool but only a small part of the tool chest.