Bigsby volume/tone pedal

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tele

Bigsby volume/tone pedal

Post by Tele »

Hi
I have a mid50s Bigsby volume/tone pedal similar to the Fender units from the same era but of higher quality. I heard they are reissueing this thing...any information about that?????Where can I get one? Does anybody know which potentiometerwas use for the tone control???

------------------
Fender Custom Triple 8
Emmons S-10
1954 Super Amp
1958 Telecaster
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

xzxzxz
Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

zxzxzx!
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

2<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Mike Black on 12-06-99]</FONT></P>
Tele

Post by Tele »

Hi Mike,

did you really say STANDARD guitars, like Merle Travis or Billy Byrd used them in the 50s??? That would be something!! I had plans to build one with the help of a wellknown luthier but I think a reissue would be much cheaper....

------------------
Fender Custom Triple 8
Emmons S-10
1954 Super Amp
1958 Telecaster
Chris DeBarge

Post by Chris DeBarge »

Tele,
The one I have has a 1meg audio taper pot for the tone, coupled with a .1mf cap. I've heard it sounds better to use 500K for the pot, but I've never heard it.

Chris

btw, you should buy the best pot you can get, most of the steel guitar stores should have 'em, around $20-30.<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Chris DeBarge on 12-08-99]</FONT></P>
Tele

Post by Tele »

Chris,

I got mine with a 500k volume pot and a 100k tone pot which is obviously wrong. I mean there is a slight sound change but I like it to be very dark and then bright. Would a 500k pot be a better choice to obtain that sound. Actually the tone pot on my Fender Triple 8 sounds exactly the way I like but I need that under my feet.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Hi there! As I look down affectionately at my Bigsby Vol/Tone pedal, I seem to recall that the values on both are 500. I was going to open it up to verify it for you but some of the other pro's will likely have that info' for you before I can locate a screwdriver that I need to get inside it. If not, Email me, I'll be happy to go that extra step for you. Word does travel fast.
I'm no longer interested in selling my 4-neck
at this time but have been interested in what it might be worth on today's market. I've had offers from $350 to $3,500. Any ideas. I understand it's the only one left and it is in primo condition. I have a photo of a Bigsby standard guitar that my close friend plays. He's had offers of $25,000 for it. If I can figure out what I did before, I could email it to John Light and he might be willing to post it for us. Anyone interested in seeing it?
Tele

Post by Tele »

Yes I think it should be 500k on both......maybe I will try that today, hope it sounds better......
A picture of a Bigsby standard would be awesome, post it here or send it to me(ASAP) since I have plans to build a replica.
Andy
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

zzz
Hill Phillips

Post by Hill Phillips »

The pot should be an audio taper and not a linear taper.

Learn the hard way Phillips</P>
Tele

Post by Tele »

Mike
where could I find more information about the standard guitars? The Gretsch website is not that informative, I know the reissued the pedal but didn't even mentioned it there........
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

For more information on Bigsby.....try Ron Middlebrook, Centerstream Publishing: Email is Centerstrm@aol.com He has a friend that built some replicas of Bigsby.....and he might know from his research. Good Luck
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

zzss
Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Layman

Post by Fred Layman »

I think Fender used 250K pots in their volume-tone foot pedals. I have one, but haven't been inside it yet.
Max Laine

Post by Max Laine »

Tele, There's a Bigsby vol/tone pedal on EBay at the moment. Highest offer was $160 last time I checked... still has five days to go!

Max
Tele

Post by Tele »

Max,

thank you.....
I know I am the highest bidder right now. However I already have an original pedal, I think I will get me a new reissue or maybe someone is interested in selling his...??
Murray Cullen

Post by Murray Cullen »

It would have to be a (US Custom-shop) built Bigsby to be right, as is the case with the other Gretsch models.
db

Post by db »

I am talking with Fred Gretsch about the reissue of the Bigsby Volume/Tone pedal.
He has a large inventory of parts, but is not interested in manufacuring them.
Is there still an interest in them, what would you pay for a brand new one? <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by db on 07 September 2000 at 09:22 PM.]</p></FONT>