Steels On E-Bay

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Andy DePaule

Steels On E-Bay

Post by Andy DePaule »

I have been checking the forum and e-bay a lot looking for a decent guitar and a good price to use while I'm stuck here in the USA.

Seems to me that these days almost every one of them on E-Bay are way overpriced with silly high reserves.
Many don't even have a place to make an offer, but just have a "Buy it now" button?
I also notice that they often don't sell or even get a bid.

Maybe they are not aware that things are worth what someone is willing to pay?
Just my 2¢ worth..... Am I the only one who thinks this? Am I wrong?
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Stephen R. Feldman

ebay steel prices....

Post by Stephen R. Feldman »

Hello,

You can always try to
"submit a question"
about the item, after it
hasn't sold, and include
your phone number, and
politely ask if it will be
re posted with a different
price...

Just a suggestion,
Steve
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

You should buy on the forum. Fair prices from honest
steel players, that you can always communicate with.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Stephen R. Feldman

Ebay steel prices...

Post by Stephen R. Feldman »

I'd second that.
Ray Thomas

Steel guitar

Post by Ray Thomas »

Ray Thomas
Livesteel Strings Dealer
Call 919-920-5482
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
Andy DePaule

Thanks for your thoughts

Post by Andy DePaule »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Yes I know that in general we are better off buying from a forum member.
Just missed a couple of real great deals last two weeks by a few minutes.
That last one, a Derby SD-10 for $900.00 was really painful to miss by just a short time.

As for forum members being honest I agree in general, but not all have been straight on their sale items.
Last year I bought a D-10 Sho Bud that was not in the condition it was represented to be in. Had I known I would not have paid the price I did.
That is now a restoration project on the back burner.

Yes I do feel safer shopping on the forum.
It was just my thought that some people are over pricing their guitars by quite a bit.
Andy
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

It was just my thought that some people are over pricing their guitars by quite a bit.
I've too have noticed that lately on eBay. A lot of sellers list their guitars at sky high prices hoping that someone will come along and pay that crazy price.
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

I just purchased a steel from a forum member and I can say, everything went very well. Honest and upfront.

Also, there are forum member that also sell on eBay. I'm sure there is a bit of luck involved in any purchase. Do all the homework you can.

And BTW............ I'm really sorry you are "...stuck here in the USA". Me too, but I love it.

Jim
Leonard Imbery

Post by Leonard Imbery »

I placed a bid $100 over the starting price on one but the reserve hadn't been met....The seller lowered his reserve towards the end of the auction to the price I'd bid but it lowers your bid in this case to $1 less than the reserve....I would have bought it if he'd had that price as his reserve from the beginning....as I'd already found a steel to buy by then from another source...
Andy DePaule

Love

Post by Andy DePaule »

It's not that I don't love the USA, I do.
I just resent being forced by a judge to remain here against my will and not allowed to go back to my home and business.
It's a long story and this is not the place for it.
I think I'd love it a whole lot more here if we still had the freedoms we started off with and declared in 1776.
Now we are just free to do as we are told!
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Many sellers on eBay obviously don't have a clue about how seriously the vintage market has collapsed the past year or two. I've followed a number of auctions and seen the same pattern repeated again and again: a seller posts an item with a starting bid that probably would've attracted lots of interest two or three years ago. Nothing, not a bite. Once the auction has ended the seller will re-post the item for several hundred dollars less and often as not still not attract any bidders. I nearly grabbed a Fender Dual Professional a few months back that even when the opening price was lowered to below a thousand dollars generated no bidding. Until recently, it would've been a bargain at fifteen hundred.

The recession does make for some great bargains, but at least with the instruments I'm looking for there seem to be fewer examples coming up for sale. I think the knowledgeable sellers recognize how contracted the market has become and are hanging on in hopes of a recovery.
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

Doug Beaumier wrote:A lot of sellers list their guitars at sky high prices hoping that someone will come along and pay that crazy price.
Yep, I think this is probably true of at least a portion of all sellers of any item of any kind.

However, I sometimes watch things for several weeks/months, and after the item never sells, I simply PM the seller, making a lower offer. If he/she accepts, then we don't deal outside of eBay or anything, he/she simply relists at an agreed-upon BIN price at a certain time, and I buy it then. I've sold this way, too, after not getting any high enough bids to meet my own reserves.
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

Sure you're gonna have people with unrealistic expectations but all in all it's a self policing mkt. Frankly, I don't see a whole lot of difference in pricing between the higher prices and what I can find at the brick and mortar places. They have to pay rent so the prices are higher. Sometimes it's just a lack of buyers or a mkt big enough to set a normal price. I've got 2 guitars for sale here on the forum. Have I got them priced too high or is it that there aren't enough buyers here to "tell" me I'm right on or too high?
Steve
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Ebay charges 10% on the sale price and freight. People have to price things up . Most sellers are willing to take a loss but taking a loss and a big hit from Ebay is too much most times.
I just quit trying to sell there. :(
Bill
Keith Bolog

Post by Keith Bolog »

Nobody mentioned fishing for an off-ebay deal: advertising your steel/item to the entire world for 3x the real price hoping to make a private transaction and save (BIN + Paypal is 13%). You can DISPLAY your phone and direct contact email in the listing to get 'questions' without violating Ebay rules.

A $500,000 telecaster? Its not the real price...buyer wants to hear from you.
Say what you mean. Mean what you say.
Joe Gall

Post by Joe Gall »

Ebay is getting crazy with the fees! Getting to the point where it is sickening! Now when I buy from someone, even on here, if I use PayPal, I always use the "gift" option as there are NO FEES involved. Over the past 10 years I have paid plenty of fees to Ebay/PayPal (which are now one in the same). Yes, there is the "send money to a family or friend" option which eliminates the PayPal fees believe it or not!

The "gift" payment does not work when buying something on Ebay, they have that figured out! LOL
Been at this damn thing for a few years now. Not so sure that I'm getting anywhere but it is fun. Sometimes.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Ive purchased st least 10 steels from the forum and every one was as stated and very fairly priced. Just cause dirty underwear will sell on EBay, they all ask for premium prices. Once saw a Maveric for $2500. Stick with the forum. All guys are honest as can be, just my 2 cents worth

Chech out that D 10 Carter, great guitar and great deal
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Ebay has had very little of interest lately - the same, over-priced, over-used Sho-Buds. The real deals, I think, are on Craig's List. There are a number of search engines that let you search all Craigs Lists for something. The problem, of course, is buying outside your area: Craig's list strongly advises against doing deals other than in person, and you have none of the security Paypal/Ebay offers for shipped items (well, there is a way - keep reading). Having said that, here are just a few interesting items I see at the moment (I tend not to click on S-10's/LDG's etc, but there are even more of them):

MSA D-10's:
$800 - (needs some rods) http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/msg/3777835432.html

MSA D-12's:
$1100 http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/3783776111.html

$1050 http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/msg/3758431218.html

Emmons push/pull with 9x8, black, $3700:
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/3733872433.html
(not exactly cheap, but I have seen few that loaded).

Sierra Crown, 8x6, $1350:
http://springfield.craigslist.org/msg/3733499333.html

Mullen D-10, pretty, $2600 (Mickey, weren't you looking for pre RP's a while back?)

Sho-Bud Super Pro D-10, Needs One Tuner Button $1250: http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/3769212884.html

Note - I have no horse in this race, so nothing to gain by these sales. Just pointing out that there are some good deals out there on Craig's List. No doubt the fees on Ebay are part of the reason for this. If I were trying to buy on Craig's List, inside the US, but not where I can drive and inspect, I would suggest using an online escrow service (about $32 per $1000 of value) and offer to pay that myself, and shipping on a bargain-priced item. I would insist on a lot of good-quality pics, a thorough description, and details of any questionable areas. This should be easy, but I am amazed at how many people have no digital camera, and no idea how to post pics (or anything else) online.

I've noticed many instruments sit on Craig's list for months too, even at bargain prices. I figure this is mostly the much smaller market compared to Ebay. So, you might hit the seller ready to make the deal, and if you set it up right, all will be fine if both parties are honest. If not, you get your money back.

Cheers,

Doug
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Andy DePaule

Craigs List?

Post by Andy DePaule »

Hi Douglas,
That is something I never thought of.
Those links were some very good deals though I am wanting an S-10 or better still a SD-10.
I have checked our local Craigs List, but never seen any steel guitars.
What are the search engines that allow a person to search all the cities on Craigs list?
Thanks for a great idea.
Best wishes,
Andy
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

Douglas Schuch wrote:Sho-Bud Super Pro D-10, Needs One Tuner Button $1250: http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/3769212884.html
Wow, drool! And this one is near me, too! How'd you find these short of searching every CL city page in the US?
Jon Sawyer

Post by Jon Sawyer »

Search every craigslist here, be aware, most links that are older than a week or 2 are usually expired.

http://www.adhuntr.com/
Andy DePaule

Great link

Post by Andy DePaule »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for that great link...
There sure are some very bright people in this forum.
Andy
Andy DePaule

Sad, Speedy West Guitar on cragislist?

Post by Andy DePaule »

Looks like the grandson has it in a pile of garage junk.
Not one of his famous guitars like that first Bigsby or the very early Fenders, But still you'd think it would fine a better home?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/3731192063.html

Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Doug , Nice lookin' Zum. :) Hope you're enjoying it.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

There are a number of search engines for searching all Craigslist cities. I use Search Tempest:

http://www.searchtempest.com/

It finds lots of things I don't want in the results, but it is easy to just scan titles looking for steel guitars. You can set it up to a certain mileage from any zip code, so determine how far you will drive to pick up a deal, then start searching!

Andy, there are bunches of S-10's and LDG's that pop up on Craig's list. As Lane Gray said recently, if it does not have at least 12 strings and 7 pedals, I'm not usually interested, so I don't click on those. Sometimes, though, it only says "Sho-Bud" or "Pedal Steel Guitar", so I run across some anyway.

Both that Super Pro, and the $800 MSA caught my attention, but I don't need another steel at the moment.

Tony, the Zum is a sweet guitar. I'm making steady progress on both tunings, and slowly beginning to find stuff that use both tunings. I'll send you an email in the next day or so.

Doug
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?