Hank Corwin

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I once met Hank down at Seymours Shop one Friday morning. Super nice guy and a pleasure to talk to. Prayers to his family,

Nick
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Hank was one of the first people I met when I moved to Nashville in 1969. He hooked me up with Ron Lashley,and helped me get my first Emmons guitar. Hank was a great person and one of the most knowledgable players ever. Hank, We'l all miss you. My dearest sympathy and condolences to his family.
Bob Hempker
Corky Tittle

Post by Corky Tittle »

This is maybe the hardest letter-post I've ever tried to write. Hank Corwin was the best friend I've ever had, back in our Nashville days he was my stabilizer, usually up until the time I left ('74) if you saw one, the other wasn't far away. Musically we were always on the same page,and he probably knew every big band song that was recorded. He was like an encyclopedia (sp)when it came to that. When we were working with Jim Ed Brown, I did a lot of the driving on our bus, and Hank would sit up with me all night "riding shotgun" and we would talk music, and if Jim Ed has grey hair we probably had something to do with it's existance.Hank knew my love of the steel guitar and how I always wanted to play one, and after the last show we played together for Bill Stafford he was upset about his playing, and the next day he said "Corky do you still want to learn how to play the steel?" And of course I told him I did, he said "I want yo to have my guitar" I saidhank you don't really mean that you're just upset 'cause you had a bad day" He said "no I can't do it anymore" anyway threst of the discussion is not important, but, I have that blue Rains and I WILL make him proud. He fought to the last moment to try and get better, but I think he just finally got tired and wanted to have peace. I love you Hank, and miss you, but when I pass on I hope I run into you and we can pick up where we left off. His wife Barbie has showed an inner strength the last four months or so that few people have and to me she is family and I will be there for her if she ever needs me to be. By the way just before he had his stroke he took delivery of a new Mullen and we were going to learn a couple songs to play twin on just wasn't meant to be I guess.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Corky, I do hope your feeling better after your own recent issues..
Hank Corwin

Hank Corwin

Post by Hank Corwin »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words about my husband, Hank Corwin. I was really touched by everyone's comments. He has more friends than either of us ever realized. I know that he's in a better place & out of pain, but that thought still doesn't make me miss him any less.

Bye for now, Hank. I miss you!

Barbie Corwin
Kurt Kowalski

Post by Kurt Kowalski »

Oh My,

I was just thinking of Hank this morning.

I will miss my times with Hank back stage at the Opry House....

I loved Hank, such a funny guy.

Hank is now playing steel in heaven with his old Pal from New York now (Jerry Johnson).

Rest well my friend and show 'em how it's done in heaven.

God Bless You Barbie!!!

Kurt
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

Hank Corwin was the first live steel player I ever saw. I was just a kid, and he was playing for the "Country Music U.S.A. Show at Opryland. I already liked the steel guitar, and when I saw him play, I knew I Just HAD to have one! I met him years later when I was in college and thanked him for inspiring me.
Fuzzy Plant

Post by Fuzzy Plant »

So long ole buddy. Back in 1954 I signed on with Hank and his dad. It was my first band gig. I played guitar and did vocals, PJ Babcock did drums, "rocket" Will Mosely did great lead guitar. Hank played a Fender 3 or 4 neck (can't remember which). We did gigs all around Orange and Ulster countys as well as other areas. Got to meet another great steeler there in the Newburgh, NY area, who was stationed at Stewart Airforce Base; Lee Holeman. The Hudson Valley in New York sure had lots of steel guitar in those days. I started playing steel around 1961. However, I never did jam with Hank on the steel like Lee did. I had hoped I would be able to visit him there in ole' Miss. Although he invited me several times, I never could work it out. My last visit with Hank was just before he moved from Tennessee. He and Barbie and Me and myh Shirley spent some wonderful time; not to be forgotten. The country music world is gonna really miss Hank. Awhie ago, in New York, I met with Buddy Charlton, and we discussed Hank. He said he felt that Hank was a steel guitar player's steeler. Whan a great complement from a super-star steeler.
Our prayers are with you Barbie. I know you'll surely miss him, but just think of all the wonderful times you had together, and that should help.
Fuzzy
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

My deepest sympathies and sincere prayers go out for Hank, Barbie and his family. I've known Hank for over 40 yrs. and have always thought so much of him as a person and a player. I remember Hank playing "All The Things You Are" while we did a sound check back in the mid 70s (he was with Jim Ed and I with Gene) and you'd have sworn he was playing C6... but he had just the E9th with 3 ped. & 3 levers. He knew his way around the horn better than most to say the least.

Go on now to a better place Brother Hank. You've left behind many fond memories and you'll be missed. God bless you.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Buddy Jennison

Hank Corwin

Post by Buddy Jennison »

Damn !!! Another old, old friend has checked out. A hellava nice guy, AND, dynamite steel picker !!! My friend for many, many years. Sorry, Barb. "Little" Buddy.
"Little" Buddy
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

I never know Hank, but saw he and Mike Smith play twin steels one night years ago in Nashville that was very cool...
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Gary Schlotterbeck

I remember Hank well.

Post by Gary Schlotterbeck »

I first met Hank back stage at the Opry when he was with Porter Wagoner. They shared the dressing room with Charlie Louvin, and Justin Tubb. Anyone who has been around Hank would remember his sometimes silly antics. Whenever some one would walk into the room that night I met him, he would recreate the horns from the film Patton on his steel. I thought Pete Mitchell was going to cry laughing. With that said, Hank was dead serious about his music. He will be missed.
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:I never actually met Hank, but I got to see him several times with Porter at the Opry when I used to get to Nashville a lot. He always looked like he was having such a good time playing.
Jerry Overstreet wrote:I used to get a charge out of watching Hank Corwin play on the TV GOO with Porter. Always had a big smile on his face and seemed to be really enjoying himself.

One night, Hank and Weldon played twin steels on an instrumental version of Making Believe. What a treat
I saw that performance of Making Believe and when they were through, they got a rousing ovation from the crowd. They stood to acknowledge the applause and Weldon looked down at Hank who was a bit shorter and said..."Stand Up !" Hank replied..."I am standing up !"

This one is going to hurt for a long, long time !

Regrets, Paul
Bill Stafford

Hank Corwin

Post by Bill Stafford »

These posts are really appreciated. Hank was the very best in this business. All of us at our Gulfport Steel Show were most honored that Hank graciously shared his talent with us with his last performance shortly before he passed away. Also thanks to Ronnie Miley for coming down from Nashville and Corky Tittle, for playing this set with Hank. Hank was a true giant in playing our beloved steel guitar. A few years earlier during one of our shows, Hank payed "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on his Raines S-10 ,3 pedal , 5 knee lever E9 steel guitar. Immediately after the song was over, Pee Wee Whitewing went on stage and asked Hank to shown him the tuning. Pee Wee was amazed that it was the basic E9 ten string tuning. Hank said that all chords are made up of their basic triad notes and you just have to know where they are and can play them properly. (Hank's playing this song was in the style that a player like Curly Chalker would play it on the C6 tuning). We were all duly impressed, especially me.
Russ, thanks for your posting to remind us of Hank Corwin. The group that Hank toured the Soviet Union with was The Tennessee Ernie Ford group and this was the first introduction of pedal steel to that audience. May he rest in peace.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I'd known of Hank for decades and watched him on TV shows, et al., but finally met him at ISGC, I guess about 2009. He and Neil Flanz were riffing about the old days in N'ville, and each of them were in rare comedic form. He was as good with the language as he was with the music. I appreciated that.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Skip Cole

Hank Corwin

Post by Skip Cole »

My prayers for peace and comfort go out to Mrs Corwin and Hanks's family and many friends. May God bless you all.

Skip