Who Plays Steel for Steve Earle

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I want to qualify my last post by saying that Chris Masterson sounds fine to me on this clip. I was referring more to the alt country genre in general than to Chris' playing.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Fred Glave wrote:At the end of the performance, David Letterman comes up on stage and tells the steel player to bring his "Thingy" (pointing to the steel) up to his house because (somebody) is coming over. I couldn't hear who's name he said.
I'm 99% sure he said Ryan Lochte was coming over (olympic swimmer, reality show guy). He was also a guest on the 4/22 show, which would be a pretty good clue 8)
Mullen G2 SD10, Nashville 112, 1975 Fender Stratocaster, 1970 Fender MusicMaster Bass, 1971 Univox 1221, DH Baldwin Piano
Michael Moore

Americana on the steel

Post by Michael Moore »

I came to the steel late (later 50's) after many years of playing banjo in bluegrass bands (insert Doug Baumier comment here:_______:)). I had never played an amplified instrument before, and never with drums. After a couple of years in the woodshed I ventured out and started playing steel in an Americana band, which has turned out to be an excellent way to get both feet wet playing steel with other people, on stage, in a relatively low-pressure fashion. I've been able to focus on developing fluidity in my moves, intonation and vibrato, playing in a variety of keys, and generally becoming comfortable being a contributing musician on the pedal steel. I liken it to the job of color commentator in the sports broadcasting business - creating textures and moments in the music that are distinctive and add to the overall quality of the music. It is certainly not as technically demanding as covering the steel parts in a more conventional country or swing band but like everything else musical, it can be done well or badly. For those who are new or new-ish to the steel, I highly recommend hooking up with an Americana outfit as a low-pressure way to develop your confidence, tone, intonation, and adaptability playing the steel with others.
Carter S-12, GFI S-12, Emmons S-12, Fender Deluxe 8 non-pedal, Scheerhorn Dobro. Plus banjos.
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Americana is really what drew me back to the instrument and made me want to learn it, but some of the comments here led me to think about it in a much more critical way than I had before.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a site full of musicians would tend to judge a lot of music on the technical skill of the players, but I hadn't really thought of Americana in those terms before. I just like the sound and feel of it. It speaks to me, whether it's full of great playing or not. To me, that's not what it's about.

For better or worse, I grew up in New York City and wasn't heavily exposed to a lot of the classic country that's popular with lots of the members here. When I was a teenager, I was big into a lot of what I call Asylum music, Linda Ronstadt, Eagles (the earlier stuff), Jackson Browne, Mike Nesmith, Flying Burrito Brothers, Neil Young, Stephen Stills and also things like Pure Prairie League, the New Riders and Commander Cody. I'm open to almost all kinds of music, though, and I respect other peoples' musical tastes. One of the benefits I've had from being on this site is learning more about a lot of great classic and traditional country. (I've discovered I have a liking for western swing, in particular):)

Anyway, I know better than to think I'm ever going to change anyone's mind about what they like or don't like, and I honestly hate arguing about music, because it's about as subjective as anything I can think of. But I'll stand by this type of music even if some people don't see it as anything more than a refuge for second-rate players. Every genre has those.
Mullen G2 SD10, Nashville 112, 1975 Fender Stratocaster, 1970 Fender MusicMaster Bass, 1971 Univox 1221, DH Baldwin Piano
Al Carey

Post by Al Carey »

I've played 6 string in bands for years, both covers and originals, from disco to country. Few if any would consider me a great player technically, but I know I can make music people enjoy. That's what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned.

The comments here about "amateurish", etc. are why the only time I feel self-conscious on stage is in front of other musicians. When I'm listening to music, I'm listening to what a musician contributes to the sound. I appreciate great talent, but it's secondary to the quality of music they're making.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of alt-country AND classic country.
Sierra U-12, MSA Classic D-10, Gretsch 6120, Fender Tele, Gibson LP Jr, old tube amps, etc...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

al..i am only critical of the entitled people who get the spots on tv. i figure, once you're there you need to have your act together or someone like me is going to say something.
Al Carey

Post by Al Carey »

But people don't get on tv because of how proficient they are on their instrument, it's because they play music people like. It's art, not sport!

Just my opinion. :)
Sierra U-12, MSA Classic D-10, Gretsch 6120, Fender Tele, Gibson LP Jr, old tube amps, etc...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

..well..'i' didn't like the music....yet they 'were' on tv!
:whoa: :D :roll: :eek: :roll: ;-) >:-) :alien:
Al Carey

Post by Al Carey »

chris ivey wrote:..well..'i' didn't like the music....yet they 'were' on tv!
:whoa: :D :roll: :eek: :roll: ;-) >:-) :alien:
D'oh! You got me there! :lol:
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

Really don't think any pedal steel player in an alt-country genre feels "entitled" at all. Most playing this obscure instrument (at which even the greatest to ever live sometimes struggled to make a living doing only this) I'd venture to say would be very grateful for the opportunity. Kind of a generality either way. I think this difference of opinion comes down to the kind of steel playing that flips your own unique switch.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

The drummer didn't get to shake Letterman's hand. What an insult!!

I'll stay silent as to the rest.
john widgren

envy

Post by john widgren »

Hey Chris Ivey,

He was there and you were not. Your Envy is obvious, and won't help you get there. Grow up and get over it.
Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

"Entitled"?!? What in the world are you talking about?
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

And Emmylou has "the potential to be great"??? Emmylou HARRIS??? She has only won 12 Grammys after all, what an underachiever! But hey, if Chris thinks she's got some potential... you never know! She might turn around and do something worthwhile eventually...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

thank you....thank you very much...
you don't get this kind of entertainment for free very often. perhaps i should have my agent start charging more...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

...and alex, don't take me out of context. i know how great emmylou has been. that was my point. why was she so below par on that particular performance..rodney too. it disappointed me because i was anticipating watching a great performance...but it wasn't.