Shobud Professional D-10 - should I buy?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Ladd

Shobud Professional D-10 - should I buy?

Post by Bill Ladd »

Buddy of mine has access to an old rack n' barrel Shobud professional.

I sat and played it a while today. Awesome tone, but she's pretty damn worn out.

8&4, although two levers are later additions - and a fairly amateur job of it, too. The E lower is on the right side and it's Day setup (I'm used to Emmons). Couple racks look like they've come apart in places. Seems as though a few changes might be missing, at least for the modern copedant to which I'm accustomed.

I was able to get open tuning set and a few of the endplate changes set up. The boo-wha lower on the 10th string - C6 neck would not adjust with the allen wrench, just kept turning with nothing happening. Didn't mess with any of the barrels.

Finish is faded and there's a crack behind the C6 changer. Aluminum seems okay and should polish up, legs have scratches commensurate with a road-worn guitar.

No case.

What should I offer for this thing? I can fix it (I can just about fix anything), but will it be worth the effort in the end?

What say you good folks?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Not sure what to offer, but if the parts are mostly in good shape, it might be worth the rebuild if you can get it cheap enough. You would have a killer axe.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

man, that sounds exactly like the old SB i had - i happily sold it for $500. they do sound good though.
i've seen some of your work, so i dont see it as anything you cant handle.
buy wisely.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Sounds like a rebuild. Sho-bud fingers wear out as well. $500-$1000.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

On the plus side, people are making parts.
As to whether it's worth it, I couldn't tell you. I tend to hold the opinion that only people who wanna play 'em should buy 'em.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Jerome - Thanks for that. You remind me of my Wright rebuild thread and the fact that I already have two vintage guitars languishing on my bench right now!!

Think I'll let this 'un pass.

If anyone's interested, it's at a pawnshop here in town where my friend works. I think they're looking for at least $800 and plan to list it on ebay.
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Sounds like a lot of work Bill. That might be real smart thinking. Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

sounds like an ok deal for someone, though. but you'll need a case. how do these old cases disappear?
Chuck Roach

Post by Chuck Roach »

I have had a Sho Bud professional for quite some time and I have been told it has one of the sweetest tones of all the Sho Buds. If you need parts James Moorhead can probably help you out.