Weighted Ernie Ball Bar

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Meditz

Weighted Ernie Ball Bar

Post by Joseph Meditz »

The little Ernie Ball logo disk at the bottom of the bar fell off making the end uncomfortable. Since it revealed a hole about 1 1/2" deep I decided to fill it with a 1/4-20 SS bolt. The bolt head was ground down, polished and set with Brownell's red epoxy. The epoxy covered the bolt head and formed a smooth, shiny cabochon.

The bar now weighs 8.30 oz which makes it about as dense as a BJS. It is now very comfortable to use, and I could not hear any difference in tone compared to the BJS.
Donny Hinson

Re: Weighted Ernie Ball Bar

Post by Donny Hinson »

Joseph Meditz wrote: The bar now weighs 8.30 oz which makes it about as dense as a BJS. It is now very comfortable to use, and I could not hear any difference in tone compared to the BJS.
Now you've gone and done it! :lol:

I can just hear the collective fussin', fumin', and stutterin' echoing across the land.
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

As a 3/8 French-Canadian mongrel, I'd like to congratulate you on your use of 'cabochon'. It's a word I'd not heard of before, and at first I suspected that you had misspelled it. But I looked it up, and I was wrong.

Nice bar!
Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Joseph Meditz

Post by Joseph Meditz »

The bottom of my BJS bar is covered with a sticker. I don't like the way that sticker looks or feels. So I removed it, filled the hole with a SS screw which added 0.1 oz, and then epoxied it with Brownells mixed with black dye.