How do you beef up your tone

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nathan Powell

How do you beef up your tone

Post by Nathan Powell »

Just wondering what other members use to beef up their tone (pre-amps, pedals, etc).

I play through a Nashville 120 and don't use anything other than a goodrich volume pedal. Looking for some basic ideas.

Y'all are the best!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't use anything to "beef up" the tone in my Franklin, just the EQ on my amp. I have a Hilton volume pedal so there is no tone "suck" (what Hilton calls it) from the volume pedal. I have a POD X3 that I use for delay and reverb but no amp sim so except for delay and reverb it doesn't change the guitar's tone.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tonu Timm

Post by Tonu Timm »

Steel Guitar Black Box
GFI Ultra SD-10, BearCreek Weissenborn, Hermann Baritone Weiss, National Polychrome Tricone, Fender Champ Lapsteel, Quiter Micropro Mach 2 HD, Nashville 112, Zirconia bars, Bob Perry picks...
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Steel guitar black Box and pick the strings like you mean it.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

More bass and mids. I've also gotten way beefier tone with my Stereo Steel rig, especially helps on the low end of my 12-string E9 neck.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

This is a non issue for tube amp owners
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

I try to get plenty of rest.
If that does not work, turn up the bass. :oops:
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

nathan...if you don't use a delay, get one. just a simple digital delay (or analog) will give you a huge beautiful expansion of your steel tone.
you can keep the effect light or dial in a fair amount.
it's kind of like the difference of music coming through a tiny radio speaker to that of a quality stereo system with expensive speakers.
i couldn't enjoy playing regularly without one.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I use a digital reverb set on Hall or Plate to fatten up the sound a ibt. For even more sustain and depth and sound distribution I'll run a stereo delay into two amps. In my experience, tube amps in general and certain models of transistor amps will have a much fatter sound!

Greg
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Try instead of cutting the upper mids, boosting the lower mids, like 6 dB with the shift around 9 or 10 o'clock
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Leland Ogle

Post by Leland Ogle »

Good left and right hand tech. and lots of practice.
Lee
Edward Byrne

Post by Edward Byrne »

y'know what Nathan? lots of different answers there, and each and every one of them were right !
There are no strangers, only friends you have yet to meet
Quentin Hickey

Re: How do you beef up your tone

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Nathan Powell wrote:Just wondering what other members use to beef up their tone (pre-amps, pedals, etc).

I play through a Nashville 120 and don't use anything other than a goodrich volume pedal. Looking for some basic ideas.

Y'all are the best!
I play through 2 Nashville 112's (both modded with the OPA 2134PA texas insturnment IC audio chips), with a BOSS RV5 stereo peverb pedal, I use Goodrich and hilton pedals, JF finger picks, zerco thumb picks and BJS bars. t
That makes up about 50 percent, the other 50 is from technique.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I use the Black Box and Peavey Pro-Fex. On my EMCI. The guitar on the E-9 neck has got a 20k pickup on it. It is a tone beast. The Pro-Fex has EQ settings on it, so I don't have to adjust the settings on my Stereo Steel combo amp head. The only controls I have to adjust on the amp head, is the master, effects, and speaker volume. The Pro-Fex does the rest. And I have true stereo, something I did not have on my Quadraverb.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL
Nathan Powell

Post by Nathan Powell »

Thanks everyone! Lots of great recommendations.

I think I try messing with the EQ on the amp, like some folks suggested first, so I don't spend any money :lol:

Thanks again!
john widgren

Beef it up

Post by john widgren »

Steel Guitar Services:
Live performance and recording. Instruments, repairs and lessons. Fresh bait/discount sushi.
(203) 858-8498
widcj@hotmail.com
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

You didn't mention what brand/model Steel you are using or what brand/model pickup you are using.
It's probably not your steel as much as the pickup...
Is it internally shorted and only giving half of normal output?
Is really treble-ee for some reason?
It might be microphonic.
What is your pickup height?... (raising it up will likely beef up your tone, but getting it too high can reduce string vibration).
Does it have multiple positions? (single-coil, Humbucker).
Are the pole pieces adjustable?
Maybe you can buy or borrow a known "Beefy" pickup and try it in your steel?
fwiw, I have a Sho-Bud Pro-1 S10 and the pickup is so treble-ee it could never be mistaken for Beefy.
I believe it is internally shorted and I need to replace it, but haven't yet. One of these days!
One other thing you can do to beef up your tone is use heavier gauge strings... try a .012 for your high G#, .015 for String-4-E, and .018 for string-5-B. Are you using a wound 6th?
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

too much info. too many questions. it seems nathan may be coming from a more rudimentary position. he's smart enough now to experiment with his amp settings for free! bravo on that , nathan.
i still suggest...borrow a delay pedal from a friend for a day and hear the difference. good luck.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

chris ivey wrote:too much info.
Too much coffee.
:oops:
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

I am not a big fan of delay pedals. IMO they rob natural overtones but go ahead and try out as much as you can and with time will come experience and you will be making youre own decisions of what youre ears like. You'll get as many opinions here as wood chips in a saw mill. All good info though! Everyone is different. I think you have all you need to get a fat tone. If youre amp is off the floor try putting it on the floor you will find that it makes a big difference.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Nathan - What Quentin just said.
And I am being serious about getting lots of rest.
When well rested, your head, hands, and heart just work better. Your hands "hear" whats going on and you will attack the strings like you mean it. You can always buy more gadgets. I love delay. It will fatten up the sound. But you gotta play it right first, like you mean it! :D
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Unless he has acquired another guitar, it's sn MSA Classic with an E-66.
Nathan, try this procedure in the 2nd post.
You want the bass just below boomy,
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=223731
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Nathan Powell

Post by Nathan Powell »

Lane Gray wrote:Unless he has acquired another guitar, it's sn MSA Classic with an E-66.
Nathan, try this procedure in the 2nd post.
You want the bass just below boomy,
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=223731
You're right, Lane :D

I'll give that a shot. I feel like I'm giving the strings good, strong attack, but y'all have given me PLETNY to investigate. Thanks!