Peterson SroboPLUS HD, there will be no more TUNING threads?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Hartley

Peterson SroboPLUS HD, there will be no more TUNING threads?

Post by David Hartley »

I can't rate this unit enough.

It's so good, if you're out of tune after using this, it's YOU!

Love it..... :eek:
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Straight to the point! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it. Thanks, Dave.
Best regards,
Mike
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

Got mine today :)
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

Got mine today :)
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Wow! Dag thinks they are so great that he got 2 of them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

Hehe. I used the back button on my iPad and that double the post.
Btw I have two StoboFlip ;)
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I got one. Very stable display compared to others.

I did program my own as I have some knee lever changes that the Newman charts never included. But its the Newman ref to 442.5Hz.

I also have one of the Sonic Research ST122a's that I gave to my wife (she is learning pedal steel on a GFI Expo S-10).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

These units seem to be on serious backorder. Contacted forum member Gary Sill and was told sometime around May, 'Sweetwater' stated May or June. Odd thing was, the two main online music suppliers, Musician's Friend and American Musical Supply never offered these and normally they are among the first to stock most new products. Elderly Instruments has them in stock however, just ordered one today.
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

I ordered mine from Thomanns in Germany. For us Europeans it is about the same price as ordering from the US because og the high shipping from the US. 25% tax in Norway but Thomanns took off the EC/German Vat (about 17%?).
Still around $200.
Johnny Howington

Peterson HD Tuner

Post by Johnny Howington »

David,
I ordered mine this week from Steel Guitar Nashville from Bobby Seymore! :D It is a great tuner!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Its available at Elderly Instruments (with free shipping).

Where I got mine.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/SPLUSHD.htm
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Got mine from one of the nicest guys and best resources we steeler's have in our community. Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitar of North County. Thanks Jimbo!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Got mine from one of the nicest guys and best resources we steeler's have in our community. Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitar of North County. Thanks Jimbo!
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

Curious - what is the difference between this new unit and the VS series and "flip-top"?
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Larger, very stable display, rechargeable via USB cable to PC or 5V USB/AC charger.

Programmable via computer, rather than manual programming for custom tunings.

More than one note allowed in this model, not in the others. e.g. you can have one setting for "A2" and a different setting for "A3" and a different for "A4". In the older tuners you could only have one setting for "A", one for "B", one for "C", etc.
Alan Murphy

Post by Alan Murphy »

I have a problem using the HD tuner I am using ONE preset and trying to enter a custom tuning using the Peterson website, where you don't need to touch the tuner when you have three offsets for the SAME note.

As an example if I setup three D# notes as follows:

D# -1.5 D#L
D#4 0.0 D#
D# +0.5 D#P

Where L and P are possible names for lever and pedal, and all notes are octave 4.

Here is what I get if I download this to the tuner:

Using one D# string :

Much lower than D# - No detection (OK)
A little below D# - D#L and Fast anticlockwise (OK)
Close to D# - D#L and D#P unstable(PROBLEM)
Much above D# - D#P and clockwise (OK)

It looks like the tuner is trying to lock into D#L and D#P at the same time which makes the display unstable. Also at no time did D#4 appear between D#L and D#P !!.

I have been talking to Peterson technical trying to sort this out, but no joy yet.

Has anyone else tried this out?
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

In the (display preferences) select "Only notes specified" instead of "All chromatic notes"
Then all notes must be named and added.
This is addressed in the video with the 4 F#s although it was not clear to me at first and you may need to watch it a few times.
It may be easier to to make separate tunings for open and another for pedals.
Sort of like the tunings EM9 and EP9... P stands for Pedals and levers.
And EM6 and EP6
Better yet try these preset tunings.
If you want your Es at Zero A 440 use 0E9 and 0P9.
Petrson walked me through the "Only notes specified" and they were a great help.
After racking my brain to make my own custom tuning I found a way to make the stock ones work.
If you emailed them they may work M-F.
Chris Labriola helped me and was very nice.
This new tuner is nice and I like it!
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Alan Murphy

Post by Alan Murphy »

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for the reply, I am using the 'Only notes specified' option, and am fully naming the notes including octave 4 and the offset.

If I want to be sure of exactly what my tuning is then I would like to have full control over entering my own tuning offsets and custom tweak them for my guitar.

The inbuilt U12 tuning does not make any difference between D# open, D# lever, and D# pedal, So it does not faithfully reproduce Jeff's Universal tuning.

I think the tuner is meant to pick out the three D#'s but either I am doing something wrong, or this feature is not working correctly in the tuner.

I agree it would be possible to make three presets where you tune strings open, then pedals, then levers all with different presets, but it would be nice to be able to tune the complete guitar hands free as I think was the intended aim, jumping between three presets when tuning would not be ideal.

My problem with the stock tuning's are that you cannot see what the offsets are as they are 'propriatry' also they can never be tweaked for a particular guitar.

I also generally like the tuner, it's great value for money, and a very stable big display.

I have recently emailed Chris, he is currently looking at this problem, he did suggest something but it hasn't helped yet, he seems a good guy, hopefully he can sort it.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Now the threads will be about 'Keeping it in tune'! :D :D :roll:
A.K.A Chappy.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

My E9th program, which is the Newman settings at 442.5Hz plus a couple of knee lever changes that the Newman chart does have.

The E9th program has everything except the 4th string E to F# raise. That had to be in a separate program since I already had an F#4 (the 1st string) with a different offset.

Edit/Added: Might as well post my C6th and the "Xtra" programs, too.

J Hollenberg

Post by J Hollenberg »

Got mine two days ago.
In comparison with the Stroboflip which i also have i like the big screen the most.I've got mine from Thomann in Germany. Delivery in two days, fantastic.
For us Europeans it is much easier to make the order in Europe.It avoids expensive freight costs and taxes.
Sjaak Hollenberg
Emmons Lashley LeGrande SD10 from 1993
Keith Howard

Post by Keith Howard »

David Hartley,
I just ordered a new Peterson Tuner per your suggestion (using a Peterson Strobo Flip now).

I agree! No more threads on how to tune a steel guitar. I propose that you come to my house and show me how to use the new tuner. While your here, you could teach me some really cool licks. This way, we'll keep it off the forum. I like your idea... And LOVE your playing.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Except for the fact that nobody can agree on how flat to tune the thirds, or whether to tune them flat at all
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

:lol: :lol: No more tuning threads :?: Right, don't hold your breath :!: That wouldn't happen even if everyone here bought one of these, which they wont', or had the same guitar tuning issues, which they don't.