Using other instruments to find melodies

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Myrland

Using other instruments to find melodies

Post by Rick Myrland »

I sometimes--much of the time--struggle to find the melody on a steel and I'm wondering if I might be better off if I downloaded a (partial) keyboard app on my iPad to make it easier. Does anyone else use another instrument to figure out the melody because it's easier than on the steel?

(I should mention, I am not a piano/keyboard player, but I can find the Middle C so I think from there I can figure out the melody)
Last edited by Rick Myrland on 11 Apr 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mullen G2; Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb; Goodrich L-120
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

I've composed a couple of tunes on regular 6 string guitar that I later turned into PSG instrumentals. I really didn't set out to do that. I've been playing regular guitar longer and often will just noodle and a noodle turns into a tune. I've figured out many more melodies using the PSG, however.
You keep at it long enough and it will come.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Yes, I do it all the time. Read the sheet music and play the melody on the piano. Easier for me to find some things that way. I'm using it right now trying to work out Lenny Breau's Bourée

The download should work fine for you or you can buy a little cheap 49 key unit.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Yes I do, Rick. I find a keyboard very helpful when I'm trying to figure out a chord chart - seems to be a lot easier to start with a basic chord on a keyboard and then add/subtract notes (minor, 6ths, 7ths etc). Then I'll go back to the steel and see how it lays out...
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Since I'm a pro pianist, in addition to a steeler, I do a lot of tune figuring out on the piano. I also have written and learned chord progressions for songs on standard guitar. I'm not sure that a piano app will give you the range required for many songs, since most apps are limited to one octave. - Jack
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
b0b

Post by b0b »

If I'm sitting at my computer, it's easier to grab the uke than anything else. If I have the tune on CD, iPod or in the cloud, I'll figure it out on pedal steel.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

My melody machine is the accordion. That's right I said accordion.
Joseph Meditz

Post by Joseph Meditz »

Rick Myrland wrote:I ...struggle to find the melody on a steel
Not knowing the intervals in open positions or with pedals/levers engaged is the reason for the struggle. Learning that simply takes a lot of seat time. This instrument is played primarily by ear, and that's both the fun and the challenge of it.

If you can sing the melody you can play it, perhaps only on one string at first. Lousy singers like me are uncomfortable singing, but it is of utmost importance.

Lastly, when you work the melody out with pedals and other strings keep those chromatic strings in mind. They are eminently useful. Using chromatic strings you'll find that a lot of melodies will just fall under your hand.