Jimmy Day's Autograph on Web Amp.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Thom Darrow

Jimmy Day's Autograph on Web Amp.

Post by Thom Darrow »

Six to seven years ago I bought a brand new old stock Webb amp from Tom Bradshaw just after he bought the Webb factory from Jim Webb's estate. I kept it in a box as an investment. I took it out of its box yesterday for the first time to clean any lint off the amp. As I was cleaning the Webb amp I was looking from the back and on the left side wall I spotted a hand written note in ball point pin. I contacted Tom Bradshaw about the note signed by Jimmy Day. Tom said he has no idea on why its there. I would like to know if its real because that would make this Webb amp a one of a kind. Anyone on the Forum have any autographs of Jimmy Day to compare it with.

Last edited by Thom Darrow on 30 May 2013 6:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

I have an old picture of Jimmy somewhere behind a Sho-Bud that has "Jimmy Day" on the front,,,,the "D" looks the same. Bear in mind that if Jimmy was reaching inside the amp it may have been kind of an awkward position to write.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

That looks like the real deal, Thom. I had a copy of Jimmy's "Steel and Strings" CD and had him sign it for me at a show in Hammond LA about 20(?) years ago. I don't have a digital camera but i can either mail you a photocopy of the CD cover or text you a photo from my phone. You can send me info thru a pm if you're interested
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

How you say... "AWESOME!"....

I've seen advertisements in various old PSG magazines of Jimmy Day standing with and promoting the Webb amplifier.
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Ron Brown

Post by Ron Brown »

Thom
Jimmy signed a hat for me some years ago at the Dallas show and that is definitely his autograph. The "D" in Day is the giveaway.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The "To Jimmy Webb" autograph seems a little odd or confusing? As best I can deduce, this might be an amp that Jimmy Day brorrowed from Jimmy Webb for some purpose (maybe recording an album?) and then Jimmy Day autographed it upon returning it...as a way of saying "Thanks".

The signature does appear authentic, though.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

It looks like Jimmy's signature. I have it top middle on my E-Harp.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

That is really cool! What a pleasant surprise to find that there after all this time.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jimmy was a friend of mine and that is definitely his autograph. Congrats!
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Although my signature practice board is not at the house, from my memory, that looks like Jimmy Day's signature.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Thom Darrow

Post by Thom Darrow »

I myself have never seen a Webb amp covered with red carpet material. At Tom Bradshaw's warehouse there must have been at least twenty empty Webb amp cabinets covered in several different colors of vinyl. This one stood out. As I see it Jimmy Day could have been on the West coast playing a gig,and stopped by to visit Jimmy Webb's factory. And saw this one of a kind Webb amp maybe trying it out and before leaving signed it for Jim Webb. Will never know what really took place unless whom ever was with Jimmy Day would please come forward and give us Forum members the real scoop.
David Zornes

Post by David Zornes »

I think the price of your amp just doubled!
Thom Darrow

Post by Thom Darrow »

David, you know that idea did cross my mind.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

David Zornes wrote:I think the price of your amp just doubled!
The "asking price" just doubled. ;) The "gettin' price" has yet to be determined. :lol:

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
David Zornes

Post by David Zornes »

True Herb! ;-)
Thom Darrow

Post by Thom Darrow »

I want to thank all Forum members for there help. I guess I can safely say that Jimmy Day's autograph is real.I will put the Webb amp back into it's box.
Last edited by Thom Darrow on 16 Apr 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Moulton

Post by Joe Moulton »

JIMMY WAS A FRIEND OF MINE SURE LOOKS LIKE HIS SIG. TO ME ,I THINK THAY ARE MORE HALL OF FAME PLAYERS FROM ALABAMA THAN ANY OTHER STATE
BASS PLAYER, LOVE A RAY PRICE SONG
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

Jimmy must have really liked Webb amps!! :wink: Here's my burgundy 6-14E. Does anyone know anything about Freddy ____? Powers maybe?
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Freddy Powers is a great Austin TX singer/songwriter, best known for traveling with Haggard in his primo years and writing songs like "Chase Each Other Round the Room," "I always Get Lucky With You," "Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star," "A Place To Fall Apart," and other great tunes.

Willie cut a buttload of FP's songs. He's a legend here in Central TX, and sadly is not in the best of health, due to Parkinson's Disease. He's in his mid-late 70's, for sure.

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

freddie used to show up here in sac and lake tahoe a lot. sometimes with merle and sometimes with the gifted yet strange and weird clint strong on guitar.
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

Ahhh. Thanks guys. Heavy cat. I'd like to know the backstory on this amp.
Thom Darrow

Post by Thom Darrow »

BUMP
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

investments are nice, i guess, but how does it sound? someone would be better off playing through it.