Bob Snelgrove

Paul Franklin Interview

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Just in case it hasn't been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Als1n_BfW1U

bob
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

this is good. i think we lose a slight connection over time with paul (those of us who don't know him personally) due to hia massive busy career and success. his accomplishments and talent are intimidating and i suppose jealousy can cloud the whole truth also.
this reminds me how normal, soft-spoken and intelligent he is...and friendly. i talked to him long ago at a mel tillis concert and not knowing me from adam, he was very gracious, friendly and helpful...as well as good-natured.
more power to you, paul!
Stephan Franck

Post by Stephan Franck »

Thank you for posting this amazing video. I find it inspiring on many levels.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

wow really enjoyed that,, Paul is one of the top players in history, and his resume' is without equal ...
I was familiar with most of the clips, however I had never seen that one of his solo on Together Again..
I almost fell out of my chair.. the perfect blend of "out there" and traditional crying honky tonk steel.. Simply brilliant. Paul seems like a wonderful fellow as well... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Billy Carr
Restricted

Pf

Post by Billy Carr »

Excellent interview. I've bought many CD's, simply because he was listed as the steelman. He's made his spot in steel guitar history and still has a long ways to go. Thank goodness.
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Paul Franklin is not only a top notch, world class pedal steel player, but he's a very nice man. He often posts here on SGF with helpful info and advice. I saw him at the Station Inn with the Time Jumpers and had the good fortune of talking briefly with him. He made me feel like I was talking to a good freind. Great YouTube spot.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Jim Park

Re: Paul Franklin

Post by Jim Park »

I agree that was a cool interview. I have talked to Paul on several occasions and received the same warm treatment. The first time I met him was at Lake Tahoe for a shoot of the TNN series Dancin USA back in the early 80's. He was really excited about the new Franklin he was playing and had me sit and play the guitar and kept showing me levers and pedals that had 3 and 4 pulls on them and they were butter smooth and effortless. What a wonderful gift we have with Paul participating here on the Forum, and also his family that accompanies him to Steel shows!!! THANK YOU Franklins!!!!AND Galbreaths!!!
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Bob, Thank You for sharing this. This is the greatest hobby ever, Pauls father is a genius
and The apple of his eye will lead us into a great arena of music, Thats my belief,
Paul, Thank you for being a great leader, Not that you need more work , but I think Ranger or Tracker Boat Company
should borrow you a boat of your choice and a guide anytime you need to go fishing, Don`t buy one, if you need one you can borrow mine anytime you want, Its a pro model. :D

Watching this video was So worth missing my dinner tonite, especially after 40 days of lent,

God Bless
By the way Eldon Mitchell (Mitch) From Battle Creek, from The old JCH factory says Hello

Craig
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Anne Giroux

Post by Anne Giroux »

Thanks so much for posting an absolutely enjoyable interview with Paul. He is such an enormous talent and great person. Sorry I didn't get to see him in Maine.
Anne
Randy Pettit

Post by Randy Pettit »

Two main things I took away from this wonderful interview, apart from Paul's obvious talent, passion, drive, ambition, etc...

1. His humility - he seemed a little nervous and fidgety when answering questions about his own accomplishments, but then relaxed and lit up when recounting stories and giving credit to all those who gave him opportunities and stretched him musically over the years. Pure class.

2. The love and support of his family and the sacrifices of Paul Sr., illustrate the importance of family in an individual's ultimate success. No pushiness, just continued encouragement and sacrificial investment of time to let a young kid's desires and obvious talent flourish.
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Absolutely awesome! I don't believe you can find a more humble and gracious artist. Pure CLASS!!
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Great interview all the way around! I found it extremely interesting about how the Franklin formica covered guitar came about. Sho~Bud may have given Emmons Guitar Co. a little stiffer competition in the 70's had they accepted and put into production Paul Sr.'s design. Paul Jr.'s playing ability along with Paul Sr.'s design more than removed any doubt that the guitar played and recorded good. I've also always admired the core values of the Franklin family.
Walter Berg

Post by Walter Berg »

Outstanding! Tears of joy begin about half way through "Together Again" ....
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Great stuff. I was surprised when he mentioned playing with Rem Wall. My late cousin, Billy Vann used to play for Rem Wall. I didn't know Billy was a steel player until the 70's when my dad told me. I finally wanted to make contact with him and learned he had passed away. I should learn not to procrastinate so much.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Peggy Green

Post by Peggy Green »

I find this all very fabulous. The Franklins are modest folks. So absolutely wonderful to hear so many highlights.

As for the foot on the volume pedal shaking story Paul told --- I had such an experience though of course it wasn't on the Grande Ole Opry, so it struck a "chord" with me.
Worn out cords, worn out amps, worn out guitar wiring...worn out most everything
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I couldn’t believe that’s Paul Franklin. The Paul Franklin I remember was young.

I look back now and remember what played itself out many times when I was in my forties.

I see a man in his thirties playing steel guitar and I see me trying to play like him.
I would give up and quit everyday listening to how I played compared to his playing but then I’d try again the next day.

Finally it struck me that there is not ever going to be anyone else in the world who is ever going to measure up and that gave me some consolation, but just enough to keep playing.

Maybe I’m just being a sentimental old fool remembering way back before the whole world went crazy
John H. McGlothlin

Post by John H. McGlothlin »

I had no idea that Paul was playing pedal steel so early in his life, the first time I ever heard of Paul Franklin was about 1977 and his work on the C6 tuning was fabulous and now he has become the absolute worlds greatest pedal steel guitarist and he has certainly earned that title. I would just like to be a small fraction as good as he is.
Marlen SD 10 3 and 5,Fender 5 String Banjo, Flinthill 5 string banjo,Johnson Resonator Guitar, Ibanez AFS75T Country/Jazz Guitar.