Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

CrowBear Schmitt

Buck Reid Interview

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

the latest Mel Bay Interview
this time, it's Buck............................Reid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5QWCl4PSyo
Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 2 Apr 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Curtis

Buck Reid

Post by Charles Curtis »

I just have been enjoying the heck out of this interview and the musical breaks that Buck does during the interview. And God help me, my weakness for beautiful ladies with black hair and brown eyes, oh well. I remember when Lyle was playing here in Virginia, awhile back and me and my lovely wife were quite early. I didn't see Buck's psg on stage and I became worried and went to the stage entrance and requested to see Buck. Of course, Buck being the great and nice guy that he is, came out and assured me that he hadn't put it on stage yet. I always enjoy Lyle and the band and especially Buck, IMO, there's none better. Thanks again Buck.
Shorty Rogers

Post by Shorty Rogers »

Kudos to Buck and especially to producer Rob Haines. I always enjoy it when steel players shoot other steel players. :wink: :wink:
kevin ryan

Post by kevin ryan »

What a talent...! I think I met Buck years ago when we opened for John Anderson in San Marcos Ca at Leos Little bit of country night club. We sure looked younger back then...maybe 85-87 ish.. Super player then and now.
Anders Lindby

Post by Anders Lindby »

Yes...thanks Crowbear for the link.
And to Buck if you read this, congratulations on a perfect interview and for being one of the foremost inspiring steelplayers for me.
Anders.
GFI Ultra...Nashville 112...Twin Reverb...Stratocasters.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Doesn't that illustrate just what a credit to his calling he is? That was terrific, Buck - thank you!

(I'm intrigued - where IS that room? It's where Doug J was interviewed, too...)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Shorty Rogers

Post by Shorty Rogers »

Just guessing here, but Rob Haines, the producer, is a pedal steeler and forum member who in lives Nashville. Most likely, his studio.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

You have just watched a video of one of the most humble steel players ever.

I have the pleasure of calling Buck a friend and was fortunate to be able to introduce him not once, but twice at the Dallas Show.

Great tribute to Buck

Bill
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

Right Shorty, I don't get on the forum too often, but I produce these for MB and the interview gal is my daughter. Buck is an awesome player. I need to do more steel players. So far I've done Doug Jernigan, Mike Johnson, Chris Scruggs, Steve Sturm, and oh yeah, myself :) I've had a few turn me down but I won't mention any names.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

What an humble man Buck is. And his playing is tremendous too.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

The quiet man playing some blazing pieces here. Buck is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet. His album - A Work In Progress - is just about the finest steel album I have heard, and I own many, many recordings from the 40's to present day. I have watched him play at very close quarters, and still couldn't get my head around what he was doing. His bar hand is incredible, and he can do hammer ons and pull offs like no-one else can. The accuracy is something to behold too. Maybe it's because he is left handed.

Buck just blew the roof off of the Sherraton Hotel when he played at the Dallas Show this year. He was inspirational and breathtaking in his improvisation. The man is just so modest for a player of his ability, and is a complete gentleman.
Last edited by Ken Byng on 3 Apr 2013 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I wonder who he might know in Southampton? :)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Rob, I love this interview; one of the best yet, IMO. And has your daughter thought about doing television? I think that I'm a pretty good judge of talent; great personality, IMO. Buck, I remember our friend Jimmy Crawford well. I had a guitar on order when he passed away and I sure miss Jimmy today. I even tried to get Jimmy to quit smoking by telling him how I kicked the habit, and he was kind enough to listen to me, but, oh well. Thanks again Rob for this interview with Buck Reid who, IMO, makes a lot of people happy. And I guess that's what most musicians want to do.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Roger Rettig wrote:I wonder who he might know in Southampton? :)
:lol:

As you know Roger, Buck is a sweet person. That was really nice of him to give us guys from Europe and the Commonwealth a mention. My ambition is to put some steel shows on in the UK at some small theatres with 3 or 4 top line US players and backing musicians, and Buck and Mike Johnston would be top of the list to invite over.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Michael Remming

Post by Michael Remming »

Crowbear, Thanks for the link....... What an awesome person Buck is!!!!! Seriously how can he play that fast and accurate????
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

WOW! Buck is fabulous! If anyone didnt hear his new CD I suggest you go to his website and order youre copy and show youre support.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Yes, as has already been said, fabulous player and person.
IMHO, Buck is one of the best ever to play the instrument.
Bravo!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I'm sure Buck will appreciate that coming from you Tommy. Praise indeed.
Don Drummer

the right hand man

Post by Don Drummer »

Nice close ups of his right hand technique. I'm impressed at his equal distribution of all three digits.

Nice close ups of his right hand. A very equal distribution of the use of all three digits. That clip of speed picking; Yeesh!

Nice close up
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments... the interview was indeed at Rob's studio and we had a good time putting it together. To the great Tommy White... thank you! I'm only trying to keep up with you my friend.
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

Officially went up on the Mel Bay site today. http://www.melbay.com/ Thanks again to everyone for their kind words!
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

I put two more clips of buck on YouTube. There are full tunes that I cut/edited for in the interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_a6s2HyyiI
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLqrPH4C2RM
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Thanks Rob - just wonderful. A genius in action. :)
Randy Gilliam

Jch

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Just sent My Black D10 JCH For Buck to Change it to Emmons Setup and Check it over, Cant Wait to Get it Back . Thanks Buck Reid for helping me! Randy G. :D
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

Thank you CB for the link, and thank you Buck for the lesson and the incredible playing! That is a sweet counterpoint and I'm wearing the replay button out watching the speed picking and C6. Thanks for the extra clips Rob.