Kemper Profiling Amplifier

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Martin Johannesson

Post by Martin Johannesson »

Is anybody using the "new" amazing profiling amplifier from Kemper for steel yet!? In that case how does it sound and has anybody made any profiles for steel amps like the Peavey's, Evans etc ?

http://kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang ... fined.html
Mark Greer

Post by Mark Greer »

I was actually just in a studio tonight that had one of these units. We "profiled" the guitar players "3rd power British Dream" amp (http://www.3rdpower.com/product_BD_head_version.htm). The process was amazing and the sound it captured was spot on. A really cool machine!
Martin Johannesson

Post by Martin Johannesson »

Cool! Yes, Amazing is THE word! I will definitely get one in the near future! Just discovered that Kemper will soon release a rack version of this unit as well! Can't wait to hear some samples from profiling a "real" steel amp!
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

How is the latency re: a good analog amp?
Scott Appleton

unreal

Post by Scott Appleton »

Looks like a must for all players .. end game for the multi amp user ..
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Looks kinda like Aura... for amps. You don't even have to play... just plug it in and it screeches the system and develops a profile. You can give it hints about Vintage, Clean, etc... I'm intrigued. I'll try one next chance I get (TSGA Jamboree? Arlington/Dallas Guitar Show? NAMM I wish!).
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Those two knob Little Walters are starting to look a little better....
Duke LeJeune

Post by Duke LeJeune »

My understanding is that the electric guitar guys who are using the Kemper (and/or other modelling preamps) are gravitating towards "full range flat response" (FRFR) speakers. This is because all of the tone coloring they want is provided by the Kemper, and so amplifying that signal through a cab that already has its own baked-in tone is counter-productive.
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

That makes sense. Full range cabs and direct feed to PA and you`re essentially hearing what goes out. And the same settings work for direct recording too.
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Arthur James

Post by Arthur James »

Yes Martin I have been using the Kemper since September 2012. I think that it is really great for Pedal Steel Guitar
Carter Single 12 (E maj 13th) ZB D-10. Kemper Profiling Amplifier. Fender Twin 1978. POD XT Pro. POD XT Live.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I set up a preset in my Line6 Pod XT to mimic my preferred Mesa Boogie distortion channel setting. I did it by ear, AB-ing the actual amp with sound from my home recording console. I use that patch fairly often now. Here's my latest recording with it: http://b0blee.bandcamp.com/track/keep-coming-back

I know it's not as easy to do as having a profiling amp, but it was an hour well spent. I also use the patch on stage with Rice & Bean because my amp for that band is just a 20/20 power amp and a couple of D-130's.

I think of the Pod XT as a poor man's profiling amp. 8)
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Arthur James

Post by Arthur James »

HI Martin see my latest post... "Kemper Profiling Amplifier for Pedal Steel Guitar"
Carter Single 12 (E maj 13th) ZB D-10. Kemper Profiling Amplifier. Fender Twin 1978. POD XT Pro. POD XT Live.