Beginners' notes

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Janiga

Beginners' notes

Post by Tommy Janiga »

I'm not sure where I should be, but after six weeks of practicing like crazy on weekends with maybe 20-30 minutes a day during the week, plus reading up, I can do these things kind of OK:
  • Find major and minor chords fairly quickly on the first 14 or so frets
  • Use fingerpicks pretty comfortably (this was new to me)
  • Use the A, A-B and B-C pedal combinations pretty comfortably
  • Hit the right spots with the bar OK (as an ex-fiddle player, this isn't new to me)
  • Get an OK vibrato with the bar when I try
  • Play along with most melodic kinds of songs that just use major and minor chords, just doing chord pads with arpeggios and a few pedal tricks – and I can use the steel to figure out new songs & chords much the same way I would on piano, organ or guitar
The bad stuff:
  • Muting is a problem pretty often
  • Strings are rattling more than I'd like
  • I hit the 1 & 2 strings and the 7 string lots of times when I don't want to (I guess these would be "clams"?)
  • I haven't used the knee levers at all yet (5 of them on my Mullen)
  • I can't play any licks – I'm using the steel almost like an organ or rhythm guitar, with a little embellishment from picking arpeggios or using the pedals
  • I haven't gotten used to tabs or spent too much time with them
I expect to start doing skype lessons this weekend and can't wait to learn more and get better. I really love playing this instrument. :D
Last edited by Tommy Janiga on 8 May 2013 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mullen G2 SD10, Nashville 112, 1975 Fender Stratocaster, 1970 Fender MusicMaster Bass, 1971 Univox 1221, DH Baldwin Piano
Tim Vandeville

Post by Tim Vandeville »

Tommy,

The very best thing you did for yourself was to take lessons from someone.

If you thought you loved playing it now just wait till after some lessons. The feeling only gets stronger as things start coming together.

Enjoy the ride...its a blast.

Tim
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Don't feel bad, just keep at it. :)

And don't get down on yourself because you're not playing much at 6 weeks. When we started, we all pretty much sounded like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgKaMUbgQY4

:lol:

And yes, even one lesson will do wonders for you! 8)
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Donny Hinson wrote:Don't feel bad, just keep at it. :)

And don't get down on yourself because you're not playing much at 6 weeks. When we started, we all pretty much sounded like this guy:

:lol:

And yes, even one lesson will do wonders for you! 8)
Donny - thank you - maybe it didn't sound like it from what I posted, but I am hopeful, not discouraged. :D

It sounded so awful the first few days that I wasn't sure what I was getting into - but even then it sounded better than the clip you posted :lol:

Tim - I'm signed up for my first lesson on Saturday, and looking forward to getting more structured about what I'm trying to do. It will also be good to have someone watch me and make sure I get started correctly, especially the right hand stuff.
Mullen G2 SD10, Nashville 112, 1975 Fender Stratocaster, 1970 Fender MusicMaster Bass, 1971 Univox 1221, DH Baldwin Piano
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the next best thing to do now is find a friend with an acoustic guitar to sit and sing songs endlessly while you experiment playing along with him.

i had a really good friend i could sucker into this and it was invaluable to me.
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

chris ivey wrote:the next best thing to do now is find a friend with an acoustic guitar to sit and sing songs endlessly while you experiment playing along with him.

i had a really good friend i could sucker into this and it was invaluable to me.
Chris - that's funny - That's what my son did for me when he was home from college this week, we played a ton and it was so much fun. And I let him pick the tunes and we just saw where it went. You wouldn't think "I'm So Tired" would be a good steel song, but it worked for us. Among all kinds of tunes, we played The Weight a zillion times on lots of different instruments, also Sloop John B, Lodi, This Boy, Don't Let Me Down, Tear Stained Eye, Song for You...

On the other hand, I had my first steel lesson today, and it was a severe reality check. Lots of work ahead.
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

It sounds like you are doing fine for 6 weeks. Having reality checks is something that I think is really important as it keeps you focused on improving your skills. There is so much to learn on the instrument that it can keep you going for a lifetime. Keep at it and you will find that it will come together for you.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Who is your instructor?..(if that's not too bold a question)...just curious since I'm also in NY.......
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Howard S. - thank you - I have it in my head to try to strike a balance between playing for enjoyment and working on drills. I've been playing music since I was five, but was never very disciplined about it. That's been bothering me lately, so I'm going to try to reform myself, at least enough to try to get a decent handle on the steel.

Howard R. - I did a skype lesson with Mike Sweeney, and he gave me plenty of things to work on. :)
Tommy Janiga

Second Lesson

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Well, I found someone local to give me in-person lessons - and I was way more ready for it this time :lol:

We worked on some drills and it was fun - I played an MSA like the one below, which was interesting to try.

Coming along, working hard at it, love doing it.

Last edited by Tommy Janiga on 4 May 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Vandeville

Post by Tim Vandeville »

Glad to hear your still with it.
Just keep pushing forward.
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Tim Vandeville wrote:Glad to hear your still with it.
Just keep pushing forward.
Hey Tim - thanks

I should mention to you one of the things I've been doing a lot lately - I have trouble sleeping most nights, so I'll go play in the dark without the amp, just feeling the strings, trying to move the bar to the right spots without looking. Maybe it's weird, but I like it and I think it's helping me.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Keep at it & soon you'll be playing like this guy.I think he started a couple of weeks ago :lol: :lol:

http://youtu.be/Lta05Q6TNKg

He's my all time favoritest.
John Peay

Good Job, Tommy!

Post by John Peay »

Donny Hinson wrote:And don't get down on yourself because you're not playing much at 6 weeks. When we started, we all pretty much sounded like this guy:

Whew, Donny I was afraid you'd posted a link to my playing!

Tommy, you’re doing great for 6 weeks, I’m glad you’re having fun and hopeful, there’s every reason to be! I’ve only been playing 2 years, but from my perspective, here are a few things I've found helpful in my (so far) short journey:

- Keep up the lessons from pros like Mike Sweeney

- Muting and string rattling will improve almost "magically" (with practice, ha!). Really, though, one day I suddenly realized how much progress I’d made in that area…

- Don’t worry too much about licks or tab at this point (I still don’t really focus on those things). More importantly you want to continue to learn your fretboard, where chords and scale tones are found in various positions (for instance, play the major scale at open, AF, and AB positions, and I even count aloud the scale tones as I play them sometimes). I found it might have been a bit slower for me than jumping into tab and licks, but I’ve got a much better foundation doing it the “long way”!

- Begin to learn harmonized scales, especially two-note scales on strings 3&5 with AB (from open and AB down positions), 4&6 with BC, and 5&8 with A pedal and E-lower / E raise levers….note that once you learn 3&5, you also know 5&6….4&6, 3&4….5&8, 4&5, etc!! I have found the harmonized scales are HUGE for me in both melody playing AND backup/fills.

I too have a 6-string playing singer-songwriter friend who has lots of patience with me jamming with him. I got a Zoom H2 recorder and recorded my friend on several songs, now I can practice “with him” without torturing him!
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Ransom Beers wrote:Keep at it & soon you'll be playing like this guy.I think he started a couple of weeks ago :lol: :lol:

http://youtu.be/Lta05Q6TNKg

He's my all time favoritest.
That's who I watched over and over while I was waiting for my guitar to be built. I must have watched "Poor Boy Blues" a thousand times :)

Starting at my age, I know I'll never play anywhere near as well as David ;)

But hopefully well enough to make myself happy and have some fun with it.

I told my son (20) to start playing this thing NOW.
Last edited by Tommy Janiga on 7 Jun 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

John P. -

Thank you for the nice message - I totally agree about learning the fretboard and the scales - I've been reading Mike Perlowin's theory book and Winnie Winston's PSG book also, and already knew some things about chord patterns and theory. I want to learn the instrument, not just licks.

That said, even though I don't really want to lean on using tabs too much, I did start messing around with the Crazy Arms tab in Winnie's book (and Jamie Lennon's youtube and tab for Help Me Make It Through the Night), and what I like about trying some of that is that it makes me see how the strings up and down the neck are used when you're playing melody. Like you said, it seems like using dyads is going to be a big part of playing.