all the best from Hawaii

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Keith Junot

all the best from Hawaii

Post by Keith Junot »

i just aquired a Cd from a Junk Store titled All the Best From Hawaii , there is a track on it called Hula Lady , sounds like Jerry Byrd , can someone please help me confirm the Steeler ? thanks ... Keith
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

I have this album but had burned the music over to a CD. Definately not any steel player from Hawaii.
I don't think it's Jerry either. Jerry had a better touch than this person. I'd have to dig into my vinyls to see if there are any credits listed.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I believe I have a cassette of that title. It was produced in Canada, with no credits to the players. Just a bootleg tape I believe.
Keith Junot

Post by Keith Junot »

correct , it was produced in Canada in 1991 without credits . i found the lyrics , but not the artist who did the instrumental , sure is some great playing . by the way the album is volume II , with 20 tracks
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

I have checked with a couple of sources, and they say that this CD is a compilation. Every track seems to be different. One source says there is a British steel player on some of the tracks, possibly Basil Henriques.

More specific facts about the album "All the Best from Hawaii." It is a CD made and distributed by Madacy Special Products PO Box 1445 St. Laurent, Quebec, Canada H4L 4Z1. The CD number is INT2 52182.

Aloha, :)
Don
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The music on it is nice, but it's irritating to have some outfit put this stuff out without credits, to make a few bucks.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

It has taken a little while to get the answer to Keith's question. He was asking who the steel guitarist was on the album "All the Best from Hawaii." It is a CD made and distributed by Madacy Special Products PO Box 1445 St. Laurent, Quebec, Canada H4L 4Z1. The CD number is INT2 52182.

The steel guitarist is Bill Wolfgram.

The following is a little bio on him:

Bill Wolfgramm (born 1948) is a musician who primarily plays lap steel guitar and popular Hawaiian music. He was born in the island kingdom of Tonga and is also of German descent. He is the former leader of Bill Wolfgramm & His Islanders,a popular island band in New Zealand that played regularly at the Orange Ballroom, a historic dance venue in Auckland.

A big draw card on the live music scene, he was also a major recording star in New Zealand during the 1950s. He is also the uncle of the Wolfgramm family in the USA who formed the band The Jets and steel guitarist and recording artist Nani Wolfgramm

Here are some samples of his playing steel South Pacific style-

Katinia played by Bill Wolfgramm and The Fofo'anga

Bill and Daphne Walker
Mac McKenzie

All The Best From Hawaii

Post by Mac McKenzie »

I think this is the same CD that has Bill Sevesi's Kehulani. I rang Bill and told him that they had done a straight steal, incorrect spelling and all. Bill said that a lot of this goes on and that is why, when he does an album, he always includes one of his own compositions and then it comes under the wing of APRA - Australasian Performing Rights Association.
Larry Allen

Hula Lady

Post by Larry Allen »

Keith..how's-it. We play Hula Lady on both bands here. It was written by Carlos Andrade..his brother Russell playsUke with us sometimes. Check out the Cazimero Brothers version and also one by the band Na Pali. Hope to see you at and Stu in April when we come back to thaw out the house! Larry :D
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Keith Junot

Post by Keith Junot »

thanks for all the answers , i will check them out .... see ya in April Larry , nice talkin to you today ....