Cable brand of Choice

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

George L, Pro co, and Mogami.

I wonder if somebody might make cables specifically for us the way Live Strings makes strings.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I've had good luck with these Core X2 cables:

Jeremy Marcum

Post by Jeremy Marcum »

If you are willing to spend the money these are supposed to be the top of the line.
http://www.asterope.com/

On the asterope home page click on videos and then click on producers/artists tab and there is an interesting interview with Michael Douchette.
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

Bill Lawrence has a 20 pf/foot low capacitance cable, BL-150, which is on a par with the George L cable performance wise but has the advantage of being very flexible unlike the George L which has a memory to it. Very high quality cable and fittings which are easy to fit.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I use the Bill Lawrence kits too, another idea that his former employee George L "borrowed" from him and marketed... if Lawrence wanted to spend the rest of his (already long...) life in court reclaiming his inventions, he'd be a rich old dead man. The Gibson L6S, where he pioneered the guitar switching that combined coils from different pickups in different ways? Yikes.

The Lawrence sets used to be inexpensive, but they're catching up to the George L's in that way. I also specifically use a high-capacitance cord in some situations to dial off treble. As cords are capacitors, there really can't be a best, it's all depending on the entire system and how you choose to balance it.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

My favorite cable is a GeorgeL with soldered-on Switchcraft ends. I also like the cloth-braided cables from DiMarzio etc... but for min capacitance the GeoL's beat all.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Between my amp and my volume pedal, I'm using a cable I made in 1978: Belden 8410 cable (10' length) with Switchcraft plugs; Between my guitar and the volume pedal I'm using a George L cable (2' length) with straight and right-angle plugs. Someone left this behind on a stage I once played on. I picked it up, used it and have like it ever since. :)

Keep on pickin'
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

Tried George L two different times and had cable short problems when I needed them to perform the most. One was minutes before I was supposed to start playing on the main stage of a large outdoor country fest. NEVER again. Now I think the cable itself is fantastic, I cut up all mine and soldered on right angle plugs to make pedalboard patch cables, but the solderless connections just don't hold up especially if you play alot and are constantly plugging and un-plugging. I now use the highest grade Mogami instrument and solder on Nuetrik gold plated ends and they sound Awesome!
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I basically use george L cables but I like the stretch straight model that is knurled as it is easier to pull in and out of the my guitars.
However, I found that a cutting the cable with a new sharp utility knife on a piece of corian gives a smooth even cut.

I have a bunch of the old standard smaller plugs and they are OK on a pedal board or a rack that you leave plugged in. The wright angle plugs can be a pain if you don't screw the caps in just right. Someday I am going to spend a few hours and untangle the mess of all types of cables I have. Anyone have any ideas of organizing cable?

Lenny
Larry Allen

cables

Post by Larry Allen »

Len how u doin?..I've been using GL .225 for years....In the Alaska studio the GL ends are fine. In the Hawaii studio, with the salt and mold air they failed regulary. I have soldiered Switchcraft straight and 90 degree ends on ALL the cords in my set-up..no more problems..The GFI turned into a Classical 12 String..Larry
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Hi Larry, good to hear from you. How many hours flight from Hawaii to Alaska? How did you make the GFI into a classical gutar? It must be uncomfortable holding it under your arms :)

Lenny
Brandon Halsey

Post by Brandon Halsey »

Use Monster cables for all my stuff. They are the best in my opinion. Expensive, but come with lifetime warranty.
Derby D-10 8x5
Mullen SD-10 3x4
Brandon Halsey

Post by Brandon Halsey »

Use Monster cables for all my stuff. They are the best in my opinion. Expensive, but come with lifetime warranty.
Derby D-10 8x5
Mullen SD-10 3x4
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I guess monster cables are good but some of their marketing approaches are puzzling. I bought a $50.00 monster cable specifically for a jazz guitar to be plugged in one way with an arrow toward the the amp or guitar, I can't remember.
I A/B the cable with other high end cables and could not hear any difference. They also have cables for rock guitar & bass. Cmon, really, nonsense or what?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If you are willing to pay such a premium for Monster cables, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I think you would be interested in. :roll:
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Hey Erv. I've always wanted a nice beach house outside of Tempe. Got anything?

I was "forced" once to buy a Monster mic cable because that was all that Guitar Center had in stock at the time. All I had were 25 or 30 footers (to get either a mic or direct box clear across a big stage to a PA) and I wanted a 15 footer for my house for a vocal mic. I A/B'd the monster against the generic no-name brand that uses Belden/CBI Custom Microphone ROHS 2CG cable and could tell no difference. I have also used the Monster on stage for my direct box or amp mic when the PA was on my side of the stage and can tell no difference.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I agree, a lot of marketing buffalo's a lot of people, big companies know that :D It's a strategy!! I think they even change the names just so you go out and but the 'New one's'' because you will get 'Better Tone' and a lot of people buy into it. I mean everytime i turn around there's something 'BETTER' than the last one...Really?? Then why we still using fender twins!! Well that's funny because when i bought it, you told me it was world class, the best..Well yeah it was but now this one's better and newer, you need the newer one. Gee... aint it funny how time slips away! :\
A.K.A Chappy.
Gibson Hartwell

Post by Gibson Hartwell »

I have been using and loving Rattlesnake cables made by a buddy of mine out of Missoula. His website doesn't have much detail yet but you can get his contact info there. Still use GeorgeL's from time to time, but mostly prefer these Rattlesnake cables. http://www.rattlesnakecables.com/
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Richard,
How about on top of Superstition mountain?
I can give you such a deal! :D