Milkman steel amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hoffnar

Milkman steel amp

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I've had my Milkman steel amp for a week now and so far I love it. Might be the the best amp I have owned, used or played through ever. Sound guys, techs and band mates have all noticed a major difference. The level of sonic improvement is not subtle. And I have been playing through what I thought was already perfect with my tweaked out vintage fenders. The balance in all registers and focus of the mids is fantastic. It also cuts as well as my twin but never goes shrill. The typical "cringe factor" that producers and sound guys dread from steel players just does not happen with Tim's amp. I'll post more as I play it more. I've used it for about six gigs so far.

Oh yea, and it is a joy to play through. Reacts to every touch in a visceral and productive way. I don't need to finesse it to avoid problems. I can finesse it to bring out more subtle levels of expression. Great sound and big fun.
Bob
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

It just is one of those "Now that I've done this I'll never want to do it any other way" moments when you play a Milkman....I've felt that I was getting kind of strident with my praise for it, and it is good to see that my feelings are shared....welcome to the club!
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jonathan Lam

Post by Jonathan Lam »

Love my 20w milkman. Clean all the way to ten. Tone machine.
Gordon Hartin

Post by Gordon Hartin »

Just got a Milkman 5watt a few weeks ago, it is a nice little monster! :)

Gordon
Frank Sprague

Milkman Amps

Post by Frank Sprague »

Gotta chime in here and agree with Bob and Steve and the rest of the guys .
The Sideman was just what I was looking for - Has that sweet sound for 6 string and steel 0-10 - I've gotten a lot of compliments from folks with good music ears . .
Tim definitely puts some quality craftsmanship into his amps .
The only things in life I truly hate - fleas , fruit flies , and building furniture
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Anyone bringing a Milkman to Dallas this week? Can't wait to lust over one in person... You comin' Tim?

Brad
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

thank you all for the kind words and support!

Brad - I am not going to be able to make it this year. I have too many gigs scheduled and too many amps to build to get out of town. I would really like to try and make it one of these years!

Milkman is still a pretty small company - I am just a one person operation. I wish I had time and could afford to send 5-6 amps down to Dallas but its not practical for me at this time. I am trying to build my pirate ship one board at a time - every amp I build gets me closer to setting sail and taking on the big ships out there at sea.

This is why I truly do appreciate all the nice things people are saying about my amps! I love all of my Milkman customers :D
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Now that I've been gigging my Milkman for a couple of months, I have an observation about it....there was a discussion a while ago about number of watts needed for steel....so I started paying attention and and realized that I mostly never turn the Milkman up beyond 4, or maybe 4 1/2....and at that level, there is lots to spare for volume pedal sustain..

I tried cranking it, and I was pretty blown away....I'd swear that this puppy puts out way more clean power than the 85w in the specs....the 4 6L6s crank it out, but maybe it also is that the EQ is designed for steel and puts the power where it does the most good....not sure....

Now I'm just hoping for an unmic'ed fairground gig in the summer so that I can let it loose....
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Hey Bob,

If you are coming to Dallas, why don't you bring your Milkman up to the Little Walter room so folks can try it out. I know that I would love to play through it.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Dan,
I won't make it to Dallas this year. I've got gigs every night and I need to learn tunes for a pile of shows coming up at SXSW.

I've been getting a fantastic and very usable overdrive sound using an earth drive along with the milkman. Scared a guitar player tonight on a couple blues tunes. Pretty fun stuff.
Bob
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Yeah, I never went to a steel show when I played full time either (too many gigs!). :D
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

For those interested, here are some pictures from when I was working on Bob's Milkman amp. You can see how simple the amp circuit is when looking at the chassis - from left to right, there is the preamp, the reverb circuit, the phase inverter, and then the power supply (which is part of the amps output)

The whole thing is built onto a military spec turret board, and hand wired.

The yellow and red things are Jupiter condensers - very high quality capacitors hand made in the USA. The tiny multicolor things are vintage "domino" mica capacitors. These account for the smooth top end of the amp.

The resistors are NOS Allen Bradley carbon composition - same resistors that Fender used in from the 1950's up through the 1980's.

There is a small circuit near the power transformer that is my DC heater reference circuit. This helps keeps the noise floor very low by referencing the amps heaters to a DC voltage instead of to ground.

To the immediate left of the power transformer is the solid state rectifier. It is totally overbuilt and can withstand voltage up to 3kV. However, the plate voltage of this amp is much less - about 450V.

For the serious electronics junkies in the room, you will note the two metal carbon film resistors in the amp - those are in the reverb divider, and are intentionally used to keep reverb noise to a minimum.

Enjoy!

Bobs amp - very 1960's Fender looking!

from left to right - preamp (with EQ), reverb, phase inverter, and power supply

close up of the 85W power supply, and you can see the little DC heater reference circuit in the foreground.

a close up of the front panel, which is very high quality and designed by a good friend of mine, Max Schwartz here in SF
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Bob - You must be ecstatic!

Tim - Thanks for making such a wonderful tool for musicians.
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

you are welcome Lee! I am flattered that people use my amps :D

I started this whole thing because my personal needs were not being met by a boutique amplifier - had to make my own gear. I am really glad its catching on!

Bob - we need to hear you playing out of your amp!
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

My name is Steve and I'm a Milkmanaholic. I admit it. They are as addictive as a drug, and I just can't get enough....

I just ordered a Milkman Sideman. I have a Pedal Steel Amp (85watt) and a Guitar Amp (22watt) already....they all are amazing, but each have their own vibe and particular uses - the Sideman fits right in the middle (50watt), and does both guitar and steel....I may have to pawn my firstborn to pay for it, but it will be worth it. I'll have exactly the perfect amp for every possible need....

I actually was interested in scoring one of each with a very low serial number...I remember when I was playing guitar, through Matchless amps, that the ones built by the designer himself (Mark Sampson), and tested with his ears, were worth double the price of a new amp later on, after they got bigger and had other people doing the work....plus Tim is getting a lot of interest, and will have to start extending the delivery times for new amps at some point....making them all more valuable.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I'm too busy trying to learn tunes for gigs and then playing those gigs to screw around with documentation. I have a couple sessions coming up and I'm sure somebody will be recording a show sometime soon. Maybe some sxsw showcase will be videoed and saved for the benefit of future generations....
Bob
Derek Duplessie

Post by Derek Duplessie »

Bob,

Even though I know they are totally different animals, I'd be curious to know how you'd compare the sound of the Milkman to your Standel--only asking because I have the same amp.

What are the appreciable differences between the two?

derek
Williams S-10
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Nothing to do with this topic and not trying to hyjack the thread. However, my dad
was a milkman all his working life and started out delivering milk in a horse & wagon and then a Divco truck for HP Hood & Sons. So when I hear Milkman I often think of my dad. May order one just for that reason.

Regards,

Lenny
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Derek,
My Standel and Milkman are so different it is hard to compare them. I rarely use the Standel on gigs because it isn't loud enough and it has original modules and a JBL I am afraid of messing up.

The Standel has a beautiful shimmer way up in the highs that haven't heard anywhere else. With the Milkman each note sounds thicker and more present while remaining clear and focused.

Hmmmm... The Standel highs are clear and glassy while not shrill.

The Milkman's highs are more like a silver bell.

I'll try them together some time and see if I can come up with a more coherent response.
Bob
JR Ross

Post by JR Ross »

Bob ..What are you using for delay? how do you like the Reverb circuit?
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

The reverb is sorta perfect that is built into the amp. I was getting away from using reverb but it sounds so good I'm into it. The controls make it very usable. I keep it pretty subtle. For delay I have been using a carbon copy. I use just a hint of short slap.
Last edited by Bob Hoffnar on 10 Mar 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
JR Ross

Post by JR Ross »

This is very good information Bob..I'm very impressed with the 3 controls for the reverb unlike most amps I've seen..Looks like you can controll the decay as well as the echo a lot more to shape the reverb effect to personal preferences a lot better..I look forward to a more comprehensive review of this amp after you get some more gigs under your belt with this amp..I am seriously considering getting one of these for myself.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

JR-
The reverb on the pedal steel amp is more like having a real $1,000 Fender outboard Tube Reverb built into it....similar design and same controls:
http://www.fender.com/series/vintage-re ... be-reverb/
this is as perfect as reverb gets ...

I find that I use all three controls - the Blend is all you normally get on most amps (assuming the amp has a reverb)...being able to set the tone a little darker or sharper for the reverb signal gives a lot of control over the "feel" of the sound....and the Dwell lets you set how hard the reverb springs get hit on the input, so you can get everything from lots of "boings" or a subtle spatial echo....

I'm with Bob on this....I keep thinking that I should use less reverb, but it just is such a pretty sound on this amp....so I can't bring myself to turn it down...
JR Ross

Post by JR Ross »

Thanks Steve ..I got a feeling this is one a the strong points in favor of the Milkman..Most amps in my estimation do not have the ability to shape the intensity and decay of the reverb circuit effectably enough..
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

Hey JR - my other steel amplifier the Sideman has a tone knob on the reverb control as well. I find it to be essential to tame the spring sound.

There are also 2 channels - one has a tweed style EQ (single knob - for that "pure tube tone") and a second channel with my Milkman EQ

Both channels get reverb and a tone knobs allows for a nice smooth sound

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=241360