Eminence 12 vs. blue marvel

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Rasch

Eminence 12 vs. blue marvel

Post by William Rasch »

I'd like to hear comments from anyone who has swapped out the stock blue marvel in a NV112 and installed the new Emi 12 as to how it performed in this amp.
William Rasch

Post by William Rasch »

Anyone swap these?
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Installed mine a few days ago, marked improvement to my ears...IMO: Transformed an "acceptable" sounding amp into a true contender.
William Rasch

Post by William Rasch »

Thank you Your input was helpful Anyone else?
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Hey Bill. I have the 15" eminence speaker. You could (and should) come over sometime and try it out. I'm sure there are tonal similarities between the 12 and 15.
Chris Willingham

Post by Chris Willingham »

I've got a 112 and the big brown truck is bringing mine tomorrow. I'm off for the day, so I'll be able to spend some time with it and report back.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Hey two guys from VT on the same post. Thought I'd make it a third.
I discovered I really like the sound of the Fender special design 12" by eminence. Came with my guitar amp, a Fender Blues Deluxe, which I now use for steel. I bought a spare on Ebay and have a cabinet 90% built for it. It's another one of those 90% projects.
What town do you live in Bill?
I'd like to hear what the new Eminence 12 sounds like.
Kenny Christian

Vermont Residents

Post by Kenny Christian »

HEY,YOU MEN FROM VERMONT, BY CHANCE DOES ANY OF YOU
KNOW A MAN NAMED SKIP LITTLE? I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE
LIVES IN YOUR STATE. HE AND I WERE AIR FORCE BUDS
BACK IN THE MID 60'SK. I WOULD SURE LIKE TO CONTACT
HIM IF POSSIBLE. ALTHOUGH IT'S A STRETCH. KENNY
GFI,SD10,3/4;NV-112,T FOX MODS,
BB,DD3,RV5,GOODRICH 120
Fred Rushing

Speaker

Post by Fred Rushing »

David. Would you care to bea bit more descriptive on your opinion of the two speakers in the 112. Most people over the years never thought it was worth the money or the weight difference to put a BW in a 112.

What do you hear that tells you it is a good investment?

Thanks Fred
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Fred...After removing the Blue Marvel, reinstalled it into a 1-12" cab. Have an additional 12" cab with a 1201 BW installed, so I hooked them up one at a time to the same system. Could not hear a noticeable difference in the two, which may explain why installing a BW in a Nashville 112 did not become a popular modification...The Eminence on the other hand, seems to possess a smoother response across the board giving the Nashville (with Fox chips installed) a nice boost in the tone department as well as making it a few pounds lighter...JMOYMMV.
William Rasch

Post by William Rasch »

Sorry Kenney don't know mister Little. I have tried the EPS15 in a home built rig using a heavily modified Bandmaster head. Liked the sound a lot. I picked up a used NV112 with Fox chips from George Seymore and was just wondering if it was justified in swapping out the speaker since it is a pretty good chunk of change. I am a newbie to this instrument but I think being a guitar player for 45 years has helped with the learning curve and I'm pretty pleased with the progress I,ve made so far. Its been on my bucket list for a long time. I'm happy to know there are other Vt. players so near to me that I can draw on
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

My eminence 15" is in a bandmaster too. A '68 that i put in a combo cab. You build a great amp Bill. I've used (other) Brett's tweed deluxe a few times for recording pedal steel and it sounded great.
William Rasch

Post by William Rasch »

Thanks for the kind words Brett
Fred Thompson

Post by Fred Thompson »

I swapped out the Blue Marvel with an Eminence and to my ears, my amp sounded better tone-wise. BUT, it didn't improve the weight much. :\
Fred
The difference between a musician and a savings bond is eventually the bond will mature and earn money.
Tommy R. Butler

Post by Tommy R. Butler »

[quote="David Nugent"]Fred...After removing the Blue Marvel, reinstalled it into a 1-12" cab. Have an additional 12" cab with a 1201 BW installed, so I hooked them up one at a time to the same system. Could not hear a noticeable difference in the two, which may explain why installing a BW in a Nashville 112 did not become a popular modification...The Eminence on the other hand, seems to possess a smoother response across the board giving the Nashville (with Fox chips installed) a nice boost in the tone department as well as making it a few pounds lighter...JMOYMMV.[/quote]

I agree. Seems more sonically pleasing to my ears.