buzzing under the bar???

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michelle Durham

buzzing under the bar???

Post by Michelle Durham »

i seem to have a buzzing effect under my bar in some positions is this normal? maybe making too much of it. thought it could be my volume pedal. plugged in direct still hear it. hope its not my hearing!.im playing on a new almost gfi. ultra. amp is peavy nashville. set to suggested settings.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

The likeliest explanation could be that the bar is not down on all the strings evenly - that the pressure is uneven on individual strings. Also, make sure that the fingers of your left hand is muting the strings behind the bar.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Two likely causes:
1: inadequate bar hand pressure. You don't need to press hard, but you need a little for clean tone.
2: Not putting your trailing fingers to use damping on the back side of the bar. You'll get sympathetic vibrations from the back side at frets 4,5,7,9 ,12, and some more.

Less likely? Nicks on the bar, even small ones.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jerry Kippola

Post by Jerry Kippola »

U need to have a thickness shim gauge to see which strings make contact, and how many thousandths clearance there is on the ones that don't . I did mine on around the 2nd fret, and then changed nut roller sizes to accomodate--it made a huge difference in tuning and buzzing. amazing
Pete Nicholls

Post by Pete Nicholls »

I'm thinking that a change of strings might be a cure for this, as I had noticed this before my last string change and now it's gone!
Justice The Judge SD-10, 2007
Justice Pro Lite SD-10, 2011
Quilter Steelaire
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

Using the tip of the bar only, on strings that are to be played is by far the greatest acheivement to your tone and keeping down unwanted string noise. I had the bad habit of using the entire bar when I first began playing. But I've learned better and glad for it. :mrgreen:
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Using the tip of the bar only, on strings that are to be played . . .
A little difficult when the strings to be played
are a 3, 5 & 8 or a 4, 6 & 10 string grip?
:?
~Rw
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

If I were playing 3 and 5 I would put the tip on 3 and cover 5, I would not extend to 1and 2 and cover them and etc. Most instructions I've used have taught this and on bar technique. Works for me. Thought I would pass it along. ;-)
Bobby D. Jones

Buzzing under the bar ???

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Is this problem only on the first or second fret from the Nut Rollers?? You talk the steel is nearly new. Are you the original owner or bought it used??? Could someone before you removed the Nut Rollers for cleaning or service? Have you had the Nut Rollers off for cleaning or service? If the guitar has a set of Matched Rollers to the strings, Some how they may have gotten mixed up and now some of the strings are on the wrong rollers and they are high, Others on the wrong rollers are low and that is your wierd sounding strings. Check the bar for dings as advised before. Good Luck in finding the problem and getting it solved.
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

If I were playing 3 and 5 I would put the tip on 3 and cover 5, I would not extend to 1and 2 and cover them and etc.

So you're still covering strings
that are not being played:
string 4 and no doubt 6, 7
and on down . . .
Gotcha . . .
~Rw
Bill Bassett

New Strings

Post by Bill Bassett »

Try a new set first, like Pete said. Then if buzz persists, try more exotic solutions.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I had this problem. I went through every possible solution search and finally found that it was me. I have had surgery on right wrist twice and I believe that is where the problem really is. Sometimes it is there when I start a gig and it clears in 20-30 minutes. Angle and attack of the pick seems to be the answer.