Steel players who play Dobro

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Niels Andrews

Steel players who play Dobro

Post by Niels Andrews »

What tone bar do most people who play both instruments use?
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

I use a 15/16" BJS for psg and a modified stainless steel Scheerhorn grooved bar for dobro
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Michael Nemick

Post by Michael Nemick »

FWIW I use an E.G. Smith for my Dobro and Acoustic Lap Steels http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail.ht ... ry_key=622 and for my Electric Lap Steels, a John Pearse® Thermo-Cryonic™ Tone Bar - Lap Steel/Hawaiian Guitar Length: 2-7/8" Diameter: 3/4" Weight: 5.2 oz, 148g http://www.jpstrings.com/braccess.htm I can't imagine using anything else. I have tried so many and these were my choices. I am happy.
"I shall pass through this world but once, any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not deter or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again" Stephen Grellet
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I use different bars for ea. instrument. I played steel first. When I got my first dobro, the big bullet steel bar I was using felt clumsy for dobro. The sound is different also.

I had an old Stevens bar that came with my first steel which I never really used for steel. I had experimented with rounding off one end, leaving the other end square.

It felt awkward due to being used to a bullet bar for steel, so I got a 2 7/8 X 3/4 bullet bar with a clip on grip for dobro. I used it for a few years, but recently I'm getting back to a Stevens type combination radiused/sharp end bar.

I think it depends what technique you want to use. Not everybody picks the bar up, capos everything and does hammers and pulls on every tune bluegrass style. Some people like the early style, ala Oswald or old time country style with more melodic phrasing up and down the neck. A bullet bar works fine there in my experience. JMO. :arrow:
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

I use a BJS for pedal steel and a Shubb SP1 or SP2 for dobro.

Thanx,
Jim
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Standard or 15/16" BJS for Pedal, Smith or Wallace wood/steel bar for Reso, and a small dunlop for lap. They each draw out a different feel and connection to the strings for me.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I use a 5/16" BJS for PSG and a Ron Tipton bar for dobro. I also like the Tipton bar for lap and console steel(even 8 string).
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Chris Tweed

Post by Chris Tweed »

I use a standard 15/16" for PSG, a stainless steel Scheerhorn bar for lap steel (8-string) and a chrome Scheerhorn for dobro (6-string).
Charley Wilder

Post by Charley Wilder »

I use a Stevens for both. One end is rounded but I seldom use it that way.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I use a 15/16th BJS Hughey lite for PSG, and a Beard 2010 on my MA6
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I use a Tribotone for resonator, pedal and non-pedal.
Joe Snow

Post by Joe Snow »

second the tribotone for both resonator and "lap".
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

For slide guitar and lap steel I use Tribotone slides/tone bars and Paloma Stone slides/tone bars.

However on my Fouke Industrial lap steel I use this huge lead-crystal tone bar from Diamond Bottlenecks.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp?n=154
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Sheerhorn stainless for hammer on/offs Dobro.
3/4" BJS bar for slow, smooth & slant Dobro.
15/16" Zirc for PSG.
Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race, the rats get faster.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

I can't get over this conversation which keeps recurring over time. I started playing Dobro about 30 years of playing steel guitar, and steel is still really my forte.

I was using a larger (than smaller) bullet bar on the steel, and simply used the same bar on the Dobro becuase at that time I wasn't into pull-offs etc. My style is that of Oswald.

Some Dobro players used to comment that I was using the wrong bar.

As I tell my students, the guitar, the strings, bar and picks are all very personal items, and you should use what suits you, not what othes like.

I use a Shubb SP-2 for both instruments now, and don't get any critisism and don't care if I did!!!!! The reason for me using it is simply because I like it the best. The Stevens bar is much to light for me, I call it "child's play".

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

I use a BJS Bar on steel and I use a Shubb Pearse on my Dobro. I also like to use the Shubb Pearse bar on my Steel once in a while.I notice a couple Steel players on Mid Country on RFD channel use it on their Steels.
Sam white
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Michael Wolfe

Post by Michael Wolfe »

Lap Dawg for both.
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

I use Shubb SP1 for both. I switch from straight to curved end for different styles of playing. I like that I can easily make that switch within a song.
David K
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

I use a BJS for PSG, a Lap Dawg for Dobro and a Tribotone or Dunlop 918 or 919 for Lap Steel.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Shubb SP2 or Lap Dawg for both.
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

I use Emmons No.4 for PSG, Dunlop 918 for lap steel and (currently) a Stevens-type Johnson bar for Dobro.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

BJS for PSG and a Sheerhorn for Dobro (when I used to have one).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I use mostly a Scheerhorn stainless for both dobro and lap steel, and occasionally an E.G. Smith stainless. My lap steels are six stringers, so I stick with dobro bars these days for that - I like the positive grip control of being able to lift the bar and speedily travel up and down the neck with it. I feels musch more natural in my hand than a bullet bar.

For pedal steel, if you can call my hacking away at the thing "playing," I use a Dunlop stainless 920, 7/8" diameter x 2 7/8" long.
Mark
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

I just finished playing my Dobro with my new SHUBB SP-3. I am really impressed how much cleaner and faster I can play with less effort.I was using my tribitone before which I play my steels with, this is much better.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.