favorite Greg Leisz solo?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Aaron Shively

favorite Greg Leisz solo?

Post by Aaron Shively »

Every so often, I go searching for more magical Greg Leisz solos. What's your favorite?
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Not really a solo per se, but I love what he does throughout "Killing the Blues" by Allison Krauss and Robert Plant.
Derek Duplessie

Post by Derek Duplessie »

My favorite is still probably his playing on "Dancing with the Women" on the second Whiskeytown album. Also, his playing on the last Jakob Dylan album is really excellent.
Derek Duplessie

Also, check out his solo on "Harmonia" by Cass Mccombs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRtRZqou4M

Starts around 2:40.
Shawn Brown

Post by Shawn Brown »

On the Kim Richey song "Let it Roll" from the album "Bitter Sweet" he does about a minute and a half ride at the end that's a favorite of mine.
Derek Duplessie

I thought that was Dan Dugmore.
Shawn Brown

Post by Shawn Brown »

You're right. It was Dan Dugmore. I stand corrected.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I'm a big fan of Greg's work with Bill Frisell. Check out Good Dog Happy Man from the CD of the same title, or Surfer Girl from a live Seattle concert in 2009.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Slow Dance
From Bill Frisell's Blues Dream album.

Not a solo, a duet with Frisell, incredible intertwining melodic electric and resonator guitar lines.
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

Winona, from Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" CD

Not just a solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFJFPD8UtK0

I love the way Leisz plays - tasteful, understated, atmospheric, and always interesting.

Has anyone seen the clips of him playing Beatles covers with Bill Frisell? Great stuff.
Last edited by Tommy Janiga on 27 Feb 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mullen G2 SD10, Nashville 112, 1975 Fender Stratocaster, 1970 Fender MusicMaster Bass, 1971 Univox 1221, DH Baldwin Piano
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

My fav GL solo is a tune called 3000 year old girl by the Black Plums.
I think you can get it a iTunes.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

When I think of Greg, I don't really have a favorite solo - some of the tunes mentioned here I enjoy for sure.

My wife rolls her eyes when we're with people and I use yet another sports analogy, but after 31 years she's come to accept it.

She's not here to roll her eyes so I have one that applies to Greg. it helps if you like baseball (as we do here in Giants country!). He certainly has played his share of excellent solos, but If he were a baseball player and the score were tied in the bottom of the 9th, this is how I see Greg as he steps into the batter's box. He might not be the guy to end the game with a walk-off home run, though at times he's certainly capable of it. I see Greg as the guy who is very patient with the pressure on and draws a walk. Then in a momentary lapse of concentration by the pitcher Greg capitalizes on this and steals second. Then with two out the hitter singles to the outfield and Greg comes across the plate with the winning run! The whole sequence isn't spectacular and doesn't garner the opening story on the ESPN Baseball Report that evening, it's just good smart baseball.

It's one of the things I love about one of my favorite albums of the '90s, Ingenue by k.d. lang. Between lap and pedal steel on a number of the songs, he adds the tastiest playing but it's not in your face. Greg leaves the tune better than he found it.
Mark
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I think Leisz's greatest strength as a player is not as much his soloing (which IS exquisite), but the way he supports with fills and chord voicings that lie underneath the lead instrument/vocal. My favorite work that Leisz does is his stuff on Frisell's albums. I read an interview with Frisell in which Frisell stated that Leisz is the one guy he does not need to script, he simply has that inherent sense of how to support a song. Frisell often composes parts for the other instruments.
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

The Gene Clark Song "Why Not Your Baby" done by Velvet Crush back in the 90's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu4D5MaS3Cs

HUGE solo. 8)
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Chris Walke wrote:I think Leisz's greatest strength as a player is not as much his soloing (which IS exquisite), but the way he supports with fills and chord voicings that lie underneath the lead instrument/vocal. My favorite work that Leisz does is his stuff on Frisell's albums. I read an interview with Frisell in which Frisell stated that Leisz is the one guy he does not need to script, he simply has that inherent sense of how to support a song. Frisell often composes parts for the other instruments.
Yup, I agree. Greg does some great playing on a few Peter Case records.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzAdqnmPNbk
Ian Sutton

Post by Ian Sutton »

I really love his playing on this song "In The Orchard" by one of my favorite bands, Tiger Army. Very tasteful IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_VVXo5f27I
Some gear.
Derek Duplessie

I would guess that a common link between all of us who are such fans of Greg Leisz is that we all tend to be drawn to music that is a bit more alternative. I cannot quite separate my admiration for Greg from my admiration for the artists he tends to support (Whiskeytown, Emmylou Harris, Bill Frisell, etc). Most importantly, though, Greg is so much more than a great steel player: He's a great musician, and it's really is melodic and dynamic sensibility that I appreciate more than his "chops" (not that he doesn't have those as well).
Williams S-10
David Clancy

Post by David Clancy »

I think he's really out of the Ben Keith school of playing. Always present to in the song, but very complementary, and above all great tone
Christopher Hillman

Post by Christopher Hillman »

Some of my favourite Greg Leisz moments are on this Billy Bragg track. I had to learn it for the American tour and the steel parts are great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfRu3g3KXBI
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Not a solo, a duet - "Slow Dance" from Frisell's blues dream. And it's not PSG, it's resonator.

Must agree with the comments about his greatest strength being how he supports a vocal or lead instrument. I read an interview with Frisell once where he stated that, generally, he composes parts for all the musicians EXCEPT Leisz, because Leisz just connects with a tune exactly the way Frisell wants him to.
Rick Schacter

Post by Rick Schacter »

New York City's Killing Me by Ray Lamontagne.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Rick Schacter wrote:New York City's Killing Me by Ray Lamontagne.
I believe that was Eric Heywood....but they're both on the album. Thought Leisz only played pedal steel on "God Willing..." He does add beautiful lap steel and bari guitar throughout the album.
Rick Schacter

Post by Rick Schacter »

[quote="Chris Walke
I believe that was Eric Heywood....but they're both on the album. Thought Leisz only played pedal steel on "God Willing..." He does add beautiful lap steel and bari guitar throughout the album.[/quote]

Oops! :oops:

Well...since somebody mentioned Tiger Army, here's Greg Leisz playing some pedal steel on another one of their songs.
No solo, but still a very tastefully played track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxvTTRKvfEU

Rick
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Greg's production of "Wild Mountain Thyme" on the Steve Fishell-produced "Salute to the Big E" is right up there with Buddy's own.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Rick Schacter wrote:[quote="Chris Walke
I believe that was Eric Heywood....but they're both on the album. Thought Leisz only played pedal steel on "God Willing..." He does add beautiful lap steel and bari guitar throughout the album.
Oops! :oops:

Rick[/quote]

Yeah, Leisz plays the tremolo guitar part on NYC's Killing Me.