2nd String Lower/Half Stop returns sharp. Help please.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Lyon

2nd String Lower/Half Stop returns sharp. Help please.

Post by Travis Lyon »

I have a 77' MSA Classic with the halfstop from Mike Yahl on the RKR that lowers string 2 to C# with a feel at D, and it also drops 9 from D to C#. However, when I have the half stop set correctly, the change will return string 2 sharp, and sharper with the next consecutive 3 or 4 uses. I checked out the undercarriage and I don't see any points of friction, but the problem seems to be that the lever itself doesn't physically return all the way, enough to sharpen the string by 15-20 cents after a few uses of it. However, if I loosen the half stop so that it is essentially non-funtional, the string returns perfectly in tune. Right now I have the change tuned to on the 2nd string because I use it more, but I would like to have my functional half stop back. What's going on here? Should I undo all the end-nuts and tune the 2nd and 9th string changes in a specific order?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you don't have the ½stop rod PERFECTLY longitudinal, it'll push back because of the binding.
That sounds like what's happening
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Joe Babb

Post by Joe Babb »

here's a couple of other things to try.
One is to oil the roller nuts with some light gun or sewing machine oil. I have found this to help sometimes when my 6th string comes back sharp after lowering. Oil the changer while you're at it.
The other is to increase the return spring tension. But I just remembered that MSA's don't have that adjustment, I think. But if it was working and isn't now, I'd look real close to ensure nothing's binding underneath.