Carter Starter

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Winters

Carter Starter

Post by Stephen Winters »

I have had my Carter Starter nearly a year now, and this past Saturday I put the first set of new strings on it. (please don't laugh, ha.)

Although the old strings were dead as doornails, the Carter Starter has never broken a string; playing it at least three or more times a week for nearly a year. It only needs minor tuning every couple of times I sit down to play.

I think Carter has made a fine instrument.

------------------
Stephen Winters
Carter Starter
Peavey Deuce
Joey Gaskins

Post by Joey Gaskins »

I also have a 13 month old Carter Starter. I've tried to play at least one hour a day. I have found that I break the 3rd string about every 4 weeks so I started changing it the first of each month. I just bought a new GFI and I have the same problem, so I have laid in a supply of 3rd's. Thanks to Carter for getting me started.
Michael Frede

Post by Michael Frede »

I got a Carter Starter from Musician's Friend "scratch & dent" department.Played it for about a year and then passed it on to another `perspiring' steeler through this forum.I now own S-10 and D-10 Sierra PSG's,but I can certainly credit the Carter for getting me `started'.BTW,both my Sierras break 3rd's and sometimes 5th's{E9).
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Stephen,
Have a look in the box that the Carter starter came in. I think you may have left the pedal rack in there.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by richard burton on 23 January 2003 at 01:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Stephen Winters

Post by Stephen Winters »

No Mr. Burton, the pedals are very much attached. Infact, a little while after I got the Carter, I added a 1 inch leg and pedal rod lift kit. The third string gets a very good work out when I play.

------------------
Stephen Winters
Carter Starter
Peavey Deuce
Tom Olson

Post by Tom Olson »

Joey G. -- just curious: is your GFI a keyed or keyless tuning head?
Steve Buchanan

Post by Steve Buchanan »

I began with a Carter Starter a little over a year ago. The strings do last, and I couldn't recommend this steel enough to someone who wants to learn.
David Farlow

Post by David Farlow »

I got my Carter Starter about five weeks ago and have had the 3rd string break a few days ago. Have made a few modifications to it. The LKL was flexing way out of position when engaged so I put a supporting piece behind it to keep it from flexing so much. Also on the LKL I added a definite stop. The top of a screw(round head) mounted on the underside of the guitar was being used as the stop. When you engaged the lever it would hit the screw(stop) and start sliding off of it. So I made a stop out of a piece of angled aluminum, with a screw/nuts for adjustment to lock it in, and mounted it to where it would provide a definite stop to the LKL lever. So far this is working fine. The guitar stays in tune a lot better than I expected and has a good sound. It's not a Pro model, but as many have stated, it is a good, affordable guitar for a newbie or someone like me who can't afford a Pro model yet.

David

------------------
Michael Frede

Post by Michael Frede »

My F lever kept bending,too.I did like the B-Bb lower on RKL.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear third strings breaking is put a (JAGWIRE) string on it and it will all go away for you. just my three cents worth
Carlton Harmon

Post by Carlton Harmon »

Stephen, send me the third string you took off when you put new ones on. carlton harmon. willis,va