Winnie Winston's E9th 12 string tuning

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

KENNY KRUPNICK

Winnie Winston's E9th 12 string tuning

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Winnie, could you post your tuning,and set-up in a diagram? Thanks. Kenny Krupnick
Winnie Winston

Post by Winnie Winston »

I do have it all sketched out, but it is on another computer, and that one can’t hook to the internet. I DID post it a while back, but I’ll go through it again, and you can make your own chart.
I have a standard E9th with an added G# and E in place 11 and 12.

Pedal 1 (A pedal): pull both B to C#
Pedal 2 (B pedal): pull all three G# to A.
Pedal 3 (C pedal): 4th E to F# and 5th B to C#
Pedal 4: pull 5th B to C# and 6th G# to A
Pedal 5: pull 6th G# to Bb
Pedal 6: (mooney pedal): 4th E to F# and low G# to A.

LKL outside: 4&8 E’s to F, low E to C#
LKL inside: all G# to G
LKV: 5th B to Bb
LKR: 4&8 E’s to Eb

RKL outside: 7th F# to F, 1st to G.
RKL inside: 1&7 up to G.
RKR outside: 2nd Eb to D then with 9th down to C#
RKR inside: pulls the D to a Eb and lowers the 4th E to an Eb.

That’s it!

JW
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Thanks Winnie.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Winnie,
Cool set up!! I thought I was the only one who had that "Mooney Pedal" which pulls string 4 to F# and string 11 to A. I have it on pedal #4 instead of the regular C pedal as I have the Tom Brumley change on pedal 1 which pulls the 7th string to G#. I like the Maj 7 grip on the "Mooney" pedal by using strings 6,8, & 11. I like the change you have on pedal 4. I used to have that one and really miss it a lot. My next guitar will have it. I started using that change after seeing it on Bill Keith's copedant in your book. Have a good 'un..JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Could someone explain how you work two knee levers on the same side of the knee in the same cluster, e.g. LKL1 and LKL2, or as Winnie refers to them LKL inside and LKL outside)? Do you always use them together, and if not, how do you access them separately?

Also, what does the Paul Franklin pedal do?

Thanks.

------------------
Student of the Steel, and cheap instrument connoisseur: customized 1970 Sho-Bud Maverick, Fessy S12U, Emmons S12 E9 P/P, Nashville 400, Fender Squire, Peavey Transtube Supreme into JBL 15", 1968 Gibson J50, '60s Kay arch-top, 7-string Raybro, customized Korean Regal square-neck, roundneck Dobro 90C, 1938 Conn Chu Berry tenor sax, '50s Berg mouthpiece, Hamilton upright piano. You make it, I'll play it (more or less)

Dennis Boyd

Post by Dennis Boyd »

David,
A cluster of knee levers is arranged so that the inside levers are positioned closer to the front of the guitar and are closer to the knee at your normal sitting position. The outside levers are positioned closer to the player and are spaced farther apart. This allows engaging the inside levers without hitting the outside ones. You have to pull your knee back slightly to miss the inside levers when you want to engage the outside ones.

I place two vertical knee levers within the cluster on my left leg which provides a lot of changes. I use a cluster of three on my right leg (RL, RR(IN), and RR(OUT)).

Hope this helps.

Dennis
Eugene Cole

Post by Eugene Cole »

Winnie Posted his setup 27 March 2002 05:44 PM.
The Link is: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003726.html

PS. we miss you here in the States.

------------------
Regards
-- Eugene@FJ45.com

Mac Bellingrath

Post by Mac Bellingrath »

I'm a new player. I saw in Winnie Winston's post a mention of the Mooney pedal. Can someone explain in harmonic or melodic terms what the purpose of that pull is? Thanks.
Winnie Winston

Post by Winnie Winston »

As for Eugene...
I miss the folks in the USA too, but it sure is nice in NZ. Come visit!
As for the Mooney pedal... not sure what the harmonic content is. It's there to be able to duplicate Mooney's stuff where he raises the E to F# without dragging the B to C# along. I often use it with my *right* foot while holding down the A&B with my left foot.
To sort of paraphase Mooney, "I'm not sure what it does but sure sounds pretty!"

JW