? on Fender Champion lapsteel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jay L. Taylor

? on Fender Champion lapsteel

Post by Jay L. Taylor »

I an considering buying one of these guitars in excellent condition. I would appreciate any information such as years this guitar was produced, the guitars worth, etc. Thanks, Jay
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, the Fender Champion was produced between 1949 and 1955. Most are yellowish pearloid, but some are blue (the blue might have faded to a greenish color).
These lap steels have a sound that to me resembles the Fender Telecasters of the same period.
The most common problem on these guitars is crumbled tuning buttons - the plastic used for the tuner buttons did not hold up well. Fortunately replacement tuners are easily available.
It's worth whatever you pay for it; I see them going for between $150 and $500 depending on condition and where it's being sold.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Sur Singh

Post by Sur Singh »

Are these champs "Student Guitars"? There is another Fender guitar called Champ, is that different or the same as Champion? I think I might have read in a Fender book that Champion name was changed to Champ due to some copyright issue or something. While we are on Fenders, is an Organ-Button a coveted instrument? What is roughly a good price for it?

Thanks.
-Surinder Singh <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 11 August 2000 at 09:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Lew Collins

Post by Lew Collins »

These are great guitars if you like Telecasters! I don't play my Champion to often anymore...it's just so bright sounding. I like my bakelite Rick alot more...sweeter and warmer and rounder sounding. But the Champions are great little guitars for soloing through a little tweed Fender amp...sounds alot like the lead pickup on a great old Tele or Broadcaster.