Very Old Sho-Bud for Sale

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Bowman

Arrogance

Post by Jack Bowman »

I watch these minor question deteriorate into a lot of blather sort of like "my Dad can Whip your Dad" or "I wouldn't own one of those things." Can we just sound out the big words in a question asked and watch or listen for some intelegence to come forth from those who may really know or have usefull answers. Just Sayin'. A few of us wouldbe steelers are not so smart about these subjects, or we wouldn't be seeking answers.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Are you suggesting that we rate members as to experience, longevity, and/or talent?
What would be your parameters? :\
Last edited by Alan Brookes on 1 Feb 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Jack,
I'm sorry .....I didn't know that this was a thread about folks who only had great experiences with a Maverick .... I read threads about guys who played Mavericks and their experiences with them .....Nothing intelligent , or usefull about that , just speaking of experiences ..... I moved on to a better playing pedal steel , and learned how to play it , and that's about as useful an answer as I can give you .. :D
.....Jim
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Well,guys...it comes down to this: Would you rather your Mav be a Sho-Bud or a Ford? ;-)
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

When I visited Coop, he showed me a Mav that he had made a new changer for. He said that, "With this changer, it can do everything."
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Student models will always be a compromise. There isn't an enormous market for steel guitars, so anyone who brings out a student model has to balance manufacturing costs against the used market, and the fact is that a used professional instrument will always beat a brand new student model.

Are there any student models on the market right now?
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Jack Bowman said ( quote )
A few of us wouldbe steelers are not so smart about these subjects, or we wouldn't be seeking answers.
John Billings said ( quote )
When I visited Coop, he showed me a Mav that he had made a new changer for. He said that, "With this changer, it can do everything."
Jack
what the deal is with some of the early student modals - they were just that, a starting point for learning -- what I can add to the conversation is -- like John B said -- you can build a guitar that is just as good as some of the best -- its best if you have skills to do so, but can be done -- My favorite PSG is a Fender student I built up with Sho Bud parts that I got from Bobbe --- its now a 3+5 - it will do more that I’m capable of . If you dont like projects , i’d stay away from these older student modals .

disclaimer -IMO - some of the later student Sho-Bud & fender Sho-Bud built guitars are very playable - but limited
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I just recently acquired a 1st Generation Maverick in great shape, with the intent of making it a non-pedal S-10 C6 guitar.

This I will still do, but setting it up and playing a little on the 3 pedals... excellent action, btw... I again reminded myself that an early Maverick can really nail the 60's Sho~Bud sound, if the player knows how to play that style. IMHO:

1. The changer on the Maverick is predominantly the same as on the professional level Permanents that cut so many hit records in the 60's;

2. The wood cabinet/raised neck and Gumby peghead, with no rollers or string ball ends, and the Grover Sta-tites also contribute to the 60's sound, again like the Permanents;

3. The pickup ohmage resistance is 12.2k, with the old style 2-screw mounting system;

4. I could play a whole evening's country gig on this guitar (3p/0k) no problem. Simple slants easy to do.

One of the problems with the Maverick, PR-wise, is that they're most often heard being played by guys who are, well... beginners. Therefore they don't sound so good and play so well. Played by a more experienced player who remembers his slants from the old days, the Maverick can be a great sounding guitar.

Ironically, the Emmons GS-10 Student guitar is often talked about as being the "best sounding" PP (whatever THAT means), though the GS-10 has a fully functional PP changer. Adding knee levers to a GS-10 is easy and makes it a "full" guitar.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Ooooopppsss... I forgot that I had previously posted on this thread 4 years ago! :lol:

Oh well, it bears repeating

DON'T DISS THE MAVS!!

:lol:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

I have 3 rack and barrel 'Buds and plan on keeping them until they get less respect :D
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Jack Bowman:
You are right. There is a lot of negative comments about not only the Maverick but the Multi-Kord and Fender 1000 as well. You had to be there at the time to appreciate how little was avaiable.
There was nothing beautiful nor were the mechanics that great but, it beat drilling holes and driving bent spikes thru the neck of a good lap steel.
The talent of the picker can over come a lot of deficiencies in the instrument.
Great golfers play well with any kind of clubs.
I guarantee you that the Maverick looked like a real jewel to a guy who was trying to figure out how in hell to get "that" sound on a six string lap steel.I know because I was there sixty two years ago listing to "Slowly " and trying to figure it out in the middle of the north Atlantic ocean.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

My first steel was a maverick and I really liked it for what I did.I still play it a lot even though I now have a much more modern all pull guitar.Cant beat that ShoBud sound.If a person is learning and needs an inexpensive guitar I completely recommend it now sure it will not do what a modern guitar will do but it will atleast get you started.
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

daniel makes a valid point here.
i have followed his progress and i believe the maverick start-up has carried him well.
he played every note as far as it would go before moving onto his next experience and has done a great job with it.
and still keeps the maverick warmed-up & ready to go!

country..........
Dave Mudgett

Re: Arrogance

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Jack Bowman wrote:I watch these minor question deteriorate into a lot of blather sort of like "my Dad can Whip your Dad" or "I wouldn't own one of those things." Can we just sound out the big words in a question asked and watch or listen for some intelegence to come forth from those who may really know or have usefull answers. Just Sayin'. A few of us wouldbe steelers are not so smart about these subjects, or we wouldn't be seeking answers.
Jack, you're missing the context of the original ebay ad that went with this thread started in November of 2009 that you exhumed.

I basically agree with Bobbe Seymour's assertion that this was a ca. $200 wallpaper Maverick. OK, maybe they're worth a bit more - hell, this one sold for $650 and some of the nicer early birdseye maple versions trade for decent money. But $1000 dollars can buy you a helluvalot more pedal steel guitar in something like an older BMI, Dekley, or MSA - or any of several good modern starter pedal steels.

As I said before - my opinions, YMMV.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

I'll put my '69 Maverick (albeit heavily modded, thank you Harry Jackson) up against anything any of y'all are playing for pure tone, staying in tune like a ROCK, and just flat out cool factor. it doesn't play as silky as some of the more modern horns, granted, you gotta be a hoss to play a hoss.
Seriously, still bashin on Mavericks?
:roll:
Bob Fraser

Post by Bob Fraser »

Well with a few more mails like Joe Buckley’s maybe this can turn into a “I Like My Maverick” thread.. I will do what I can to help. Joe took the words right out of my mouth, from the point about being a beginner, to the sound, to the nostalgic look.
So, here it is - I like mine a lot and am still having a good time with it.

Here’s a shot of a common modification that contains something I have not seen yet. I have seen a few people add armpads, but with all the talk on this board about where to store picks and bars, I thought why not include a little cubbyhole at the left?

I would guess most pedal steels would have room at that end for small storage.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I would say if you are going to get a Maverick to tinker with..get the early version WOOD BODY model, I bought one new around 70 or 71 for $300 ! Then added a knee lever kit from Sho-Bud...

this one was not mine..google photo.

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website