Daniel Romano - Come Cry With Me (new classic-style country)

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Aaron Goldstein

Daniel Romano - Come Cry With Me (new classic-style country)

Post by Aaron Goldstein »

Daniel Romano is a gentlemen with whom I've had the distinct pleasure of playing and calling a friend for almost two years now. We've played together as sidemen in the group City and Colour, trading steel (me) and Tele (him) licks at all points of the globe, playing some of the finest rooms you could imagine. I've also been a member of his backing band the Trilliums, and we've worked promoting his last record Sleep Beneath the Willow all over North America, and in the Fall we had the opportunity to open for and back the legendary Wanda Jackson on a short US tour.

Well, next Tuesday January 22nd, Daniel's new record Come Cry With Me will be released on Normaltown Records, a new subsidiary of New West Records (Steve Earle, Drive-By Truckers, Kris Kristofferson, John Hiatt, Corb Lund). It's Dan's first opportunity to really gain some exposure in the US with an American record deal. I'm proud to have played steel on this record. My parts were recorded almost two years ago, and I will be the first to admit that my playing on this record is somewhat basic, especially compared to what I know the talent level of much of this forum to be. However I am mostly proud to be a part of this project because the SONGS are just so damn GOOD. You naysayers who insist that nobody is making real country music these days - prepare to be silenced. This record doesn't belong on today's country radio - it belongs on 1970's country radio. I invite you to listen for yourselves as the entire album is streaming, beginning today, at Exclaim.ca. Click here to hear it: http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/ ... bum_stream

I hope, if you like it, that you'll look for the album next week on iTunes; or perhaps go look for it in your local record store - they should be able to order it from New West if not on the shelf, on CD or LP; or even better, I hope you'll look out for Daniel on tour this year across the US. I will only be able to play with him selectively as I'll be returning to the City and Colour lineup, but regardless the makeup of the band he brings with him, he will certainly be singing some of the finest country songs you've heard in a while. I hope you enjoy the record.

Last edited by Aaron Goldstein on 15 Jan 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Updates from the road on Twitter
Traveling with Daniel Romano and his Trilliums Band
Custom '15 Show-Pro
'76 Sho-Bud LDG
Traynor YGM3s w EPS15s
Daniel Haymore

Post by Daniel Haymore »

Thanks for posting this Aaron! I am really looking forward to the new album. I really enjoy your playing with Daniel and Dallas, which is one of the reasons I decided to pick up the steel.

And I completely concur, this is real country music for any country music fans. And his previous records are great too, if you can get your hands on them.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Streaming now, great record so far! See you at the Victoria show Aaron.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Some really good stuff, but I have to say I think he made a mistake to use the cut of "A New Love Can Be Found" without you on the steel. The video you posted of just the two of you doing that song was one of my favorites last year, but this version just does not move me. The reverb (perhaps real hall tone?) is a bit much as well.

For those who missed the video the first time around, you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_xsyVklTqQ

I just think the simplicity of this song, with just the guitar, steel, and voice, is very elegant, and captures the mood of the song perfectly.

Doug
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Brett Barton

Post by Brett Barton »

great album. I look forward to picking up the LP.
Brett Barton

Post by Brett Barton »

great album. I look forward to picking up the LP.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

This is a really great album! I hope it will be a success.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Aaron Goldstein

Thanks for your kind words everybody. There are lots of touring opportunities coming up and I'm hoping to be able to appear as often as possible, schedule with C&C permitting.

In the meantime, Dan and I did a little live thing for Exclaim TV in Toronto this week. Coupla warts but not bad for 10am on a Monday!

Two videos: http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ExclaimTV/ ... exclaim_tv
Custom '15 Show-Pro
'76 Sho-Bud LDG
Traynor YGM3s w EPS15s
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

Nice work Aaron!!. You fill out the musical spaces just perfect I reckon.
Cheers
Chris Willingham

Post by Chris Willingham »

Thanks for posting this Aaron. I've worn out sleep beneath and the middle child release. Can't wait for this one. My 3 and 5 year old nephews cut a pretty mean harmony in the car to Time forgot. Ha.

Between you, Daniel and Corb Lund, Canada is quickly becoming the new home of real country music. Keep it coming!
Tim Windsor

Post by Tim Windsor »

Thanks Aaron, this is great stuff
Dave Petranek

Post by Dave Petranek »

Heard a cut on 'No Depression' last week. With the great steel, I had to purchase my first Country CD in ages.
Aaron Goldstein

So Dan has a new tune that he wrote essentially as a vehicle to allow me to play a variation on the Farewell Party break, without actually covering Farewell Party. I suppose some people might see this as blasphemous, but hey, it's just a bit of fun in the set.

We're on a promotional tour at the moment, hitting radio stations all down the Eastern Seaboard and then over to Nashville (WSM next week), but we've snuck in a couple gigs along the way. We're at the Basement at Grimey's on Tuesday night the 19th. Here we are in New York last night playing the aforementioned "(I Want To Hear) The Steel Guitar":

http://youtu.be/ms-yhseeMXk
Custom '15 Show-Pro
'76 Sho-Bud LDG
Traynor YGM3s w EPS15s
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Nice Aaron! Great show in Victoria couple weeks back, too.
Tommy Janiga

Post by Tommy Janiga »

They just played "Two Pillow Sleeper" on the Loft on Sirius - very nice!

And they segued out of it into Gram Parsons doing "Still Feeling Blue"
Mullen G2 SD10, Nashville 112, 1975 Fender Stratocaster, 1970 Fender MusicMaster Bass, 1971 Univox 1221, DH Baldwin Piano
Rob Williams

Post by Rob Williams »

Just discovered this artist. I love it.
Simmons SD10, Fender Twin Amp, Fender Telecasters
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Aaron, sure was good to meet you last Monday at The Tractor. I rather enjoyed your Farewell Party quote.
Lots of nice steel pickin that night.
Lana Carroll

Post by Lana Carroll »

Hey, y'all sound fantastic. Great stuff. Hopefully I can catch you next time you're in NYC.
Aaron Goldstein

Great to meet ya too Dave.

Lana, we're at the Bowery Ballroom tomorrow night (Tues May 21) playing on the Shooter Jennings show.
Lana Carroll

Post by Lana Carroll »

I'll be there!